Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedo cable problem 1.3 EFI 2003------FIXED------FIXED-----READ HERE FOR SPEEDO CABLE INFO----

2 posters

Go down

Speedo cable problem 1.3 EFI 2003------FIXED------FIXED-----READ HERE FOR SPEEDO CABLE INFO---- Empty Speedo cable problem 1.3 EFI 2003------FIXED------FIXED-----READ HERE FOR SPEEDO CABLE INFO----

Post by themack Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi,

My speedo cable broke years ago, hence every year it does very little miles Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I have a Lpg system so it has always been very useful to me to remind me to switch onto LPG whenever I go long distances Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I have had the cable that comes from the gearbox to the speedo replaced this year as I thought it would be good thing to do, but it lasted about 10 miles and then broke again. The speedo needle was bouncing up and down a lot and then it packed up again.

I have been unsure what to do? Do I just replace the gearbox to speedo cable again or does the binnacle need changing as well?

Thanks Again, Chris.

Last edited by themack on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

themack
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Speedo cable problem 1.3 EFI 2003------FIXED------FIXED-----READ HERE FOR SPEEDO CABLE INFO---- Empty Re: Speedo cable problem 1.3 EFI 2003------FIXED------FIXED-----READ HERE FOR SPEEDO CABLE INFO----

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:36 pm

Well if you're speedo hasn't been working for all this time then you can't be doing any driving over 45 - 50mph for any distance or you would be experiencing engine dying problems.
Have you replaced the whole cable - inner and outer or just the inner cable each time. If you have replaced the whole cable then I am at bit of a loss to understand why the inner should keep breaking.

Back to top Go down

Speedo cable problem 1.3 EFI 2003------FIXED------FIXED-----READ HERE FOR SPEEDO CABLE INFO---- Empty Re: Speedo cable problem 1.3 EFI 2003------FIXED------FIXED-----READ HERE FOR SPEEDO CABLE INFO----

Post by themack Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi Woody,

I can confirm it runs fine on LPG without speedo cable. Been using it for years. Sometimes it will even run on Petrol fine, but only very occasionally.

Lpg does have a fix kit ecu onboard though..

The inner and outer were changed at the same time, the one that bust before had worn out at the binnacle end of the inner cable.

Chris.

themack
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Well I can't think of why it should keep breaking. The gearing in the speedo head isn't exactly robust enough to cause the cable to snap unless it is mangled up inside and the inner cable is rotating inside the quadrant and that is chewed up. Have you tried taking the cluster out and running the speedo up with a battery drill to see if the needle is moving and the Odometer working?

As you say, the LPG has its own ECU under the passenger seat and isn't reliant on the road speed signal from the speedo head. Get the cable issue sorted and change the speedo head or whole cluster and you will be able to run it on petrol again - - which is kind of handy at times. Its not as though you can carry a spare 5litres of LPG in a can with you. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by themack Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi Woody,

I think I am with you on this one. I reckon the cable from speedo has degraded where it meets the gearbox cable. Odometer worked when it was connected, I checked the replacement cable and it looked in usable condition. I guess a strip down and inspection is the way forward..

Thanks, I will report back.

Chris.

themack
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by themack Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Woody,

I just called up Speedycables in Abercrave, Swansea Valley as you suggested. They say they either need the actual cable itself OR THE NAME, MONTH AND YEAR of anyone who has had a Hi jet Speedo cable repalaced. If they have those details then they can make the cable up WITHOUT THE COST OF SENDING THEM THE BROKEN CABLE, as it already has the information on their job sheets.

So I am asking any forum members if they have had there speedo cables replaced by Speedycables, Wales.

Cheers Chris.

themack
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:07 pm

I can't remember who I have recommended them to Chris.Not everyone takes a reccomend action, but I do know some have.
What ever happens you have got to take the cable off. Sending it to them coiled up in a Jiffy bag is only going to be around £3.50.

Back to top Go down

Post by themack Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:57 am

Hi,

Well I found the cable that was removed and will now post. Pics for the forum...

themack
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Pushing it a bit for Christmas Chris. I just hope that they remember that it is the Season of Goodwill, especially towards Hi-Jet Forum Members. Remember to mention that as it will help other members in the future.  santa

Back to top Go down

Post by themack Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:08 am

FIXED Smile  CONTACT SPEEDYCABLES AND QUOTE MY REFERENCE MR C NELSON. I HAVE SPENT A LOT OF TIME AND TWO SPEEDO CABLES LATER IT IS SORTED IT WAS JUST UNDER £50. BOTH MINE SNAPPED ON INNER NEAR GEARBOX.

themack
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:31 am

New custom cable is the ticket to success, old hijet cables will all be past it really. Thanks for feedback
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down