Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DVLA reclassification (not to a motorhome)

4 posters

Go down

DVLA reclassification (not to a motorhome) Empty DVLA reclassification (not to a motorhome)

Post by andautumn Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:22 am

Hi everyone

I need some advice about reclassifying my Hijet.

I want to take him over to France on the Dover to Calais ferry but it costs 3 times more than a car to take a van. Seafrance (RIP) used to classify Hijets as cars - now that P&O don't have any competition I guess there is no incentive for them to do the same Sad

I have pleaded with P&O ("my van is smaller than most cars, blah blah") but they are saying it MUST be booked in accordance with its classification in the vehicle log book. So, I'm investigating whether it's actually cost effective to put a back seat in the van and reclassify it. Does anybody know what the requirements are? I assume it would need a window in the back too?

Oh and it's LPG, so Eurotunnel isn't an option either Sad
andautumn
andautumn

Back to top Go down

DVLA reclassification (not to a motorhome) Empty Re: DVLA reclassification (not to a motorhome)

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Not so sure its that easy.

I know what you are saying, I've had ferry crossing cost problems too.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

DVLA reclassification (not to a motorhome) Empty Re: DVLA reclassification (not to a motorhome)

Post by andautumn Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 pm

I live in Cardiff so I have cost problems on the Severn Bridge too (£13.80!!) The guy on the toll told me to get a spare passenger seat and stand it up in the back when I go through the toll and they'll let it through as a car!
andautumn
andautumn

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:07 pm

M6 toll has some funny classifications too.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:55 am

andautumn wrote:I live in Cardiff so I have cost problems on the Severn Bridge too (£13.80!!) The guy on the toll told me to get a spare passenger seat and stand it up in the back when I go through the toll and they'll let it through as a car!

I find it varies when I go over the bridge, the last time she asked me if I slept in it, so I said, yes, there's a bed in there, I camp in it! And she replied, well that makes it a camper then so itle be £6.60
Although I notice campers aren't mentioned on the website now!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:56 am

I have come up against the occasional "Jobsworth Hitler" on Red Funnel. I have told them that it is smaller than a Ford Fiesta and it is my private transport.

So long as the van isn't sign written I get away with it or sweet talking them if necessary. With my MPV it isn't a problem or my Romahome which is about six inches wider than the van or pick-up and two feet longer, but only just squeezes under the hight restrictions.

On the Cowes floating bridge if I use a van it is classed as Commercial but with the bigger Romahome it's a car. Does depend a bit on the ticket collector though. Most of them are sensible.

With the point about the Registration Documents, if you have a pre-2000 Hi-Jet it will be classified as Private Light Goods as all cars were. If you are not sure, if you pay around £78 for 6 months Road tax it's PLG.
If you pay around £125,, then it is l
Light goods.
So if you have a pre-2000 van and fit windows to the sliding doors and stick a seat in there ( but don't use it as your insurance won't cover you) and produce the lob book (Reg Documents) and are insistant it's got to be worth a shot I would have thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Calmac up here' charge the same for anything under 5m.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Good grief!! Why can't English money grabbing, tight fisted businesses have the same philosophy ?? No chance of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by andautumn Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:49 pm

elfin girl wrote:
andautumn wrote:I live in Cardiff so I have cost problems on the Severn Bridge too (£13.80!!) The guy on the toll told me to get a spare passenger seat and stand it up in the back when I go through the toll and they'll let it through as a car!

I find it varies when I go over the bridge, the last time she asked me if I slept in it, so I said, yes, there's a bed in there, I camp in it! And she replied, well that makes it a camper then so itle be £6.60
Although I notice campers aren't mentioned on the website now!  

It does definitely depend on the person in the toll booth. I didn't realise campers were £6.60! Will put a mattress in the back and try that next time. The previous Hijet I had (RIP) had a blacked out window in the back, I used to tell the person on the toll there were seats. They aren't gonna get out the booth to check!
andautumn
andautumn

Back to top Go down

Post by andautumn Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:52 pm

UPDATE: After more badgering, I received this response from P&O:

If any commercial goods are being carried or the vehicle is panelled then it would be classed as a van. If there are windows and seating in the rear then it can be booked as a car.

Anybody got rear seats or a bench seat for sale?!

andautumn
andautumn

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Take 2 wheels off it and classify it as a motorcycle,
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:27 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Take 2 wheels off it and classify it as a motorcycle,

lol!
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by andautumn Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:05 pm

Logi wrote:
HighlyJetted wrote:Take 2 wheels off it and classify it as a motorcycle,

lol!

Well I did think about getting some seat covers and stuffing them with clothing, which isn't much less of a crazy idea!
andautumn
andautumn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down