Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

top speed/ how fast do you drive yours??

+4
derekmwalshaw
HighlyJetted
leopard_pagan
chinfuk
8 posters

Go down

top speed/ how fast do you drive yours?? Empty top speed/ how fast do you drive yours??

Post by chinfuk Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:05 pm

hi. this feels like a silly question for such a van but...

i have a 993 hijet bus. i only realy drive it around town and through the twisty slow roads in the peaks and i cruise up to about 60mph where i can, it seems happy at around that speed. as there is no rev counter on these vans i'm not sure how much further i can push it, i need to do lots of motorway miles soon and would like to be able to sit at 70 most of the way.

how fast do you drive your 993.

i love my van and drive it very carefully and dont want to blow it up :-)

again it feels like a silly question for such a van, do any of you floor it and not worry about it. i realise the brakes and handling aren't up to much quicker then that any way buit i was just curious.

many thanks
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

top speed/ how fast do you drive yours?? Empty Re: top speed/ how fast do you drive yours??

Post by leopard_pagan Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:50 pm

In the 1L I had I'd only do 60 on motorways. I now have the 1.3 and STILL do 60-65 on motorways. I like my engine to last me a long time, thrashing the shit out of it will kill a small engine.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

top speed/ how fast do you drive yours?? Empty Re: top speed/ how fast do you drive yours??

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:19 pm

I dunno, 80's not to bad, but when the speedo is at 90 and beyond its working pretty hard.

Some vans are better than others, the one I've got in at the moment is proper pokey. Goes like a rocket!

Others have been a bit reluctant.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:16 pm

I don't know what makes them so different but some go like scalded cats and will easily pull 90 then another struggles to make 80. I guess it is a combination of all the engine setup being spot on.

The van I sold JJ on here went really well and the sign written van I bought for £250 would wheelspin at the least provocation and in third Rev limited at 64mph and got their very quickly too.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:46 pm

I wonder if the uprated fuel pump I have put in this one makes the difference.

I couldn't drive it before I fixed it as it wouldn't run Mad Rolling Eyes
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by derekmwalshaw Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:56 pm

chinfuk wrote:hi. this feels like a silly question for such a van but...

i have a 993 hijet bus. i only realy drive it around town and through the twisty slow roads in the peaks and i cruise up to about 60mph where i can, it seems happy at around that speed. as there is no rev counter on these vans i'm not sure how much further i can push it, i need to do lots of motorway miles soon and would like to be able to sit at 70 most of the way.

how fast do you drive your 993.

i love my van and drive it very carefully and dont want to blow it up :-)

again it feels like a silly question for such a van, do any of you floor it and not worry about it. i realise the brakes and handling aren't up to much quicker then that any way buit i was just curious.

many thanks
Mine is the 97 bus. I've taken the seats out and use it mainly as a van. If just me in it no seats and empty. In any strong winds on motorways its all over the place above 60mph. The more weight in van the more stable it is. So depending on weather it will cruise happily at 70mph. But the fuel consumption will be not good. So I keep it around 55mph which yields around 45mpg. Mine will pull anywhere in 5th gear above 35mph. My brother came back on the M1 after his mate broke down with his Suzuki 1000cc bike. Bike in back with rider. Bro and his mate, in front, both over 16st. Came back from Coventry to Barnsley at 60mph in 5th gear all the way and never missed a beat Very Happy

derekmwalshaw
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by mark81 Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:48 am

I sit at 60mph - fuel consumption is about 35mpg.

I have reached the end of the clock, so I guess its a strongish engine.

Thanks
mark81
mark81
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:32 am

I was talking to a customer last week and his L reg Hi-Jet has done 154,000 miles and is still going strong and sailed through the recent Mot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger D Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:13 am

Never had a problem holding 70 with my old 993cc. Similarly just come back from Cambridge (to Lancaster) in 1.3L and do regular long journeys but never feels I'm pushing the engine. It's cross winds that make me miss a beat, rather than the engine.
Roger D
Roger D

Back to top Go down

Post by Webolution Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:33 pm

My speedometer reachs 120 (...Km/h Laughing) on my 97 Porter bus... but I checked with a GPS and there was a diference of 10 Km/h...less...so actually it was 110 km/h aprox... but the same as others... a bit scary with sidewinds...
Webolution
Webolution

Back to top Go down

Post by ElwoodLivesey Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:34 am

I can't even remember.
ElwoodLivesey
ElwoodLivesey
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down