Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

general stereo installation questions and ideas-

2 posters

Go down

general stereo installation questions and ideas- Empty general stereo installation questions and ideas-

Post by danielfrisbee Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:51 pm

I'll add photos to this of what I end up doing and the progress so it isn't just me sucking knowledge without giving anything back.

Since it's years since I had a car I'm going to milk the opportunity to pimp it a bit with a fun stereo set up, ordered some 6.5" speakers for the front doors with separate tweeters to mount either in the bottom corners of the windscreen or somewhere similar, and two 8" speakers which I plan to mount into the boot door, near the rear lights. I've had a look and there seems lots of room there, though I plan to put a bit of ply and mount it an inch or two out from the main boot panel which I'll then fit on top, so that there's room for the speakers and possibly a bit of a boom-box enclosure happening. I've looked at the cables entering the boot door at the top and then running down the sides, looks like it will be fiddly to get in there but seems to make sense to use the same access point rather than making a new one. (any tips?)

Putting speakers in the boot door seemed to make the most sense as you won't lose width space for fitting stuff in there and it should also send the sound forwards towards the driver. (It's an mpv still with all the seats that I'm working on).

The other place to put speakers would seem to be that back panel beyond the sliding door, like the sides of the boot, and would've been easier. But I think it makes more sense to have them coming forward and they're also hidden at the back more easily.

The front speakers I'm thinking to mount a bit lower in the door as otherwise the windows can only be wound down 3/4, but in the summer I'll feel cheated if I can't at least get the driver's window all the way down.

I'm also building a central column to fit the head unit and somewhere to keep bits and bobs. Half thought to make a small sub enclosure there too but will see how the first round sounds.

So, any tips very welcome, however I'll also chronicle my project so it might be useful to any other sad cases that think doing something similar is worth the fuss. For me, the van is a dream come true rather than a practical run-around (though it is also that), so I'm planning to try and make the whole thing as great as I can-
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

general stereo installation questions and ideas- Empty Re: general stereo installation questions and ideas-

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Added speakers in front door recently, (Thread here) There are already hole positions in the door cards, just take the card off the door and feel through the plastic, you should find the pre cut holes etc. May not be big enough for the speakers you want but would be a start.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

general stereo installation questions and ideas- Empty Re: general stereo installation questions and ideas-

Post by danielfrisbee Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 pm

hi raggy..
can you wind your windows all the way down? I've looked under the door panels and poked around, but was thinking due to the window not opening that I'd cut a bit of the car off and put them lower.. Unless that would cause problems I haven't thought of. Interesting other thread, had already thought of the roof flashing stuff-

also, what did you wire your stereo to? I'm thinking of trying the cigarette lighter as I don't need that and am chopping off that part of the dash-
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:25 pm

My radio was fitted in the console that came with the van, I wired it to the cig lighter for permanent power and found another cable underneath for switched power. Dont know which wire or what it supplied as I just kept testing for one till I found one that did the job! Not the best way but I couldnt make head nor tail of the wiring diagram and I am no electrician!
Yes my windows go up and down (once I fixed the loose glass!) as mine are installed in the factory preset holes in the cards. Mine were 10cm speakers. Keep the thread updated, trying to do that with mine so it may help others.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:31 pm

On mine when I take the door panels off and wind down the window the glass comes forward rather far, but perhaps the depth of 10cm speakers (under 5cm) still manages.
I'll update this certainly. Good news for the cigarette wire, I've no idea how to find a permanent live either, and was considering running a new one from the battery to then also use to power an amp/sub set up further down the road, though if the current attempt sounds ok I'll leave it at that. Thanks raggy
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Try the search option on the top menu next to FAQ and search for 'radio' turns up some interesting threads, one here has some interesting radio mount optionsĀ Radio Threads
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:40 pm

yup, been through all those, and plan on raising the bar...
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:44 pm

To find a live feed you just in its simplest form is a bulb and a wire connected to either connection. Connect one end to earth, I used a bolt near the hand brake and use a sharp probe ( OK a sharpened nail etc) connected to the other wire and use it to press i to a suitable wire in the harness. When the light comes on you have a live feed, then check again with keys out, see if light goes out etc. Simple but effective.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:00 pm

just to clarify, get a 12v bulb, earth one wire and stab a needle into wires under the dash until the bulb lights? I can definitely do that- sounds quite ingenious. If I've misunderstood something do let me know!
many thanks
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Basically, wire from earth to one connector on bulb and wire from other connector on bulb to probe. Must fine an app I can draw with, easier than trying to explain it!
general stereo installation questions and ideas- Image13
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:19 pm

was about to make the probe, when I found this...

is that a plug for plugging in car stereos? It looks like it is but a trawl on the internet and here hasn't unearthed the truth--

Tempted to butcher it and start mashing wires together but if it's important or useful for something else then it would be better if I didn't destroy it-

general stereo installation questions and ideas- WP_20160129_19_00_50_Pro
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down