Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is my accelorator pedal a bit sticky or are they all like that?

4 posters

Go down

is my accelorator pedal a bit sticky or are they all like that? Empty is my accelorator pedal a bit sticky or are they all like that?

Post by danielfrisbee Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:49 am

currently getting to know (and falling deeply in love) with my new 1999 hijet mpv. One thing I find odd though is that the accelerator pedal is quite resistant for the first 20% or so, and then easy for the rest. I've adapted how I'm using my foot but it's tricky to regulate the revs with the clutch while parking, have stalled a few times. I was thinking perhaps the cable from the pedal to the engine is mucky like an old bike cable would be. I sprayed some oil around to no avail. If that's how they are, so be it, but it would be nice if it were smooth...
thanks!
(also.. my petrol lever likes to get stuck near empty and then bounce back a day later,.. is that another case of a cable that might need a clean?)
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

is my accelorator pedal a bit sticky or are they all like that? Empty Re: is my accelorator pedal a bit sticky or are they all like that?

Post by Raggy Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:27 am

Thats how I found my accelerator to be when I first got mine, dont notice it now so I presume its normal. As for the fuel guage, not had it myself but the hijets are well known for having a sticky or non working fuel guage and its usually said its the sender in the tak thats at fault. Its a float in a tube and it sonetimes comes out of the tube hence not working or yours may just be getting stuck? Dont think its easy to get to, sure someone will be along shortly who has more actual expeience of it.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

is my accelorator pedal a bit sticky or are they all like that? Empty Re: is my accelorator pedal a bit sticky or are they all like that?

Post by PFM Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Yes, the tank sender is often the culprit - it is usually repairable but you have to drop the tank - fiddly as there's several small hoses connected to the top which aren't much longer than they need to be. A note of mileage when you last filled is useful to predict when you may run out, and a can of juice is a good idea just in case.

Pedal shouldn't be stiff - have a look at the pedal pivot and make sure it's not obstructed by carpet etc. Might just need a bit of lube there.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:02 pm

My accelerator has two settings - ON and OFF - they both work beautifully! Tried lubing the cable and pedal mechanism when I got it which made it a little smoother in operation but not much difference. Soon just got used to how it feels and don't really notice anymore.

My fuel runs dry when the gauge shows 1/4 tank left but on the plus side, when I fill it up the needle goes waaay past full. Wondered if the sender might be dislodged but as long as it stays like this consistently I'll just live with it and aim to refill when the gauge is at 1/2 way. Yours sounds more unpredictable.

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:14 pm

thanks, all great information. Currently fitting a stereo to distract myself, and will just adapt to the accelerator and have also tried lubricating it again.
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:29 pm

Greetings Dan. The only way that you can lubricate the cable thoroughly is to take it right off, which is a take the front bumper off, major job and coil it up and soak it in oil in a round container.
If you decide to go to all that trouble then you would be better to put a new cable on, and be done with.
Or alternatively Carry on Regardless.

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:50 am

thanks woodie. I've only had it a week so probably a bit early to pull it to bits, though planning on keeping it until one of us dies so will probably end up trying that at some point. I guess you could get the top part of the cable and make a tight seal around it and put a funnel full of oil on and let it drip through...? Though I'm just ignoring it for the moment, however it does mean I accelerate either too much or too little quite regularly.. which probably isn't ideal~
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:06 am

ps is that your van in your profile image? Did you put the extra window in the side..? Looks fab. I was thinking about maybe doing something like that at the front, as I like looking at the sky, and compared to other cars I've had I find the view cuts out a bit low. I'll get used to it but would love the windscreen to keep going up and back another foot...
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:43 am

As you say Daniel. Not ideal when you plant the front of your pride and joy into the car in front (LOGI, behave!!) of you. The main problem with the cable is that there are so many attachment brackets and several tight bends in the cable. The cable always splits and cracked on these points and that's where the problem lies. Rust.
Yes it is my van, although I now have a set of brand new SE Alloy wheels on it with 185/60 /13 Tyres or they were when I put them on. The MPV had been a Mobility Vehicle with a ramp and a winch to pull a wheelchair up inside and then strapped down with 4 special mounting plates.
The Vista windows were so the occupant of the wheelchair could see out. It had only done 27,000 miles when I bought it. It is an 03 plate. It also has the bonus of LPG too. I paid £2,100 for it 3 years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:40 pm

That does sound like a complicated bit of cable. I'll leave it for a while before deciding if it's worth excavating.
Good job on the van..! I don't understand the alloy wheels thing in general, is it just aesthetic or are they actually better? Anyway, thanks for the advice.
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down