Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just bought a Piaggio Porter - and need some advice

4 posters

Go down

Just bought a Piaggio Porter - and need some advice  Empty Just bought a Piaggio Porter - and need some advice

Post by temby24 Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:05 pm

I have just bought a Piaggio Porter 2004, 1.3 petrol  (which I believe is the same as a Daihatsu Hijet - and on the 2nd outing it broke down!

Van suddenly stopped with no spark at the spark plugs off any coil pack, all earth points checked suspect Cam sensor or infighter has anyone had anything similar ??

I would appreciate any advice..........

Michelle
temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Just bought a Piaggio Porter - and need some advice  Empty Re: Just bought a Piaggio Porter - and need some advice

Post by Guest Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi Michelle. When you were trying to restart your engine were all the Dashboard lights coming on particularly the Orange engine shaped warning light. If they ARE all lighting up then was the engine turning over faster than usual and sound a little different turning over on the starter motor?
I know that is bit of a difficult question to answer as it was only the second time of driving it.
I am thinking first off that it may be the Cam sensor or it could be a broken cam belt.
If it is then the engine turns over faster and sounds different. Can you give it a try if you have the Porter back with you. Hopefully at the moment you haven't got it in with a Garage.

Back to top Go down

Just bought a Piaggio Porter - and need some advice  Empty Re: Just bought a Piaggio Porter - and need some advice

Post by temby24 Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 am

Hi woody.
The vehicle is with great my brother in law, an ex mechanic. He is 75% sure but it is the cam sensor but because they are really expensive he needs to be sure before ordering. There is also a broken black and blue wire in the same area that goes to earth, but can't locate where the other end of the break connects to, c so I have just bought a manual.
Engine turns over and timed correctly and cam belt fine.
Any more suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time X
Michelle
temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:44 am

you bought a manual..
they are free if you did a search on here.

take a look here
its a lott of info/brochures and manuals to view or download
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_uqxfTpiDWoVVNZX09tVm15WTA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:12 am

Sorry I was out all day yesterday. If you need a cam sensor I have some so no problem there. Just contact me on :
thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by temby24 Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:02 am

Thank you both for replying - Scotia and Woodie

Scotia - Unfortuantley I bought the manual before coming across this site, any future purchases I will check out on her first.

Woodie - I will get my brother-in-law to email you about the cam sensor.

Thanks x

temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Cam sensor fault = 99% of the time = snapped cam shaft.

Remove sensor from cylinder head. Look at end of cam.
Get someone to crank it over on the key while you watch the end of the cam.
Bet it doesn't turn.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by temby24 Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Thank you so much for your input - I will share this info with my brother-in-law (who I am sure can't wait to hear from me with further news about what could be wrong with "Vanda"!!)

I appreciate the advice on this forum.

Although I only had her for four days when she broke down, I haven't given up hope of ever getting her going again and I have named her "Vanda".
temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Well I hope for your sake Michelle that HJ isn't right - but he is 99%of the time. It will mean bent valves and possible damage to the valve seats and or Cylinder Head. Either way that is a cylinder head off job and replace the valves if seats are OK or more sensibly another Cylinder Head.

I noticed a couple of days ago that Maralions has a serviced Cylinder Head for sale for £80. I am sure that she will be delighted to sell it to you if you do need one. Certainly the quickest and easiest route to go. It is in Hi-Jet Parts for Sale. First advert.

Back to top Go down

Post by temby24 Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 am

Thank you Woodie, I really appreciate this info.

Michelle
temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:21 am

Hi Michelle. We haven't heard a squeak from you for some while now. How have you got on with your Porter problems? Have you got any news to report or has your brother in law got fed up and moved to another country??

Back to top Go down

Post by temby24 Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am

Hi woodie. How funny, bro in law is actually in another country. He decided he needed a holiday! He left still scratching his head over Vanda! He said cam shaft is ok. Cam sensor has no power going to it and lots of loose wires! He sent you some pictures? I haven't given up hope! Ian said he has emailed you some pics of loose wires which are foxing him! X
temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:34 pm

No, I haven't had an email from your brother yet Michelle.

Back to top Go down

Post by temby24 Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 am

He will send them again when he's back from holiday x
temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 am

OK, right thank you Michelle.

Back to top Go down

Post by temby24 Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 am

Hi Woodie

Just to say "Vanda" my Piaggio Porter is back on the road!!! Ian found the fault - something to do with the electrics!

I have to get my confidence back in her now...........

Thank you so much for your help on this forum.

Very Happy
Michelle
temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am

Thank you Michelle. Much appreciated.

Try to help most of you all, but sometimes (who said Always?) can be a bit impatient with "One Hit Wonders" and "I Want-ers".
We have all got to start somewhere and if you have never been on a Forum before it can be a bit daunting as I found out when I joined.

Back to top Go down

Post by temby24 Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I think the forum is fab and glad I came across it. I will have to upload a picture of "Vanda".

She's a bit battered and bruised, but so cute!
temby24
temby24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Lee Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:42 pm

temby24 wrote:I think the forum is fab and glad I came across it.  I will have to upload a picture of "Vanda".

She's a bit battered and bruised, but so cute!

Just like mine, a bit battered and bruised on the outside, but motor and rustwise very ok. All is being handled.

Don't have a name yet for my Piaggio, most of the time we call it the Vespa or the camion (Wich is Dutch for a heavy truck)

Looking forward to the pics.

I'me happy to with this forum, eases the mind to know there's help and know-how when you need it...

Ben.
Ben Lee
Ben Lee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Hmmm. Sounds just like me!!! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by ex-whitevanman Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:07 pm

a great forum this, learnt more about my porter reading threads on here since i joined, than i have in the 10 years of owning/driving them!
ex-whitevanman
ex-whitevanman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down