Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hijet camper conversion

+2
bfg
dee26173
6 posters

Go down

Hijet camper conversion Empty Hijet camper conversion

Post by dee26173 Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Can I ask anyone who has converted their hijet in to a camper to send me some pics of the inside please. I was initally going to go with an L shaped seating aka fold out bed i cant actually picture how im gonna secure it. I was also thinking of perhaps putting up a fake type roof and storing all my bits and bobs up there. Im basically gonna use it for weekends away with the dog hillwalking etc. Ive put 9mm ply down and some checkered lino and boxed the engine compartment. Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Dee
dee26173
dee26173
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Hijet camper conversion Empty Re: Hijet camper conversion

Post by bfg Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi Dee, nearly finished converting mine we had a 3 night break last week to test it out, not sure how to post pics but we have gone for a long bench down the drivers side and a small storage locker on the passenger side, cooker and sink are opposite each other at the rear and the front seats fold down forwards to make the head of the bed. biggest problem I've had so far is finding an awning, the one we bought originaly was massive and I've just sold it on ebay and purchased a smaller one.
bfg
bfg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:53 pm

I bought this awning and it's brilliant! very good service from the company too.

http://www.discover.co.uk/awnings/motorhome/outdoor-revolution-outhouse-handi-xl

I have been camping in mine simply by buying a pine futon and customising it to fit the bottom perfectly then putting a double futon mattress on top. It gives me storage underneath and on top the bed. I made groovy 60's retro curtains to fit all around the van, by using the material sideways (the pattern went either way) the drop was long enough to tuck down the side of the mattress (warm and toasty). I made a blind for the back, and a curtain for the windscreen. I put all the curtains on small round pine dowelling £1.49 each for an 8ft length in B&Q (used 3)
The dowelling (curtain rail) for the side sits neatly in the gully and them I cut the back and front dowelling just slightly longer than needed, if you put the sides in first then the front and back rods over the top, they all hold each other in place. I used no fixings and they take seconds to put in and out. If it's wet when we arrive we just put the table under the van and the boxes on the front seats.. find the pub, crawl back..sleep - simples!!
I will point out that it works for us as being more of a hiking, biking, wind-in-my-hair kinda gal, I do not need to have hair crimpers or a holdall of makeup, or have major panics if not near a luxury hotel etc.

We've been all over the place in the last two months and it works really well. Most campsites only charge about £20 high season for our little vans and you get loos and showers etc. Works for wildcamping as you can use nature's loo haa haa!

I also use solar panel lights, electric blue on a string (like santa lights) I loosened the internal roof bars and threaded string through length and widthways, makes it like a starry ceiling the lights cost £12 for two sets (the other goes in the awning) and by just having the panel charging on the dash you get really good light from dusk til dawn. Added bonus, you can spot your van on a dark campsite! If anybody wants to see my "girly van" just let me know and I'll put a FB link in a PM.

However.. having seen this - we now aim to eventually achieve similar. Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTITqa9xVyw

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 am

I'd love to see your "girlie van" Wink

This made me chuckle! "I do not need to have hair crimpers or a holdall of makeup, or have major panics if not near a luxury hotel etc." Amen!

Sounds like you've been having great fun in your Jet, and that video was great, that all in one box was great.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am

Ahhh.. making people laugh.. it's a gift Cool

Yeah, we've had a blast, I just love my Jet so much - right from nearly braining myself the first time over a speed hump, crapping myself (more soap Razz ) driving in a force 8 to Glastonbury Carnival through to becoming everyone's best friend for transporting stuff.

That video is wicked isn't it! brilliant idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 pm

They are good fun little vehicles really Smile

Mind you, I have found a new trick Very Happy

go over a speed bump (the road width ones) and then when the back wheels hit the bump, hit the brakes Razz
Gets the back wheels of the ground Smile

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:10 pm

My missus has ordered me to build one for the hijet I reckon I could do one to fit over the rear arches but will have to loose the small child from sitting in the back so there's enough room.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Not if your clever...

you could build a folding seat...

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by dee26173 Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:57 pm

I think I'm gonna go with kev's layout. Getting the bits and bobs tomorrow so hopefully will get some pics posted soon. Thanks to all who responded. Cheers kev for the pics.
dee26173
dee26173
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:23 pm

we (well she) wants the storage and the cooking facilities etc and thinks its cool not sure where she thinks her stock and stuff will go once we have the pack and go camper bed.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:00 pm

@ rich, what is a pack and go camper bed?

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:46 pm

what you posted the vid of on you tube it's a bed you pack it and go in your converted camper Arrow
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 pm

D'oh! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Badger_Lady Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:50 am

Hia,

My conversion was done professionally by JC Leisure and has a bunk running along the back on the driver's side, plus a kitchen unit on the passenger side with another bunk running underneath it (partly made up by a table).

It also has a leisure battery, 'leccy hookup, 12v volt fridge and porta potty under the main bunk.

Looks like this:
Hijet camper conversion Hijet111

Hijet camper conversion Hijet210

Hijet camper conversion Hijet310

I can't say I love it, mind... it's adequate for me and a guest, but I'd really like to make better use of the space and have the option for multiple passengers too. I've spoken to a chap who's come up with a quiet clever design...

1. Adjust the rails under the front seats so that you can slide them off backwards and put them back on the other way, increasing your camper space into the 'cabin'.

2. Fit cupboards down the sides at the rear - they're pretty shallow, just the width of the van at its roof taken vertically down to the floor. But they are very accessible and take away the weird angle.

3. Bench seat in the middle of the van has two belted seats facing forward, and another two facing backward. These fold flat into a bed area that extends over the front seats (but has a cut-out for the handbrake).

4. The gas cooker and sink are situated under the rear bench seats, but lift out and up via a lever. This means they're also handy for cooking 'outdoors' through the back door.

5. Extra pockets of storage are built into the pop-top roof (collapsable shelves) and above the windows in cubby holes.

I'm also going to re-line the van with a dark blue carpet and fit small LED's into the roof so they appear like stars Cool
Badger_Lady
Badger_Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Badger_Lady Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:13 am

Also check these out:
http://www.jcleisure.com/piaggio_porterhome.htm

The same company who did mine seem to have improved their design...
Badger_Lady
Badger_Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down