Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piaggio porter 1.4 diesel as lack of power . Can any one help?

5 posters

Go down

Piaggio porter 1.4 diesel as lack of power . Can any one help? Empty Piaggio porter 1.4 diesel as lack of power . Can any one help?

Post by my3496 Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi All,
I have just purchased a piaggio porter 1.4 diesel pickup 2001 model with 41,000 on the clock. But for some reason I can only get to 50MPH top speed and it can just about get up hills, then I get a terrible vibrating noise coming in the cab, the steering does not shake or anything like that, and seems to lack power for a 1.4, is there anything that can be done to get the pickup to go a bit faster, thank you

my3496

Back to top Go down

Piaggio porter 1.4 diesel as lack of power . Can any one help? Empty Re: Piaggio porter 1.4 diesel as lack of power . Can any one help?

Post by Raggy Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Not had any personal experience but the diesel version has previously been described on here as 'gutless' and not the most powerful thing on 4 wheels.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Piaggio porter 1.4 diesel as lack of power . Can any one help? Empty Re: Piaggio porter 1.4 diesel as lack of power . Can any one help?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Apart from an Exocet Missile or a gallon of petrol and a box of matches, no. In a new 1400 the best you could expect was around 65mph on the flat, and an old 1200 tops out around 55mph. Whereas the 1300 16v will do nearer 90mph and not a lot less mpg.
You have really gone for a baptism of fire, buying a Diesel Hi-Jet. Brave man. Mad

If the engine is shaking, and even more gutless than normal it is most likely not running on all 4 cylinders. So most likely it will be one of the injectors.
There aren't to my knowledge any Diesel experts on the Forum, although one of our members has experience of running Diesel Hi-Jets, but sadly we don't see much of him these days due to work commitments.
You ideally need to get a good Diesel Mechanic preferably with Lombardini experience. Failing that a Daihatsu Dealer with a Hi-Jet Diesel experienced mechanic. Hens teeth. I wouldn't hold your breath too long though. One small piece of comfort is that the body work and running gear are the same apart from the gearbox and propshaft. I hope that you can find some answers on here and we have new people joining nearly every day so you may possibly get lucky. I hope so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadie Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:43 pm

For some comparison I have the 1.2 diesel with similar miles on the clock and 50 is definitely on the slow side if it's a flat bit of road. Mine can exceed that (but not by much) with a demountable on the back of it adding wind resistance and weight. Vibrating to some extent is to be expected, they're very unrefined an underpowered even for diesels. It's hard to say without first hand experience of it, but it could be a case of "They all do that, Sir". To be sure you probably need to find someone nearby with experience of one to test it out.

Roadie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Having been Service and Warranty Manager for Romahome for two years, I got to drive my share of 1400 Diesel Hi-Jets both Vans and Pickups with Meals on Wheels bodies and Workhorse Bodies and the Caravan Bodies on.
It is where my loathing of the Diesel Hi-Jet comes from. I do have a 1200 Diesel Van with 72,000 on the clock at the moment for sale whole for spares. The engine is very smooth once it is warmed up, and down hill will do 60. But the engine shakes on tick-over when cold as one would expect. Engine mountings are good. That may be an issue with the above van. It is easy enough to look at the mountings from underneath. Both Diesels I sold last year were smooth enough when under load too.

A 1400 should certainly be another 5-10mph quicker especially with the low mileage that one has done. Definitely needs a Diesel Mechanic to check it out.

Back to top Go down

Post by my3496 Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Going up a steep bank i can just about do 30mph in 3rd gear and thats revving the hell out of the engine. if im on a straight doing about 50mph in 4th gear and then i go into 5th gear its start losing speed so i have to go back into 4th gear to keep the speed up. I`ll be quicker on a bicycle lol.

my3496

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadie Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Yeah, that's a problem. Have you checked the easy things like after a reasonable length of journey, are any of the wheels warm, or is there noticeable heat coming from the brakes? Something as simple as a slightly dragging brake could be dulling the already slothful performance, but not being noticeable if you aren't actually looking for it. Assuming you're not braking much (at those speeds why would you be!) they should be pretty much stone cold.

Roadie

Back to top Go down

Post by my3496 Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:30 pm

I`ve just checked the prop shaft and it got lots of play. Could that be why im having lack of power?

my3496

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:38 pm

No!

Back to top Go down

Post by my3496 Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Could the problem be the E.G.R Valve?

my3496

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:38 pm

It could be any one or any of many different problems. Have you checked out the injectors yet?? The only way you are going to find out is to find someone local who has Diesel experience with Commercial Vehicles. It is as easy  or as hard as you want to make it.
Buying a vehicle blind without doing your homework first, or going over it thoroughly before buying it is always dodgy especially if you have a limited budget.
You couldn't have picked a much dearer on spare parts vehicle than the Hi-Jet unfortunately.

Back to top Go down

Post by my3496 Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:07 pm

It was the E.G.R Valve. I cleaned the E.G.R Valve and now it goes really good .

my3496

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Well done that man. Shows what you can do when you put your mind to it. 65mph yet? 70? It would be interesting to know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Dur...whats the ERG valve and how does it make it faster?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:55 pm

Exhaust Gas Recirculation I am hazarding a guess at.

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Correct, I believe.

It doesn't make it go faster but, if blocked up, it could slow things down.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Blank it off.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down