Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4x4 Hijet no drive.

2 posters

Go down

4x4 Hijet no drive. Empty 4x4 Hijet no drive.

Post by jbenny2 Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Good evening all,
My wife's Hijet 4x4 broke down today, after going to rescue her from the in-laws i found that it goes into gear fine, but as you lift your foot off the clutch slowly only the front prop shaft turns, i.e no drive to the back wheels and there is a terrible metal grating noise from the front diff and it won't drive forward. I'm assuming something has gone inside the back of the gearbox. It's a 2010 1.3efi MPV 4x4. spare parts are like rocking horse poo. Can anyone offer any advise on where to start. I havn't dared engage the difflock from the dashboard switch in case it does anymore damage. How is the 4x4 system configured on these. I assumed it was permanently driving all the wheel but with front, back, and center diffs allowing the wheels to travel at different speeds, and basically ending up with only 1 wheel spinning if you get stuck, but if you engage the switch on the dash it locks the center diff giving you 1 wheel on the front and 1 on the back driving. Does this sound right? The final drive out of the gear box looks like a straight take off from where the p.t.o would normally be and drives the front prop shaft. When you try and turn on tarmac with the diff lock switch on the dash on it just pushes straight on and won't corner. I know this because a couple of times it's stuck on after we used it to get out muddy fields and as you pull out onto the tarmac road you look like an idiot as the van just goes straight across the road. Simple fix is to stop, pop it into reverse roll back and it normally disengages fully. I'm getting it recovered back home tomorrow and up on axle stands over the weekend to see if i can understand what is happening. Any info anyone has got on how these work or where i might be able to get bits from is very much appreciated.
James

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

4x4 Hijet no drive. Empty Re: 4x4 Hijet no drive.

Post by jbenny2 Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:47 am

Quick update. I've been trawling the net and found this article about various 4 wheel drive systems.
LINK

Seems i've got a part-time all wheel drive system as this seems to fit the description the best,all apart from the no center diff. This mean the drive from the back of the gearbox tuns both front and rear props at the same speed this looks right as the output on the back of the gearbox is small and i don't think could contain a diff only a chain or gear drive. I'll try and upload a sketch in a bit.

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:02 am

Here's a crude drawing of the drive system.

4x4 Hijet no drive. Untitl10

I'll take some pictures when i get the van back home and up on axle stands in the garage.

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:04 am

maybe theres something here that can help you
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-EU12aMwyzONEZhRnNMVzhvN0U

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:22 am

From memory the output box is chain drive to the front axle. Could be the chain has let go and mangled up the drive assembly. Sounds pretty expensive unless you can find a complete 4x4 for spares. Buying the parts separately second hand will be very expensive as breakers will know what the parts are worth.

Buying a complete 4x4 would normally be the cheapest option overall, giving you a good selection of parts for the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:41 am

I've tried all the manuals and no mention in any of them about the 4x4 system. The only 4x4 manual on that page relates to an early one with a vacuum operated front diff lock, mine is an electronic soloniod. Might be the same mechanical components thought. Woddie i though i read somewhere that there was a chain drive to the front, this makes sense. I will have to open up the case and take a look this weekend. I might have a touch of luck and managed to source a 4x4 gearbox bounce

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:07 am

Update, go the van recovered home, RAC charged be £160 as it was more than 10 miles and the vehicle road tax had expired !!!! buts that's another story. Van jacked up on 4 axle stands and i found the front drivers side wheel was not tuning with the drive shaft. Turns out the splines inside the hub have rounded off
4x4 Hijet no drive. Sep_1611

Now all i need is a front hub and drive shaft for the 4x4 shouldn't be too hard to find Rolling Eyes

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:15 am

For those of you that wanted to see the 4x4 system I've taken a few pictures of the gearbox, transfer case and front diff if your interested.

4x4 Hijet no drive. Sep_1613

4x4 Hijet no drive. Sep_1612

4x4 Hijet no drive. Sep_1615

4x4 Hijet no drive. Sep_1614

I've got a lot of resources on these 4x4 systems now so happy to help if anyone has any technical issues. But i am starting to think i'm on my own as there is only 1 other 4x4 registered in the UK !

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:27 pm

jbenny2 wrote:Update, go the van recovered home, RAC charged be £160 as it was more than 10 miles and the vehicle road tax had expired !!!! buts that's another story. Van jacked up on 4 axle stands and i found the front drivers side wheel was not tuning with the drive shaft. Turns out the splines inside the hub have rounded off
4x4 Hijet no drive. Sep_1611

Now all i need is a front hub and drive shaft for the 4x4 shouldn't be too hard to find Rolling Eyes

I think you could use a non 4x4 front hub as they are splined with a dummy stub axle inserted.

Also you may be able to use parts of a terios front proper shaft - or you try to order a CV joint for your hijet 4x4 from somewhere.

Surely this should drive if you put the centre diff into lock mode?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:41 pm

I could have limped it home with the center diff lock engaged but the wheel was very loose on the hub due to the gap where the splines are missing. Also with an unknown transmission failure i didn't want to drive it any further in case i did serious damage to a part that can't be replaced.
I found this on eBay
eBay  HUB WHEEL AXLE STUB AXLE FRONT PIAGGIO PORTER QUARGO art.4350287Z01000
It looks right I'll just have to take a gamble on the splines being correct?

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Ok so i've changed the front flange and hub as the wheel bearing was full of metal filings from the splines. All back together and working but while it was up on axel stands in the garage i checked the oil levels in the diff's and transfer case and they are all a bit low. The Piaggio manual says to use SAE 80W-90 in the fluids section and SAE 75W-90 in the diff rebuild section. And i can't find anything about the 4WD transfer case or front diff? Does anyone know what oil should be used ?

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:42 pm

The difference between 80-90 and 75-90 in the application of a diff or splash gearbox will make zero difference in my worthless opinion.

Most diff's and gearboxes never even get an oil change ever, so having fresh oil, even if not quite the right spec, will increase the gearboxes life expectancy by a long way!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down