Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daihatsu Hijet Micro Camper Conversion Build Project

Go down

Daihatsu Hijet Micro Camper Conversion Build Project Empty Daihatsu Hijet Micro Camper Conversion Build Project

Post by CamperConversion Tue May 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Hello,
New member here just bought my first Hijet, purchased solely as a conversion project with the aim of not actually adding any mileage in my ownership.  I'm doing this as I've had a couple of VW T4's and still own one and I just love the conversion process from a van to a campervan.  I couldn't see a conversions topic thread so I guess general is a good place to start, I documented every job I did to my current VW T4 on my youtube channel YouTube.com/CamperConversion and plan to do the same with this Hijet.  I purchased it off an Ozzie chap who covered 12,000 miles touring Europe and the UK in the past 8 months with just a basic full size bed in the back before he moved on to the US.  I've ripped everything out to start a fresh, put a full 12 month MOT on it to be sure it's in good enough condition to convert and the fun begins....

The first job I carried out was taking care of pretty much the only rust I can see on the van which is the inside wheel arches, apparently due to a previous owner squeezing a car engine in the back for transport and breaking through a lot of the paintwork allowing surface rust to appear.  After grinding back all the surface rust I could access, I used some Rustins rust remover to clean up the effected area's and it did a really good job.  I then used some hammerite Kurust to ensure no rust should encroach back and gave the arches a painting with hammerite paint to protect them.  Here's a video of the repair job:

Once the rust was taken car of and the van was MOT'd, i's time to start on the conversion, so I began by ripping up the household carpet & old chipboard floor, cleaning it all down and fitting a new 12mm plywood sheet down, cut to size leaving access to what I presume is the gearbox access cover, here's the video for anyone interested in following along with conversions:

CamperConversion

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet Micro Camper Conversion Build Project Empty Re: Daihatsu Hijet Micro Camper Conversion Build Project

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2018 9:00 pm

welcome, i subscribed to youre channel and wil watch the videos later this week.
greetings Smile

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet Micro Camper Conversion Build Project Empty Re: Daihatsu Hijet Micro Camper Conversion Build Project

Post by CamperConversion Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Lots more done on the van, not had chance to upload everything yet but here's a few updates:

Insulated the new plywood floor and laid down new Altro safety vinyl flooring:

Then it was insulation time, Celotex stuffed into every panel:

Roof required insulating so I used Jablite for that:

Just waiting for carpet to arrive now to finish the headlining I've made, getting there..

CamperConversion

Back to top Go down

Post by CamperConversion Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:25 am

I've not updated this in a while and now the van is complete and for sale, I thought it best to get some updates on, so here are all the jobs done since the last update through to completion:

Front seats swapped for Mercedes Recaro seats:

I fitted a window in the side sliding door:

I made and carpeted new ply panels:

Carpeted the sliding door:

Carpeted all the metalwork:

Made new headlining and installed that:

Fitted a skylight:

Fitted LED downlights wired to a remote dimmer:

Made an L shape corner sofa with removable section for gearbox/engine bay access:

Made a kitchen unit with 2 burner hob with splash back, sink with overflow and storage cupboards:

Removed some dents from the tailgate:

Sent the van in for new paint with a metal flake finish after I did the bodywork prep:

And thats it, here's a round up of all the jobs done now the van is officially registered as a camper on the V5:

The van is now listed on eBay as a Hijet camper waiting for its new owner to take it on new adventures, hope you found the above interesting,

CamperConversion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down