Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wont start after head gasket replacement

3 posters

Go down

Wont start after head gasket replacement Empty Wont start after head gasket replacement

Post by bendillon Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:45 am

So, after my joys with buying an overheating hijet, and then replacing the head gasket, and re-doing the coolant system, she won't start...

I made sure the timing belt was put back to where the marks I made were, checked for a spark, checked that fuel is pumping in, but still nothing.

Any ideas? she's a 1998 1300 EFI.

On another note, she needs a new coolant pipe for the piece between the filler and the head, underneath the passenger's seat, but they are incredibly expensive to buy. Has anyone found any ingenious way of getting something to bend around at that horrible angle? Would having this pipe disconnected, and the system not full of coolant stop it from starting? (I was only going to see if it all fired up, and wasn't going to let it run for more than 10 seconds without coolant in it).

Any help would be appreciated, and feel free to shoot me down if I'm being an idiot, I don't know what I'm talking about!
bendillon
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Wont start after head gasket replacement Empty Re: Wont start after head gasket replacement

Post by bendillon Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:38 pm

After a few more nights work, she still isn't starting...

I've checked that the 'F' is at the top, on the head pulley, and the drilled mark is at the indicator on the bottom pulley. I've reused the cam belt, as it had only done about 100 miles, and so there was no 'mating marks' on the belt, as mentioned in the manual...

There doesn't seem to be much air draw in the intake either...

Only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with the cam sensor? or that I've f**cked the entire thing up...
bendillon
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Wont start after head gasket replacement Empty Re: Wont start after head gasket replacement

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:04 pm

If there is no vacuum present then you have the cam timing wrong.

Wont start after head gasket replacement 1300_c10
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:33 pm

double checked, and the marks do all line up like the diagram, there is a small vacuum, just not as much as I'd expected (but then i don't know how much to expect!)
bendillon
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:32 am

Does the 1300 have cps or a dizzy like the 993 efi if like the 993 check it's aligned correctly.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:16 am

Mine is a twin coil pack version, so no dizzy to deal with!

Turned out that I have 16 bent valves. Fun for me. Cheers for the help though
bendillon
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:45 pm

16 bent valves has to be caused by something.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Yupp, you were right, first time I had the timing out. I took off the cambelt and did it properly, but the damage was already done...

So, new engine time for me... If you have any tips on swapping engines, I'm all ears!
bendillon
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:38 pm

I'd just take the head off in situe, then get the head redone. Valves are cheap.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:43 pm

I've got the head off, sitting in the back of the van. Where do you get your heads redone then?

I couldn't find valves for that cheap either, I reckoned it would have cost about the same as buying a new engine (that and I'm no mechanic).

At least now I'll have spares...
bendillon
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Valves will be about £8 each at a guess. Not all of them will be bent.

I use a local guy in a unit, who is now really good with Daihatsu heads as I've taken him about 30 over the last 6 years!

But he doesn't do main order etc.

Expect to pay about £70 for labour at an engine machining place to do the valve job. Plus like £50 to get it skimmed.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bendillon Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:55 pm

Amazing, thanks HJ! Nah you're right, I was exaggerating when I said 16 bent valves, but it's still the majority unfortunately.

I'll ring around some local places then.
bendillon
bendillon
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down