Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dashboard Lights

4 posters

Go down

Dashboard Lights Empty Dashboard Lights

Post by Raggy Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Took the plunge and removed the dash unit to look at the bulbs and they were not blown but quite black. Quick trip to car shop and new bulbs fitted...not that much better! can at least see the needle now! Seen on here that some changed the bulbs for LED versions, are these brighter and better of is it a case of they are what they are and its a matter of sorting out a better way to get the light to the actual dials?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Dashboard Lights Empty Re: Dashboard Lights

Post by bushwhacker Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:37 pm

LED bulb are brighter and better but above all consistent. Mine have been in for about five years now and haven't changed; it is said they will last for 25 years (without dimming I believe) so they will see the Hijet out.

They are not perfect; I have difficulty seeing the right hand digit / edge of the mileometer -- only bright sunlight seems to allow that bit to be seen properly. However, I used white LEDs, apparently one should use the same colour as the lens / filter otherwise it comes out slightly 'muddy'.

I would suggest a trip to Halfords -- they used to do some blue LEDs of the right size but they said that green ones could be ordered. (They were not in the car bulb section but in another one for customising things). If they are anything like the blue ones I would think they might be too bright but one can only try. (They were about £4 for two, you need three).

The bulb I used was a tight fit so you might need to persevere with it, it did go in.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:57 pm

Will have a look, thanks.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Thought I would update this thread with the latest, decided to try some small strips of LED lights inside the instrument unit. Only cost £2.98 (eBay Link) so not a great deal if it didn't work...but its worked a treat!
Dashboard Lights Imag0210
Before with brand new bulbs
Dashboard Lights Imag0213
New lighting with headlights not turned on
Dashboard Lights Imag0212
New Lighting with headlights turned on.
It looks a little brighter than it actually is as camera kept brightening the picture and couldn't find out how to turn that feature off. One thing I did notice though, and didn't notice before because they were so dim, was that the bulb over the warning lights actually gets turned off when the headlights are turned on to driving lights, which is quite handy now they are brighter for night time driving.
I wired the LED strip -ve leads into the original bulb holders and fed the LED +ve with a separate feed, so they are on so long as ignition is turned on, which is OK for dull days which don't actually need driving lights. The strips (3)  were placed above the slot that lets the light through the black surround inside the display.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by chaindrive Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:37 pm

I have now done a similar mod to the dash using a couple of small led's hot glued to the inside of the dash surround
Dashboard Lights Leddas10
Dashboard Lights Dash10
chaindrive
chaindrive

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Why remove the dash? I did it with a good reach-around. You can reach the bulb holders and twist them out. Not really easy, but way less effort than removing the entire dash. If I remember correctly they are T10 bulbs. I used red ones, because I am the romantic type. And the red light is easier on the eyes at night.

BUT! I used cheap China man led bulbs, so after 5 minutes they turn off... I think they get too hot and some solder joints fail... So make sure you use good ones.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

Post by chaindrive Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:11 pm

I didn't remove the dash, just the the small black surround, I had already spliced into the wire for dash lighting,
so they only come on when the lights are on.
The led's were plucked out of some twist holders I had for another dash fix
chaindrive
chaindrive

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 am

Looks good, mine lasted about a year before they started to fail. Now I just replaced the twist in bulbs with LED versions but the change that made all the difference was to swap the instrument facia background from black to white.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down