Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temperature Guage and Heating

3 posters

Go down

Temperature Guage and Heating Empty Temperature Guage and Heating

Post by Raggy Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Just drove my new van (Skylark, a 997 P reg lift up top camper) and although it drove home fine (40mile down M62 and A1 at 55-60) did notice a couple of things. As I was a bit wary of the overheating issue I put he heater to hot and the fan on. Kept an eye on the temp guage and it didnt move all the way home, also no hot air out of the outlets. Thought guage failed but as we needed to move cars around on the drive, when I finally moved van in front of garage (about 5-10mins after getting home) the guage did move and rose to about 1/4 way up.
Now is this normal behaviour as I had the heating setting to hot from the start of am I worrying over nothing?

Did have a big grin all the way home driving it but been told thats normal!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Temperature Guage and Heating Empty Re: Temperature Guage and Heating

Post by Logi Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:13 pm

There's no hot out of the vents, but should be out of the widow demisters and floor vents. Sounds like a missing thermostat?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Ah didnt realise that no hot air from there, may explain only cold air as had it set to face not screen. So temp guage staying at min is normalish on a steady drive? Van did seem warm at start as vents were set to something else (cant remember what) so it may be that it is OK after all? Best have a look at owners guide to familiarise myself with controls I think!

Edit: Just read the manual...doh...yes, cold air only to face, ah well, first lesson learnt! Many more to come!
Cant be Thermostat (not looked though) as the needle did rise to 1/4 way when we moved them onto drive after getting home.

Maybe bit more testing needed when I get it taxed on Thursday

Last edited by Raggy on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:35 am

Water can heat up when parking the vehicle with a warm motor because the water pump doesnt pump it around through the rad. After restart you can have a higher reading than while driving. So it can well be the stat. Also the sensor can be faulty or alike.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Had a bit of a test today, (only on drive as not taxed yet) started it and let it warm up, felt both top and bottom rad hoses, both got warm/hot, hot air from vents, guage up to just under half way and fan kicks in, temp drops, fan stops. Checked under passenger seat, no water evident in engine bay ( apart from where it should be!). Water in ovrflow bottle down just over min, water up to very top of rad cap on pipe leading to overflow bottle (if that makes sense).
Seems OK but I suppose only time will tell when I get her out on the road properly I suppose.
Had a good delve around but at moment its like blind leading blind!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Sounds fine so far. But it should warm up while driving, too. If not its most likely the stat that is stuck open.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:37 pm

If its stuck open, would that affect the test I did when I let it get hot on drive or do you think its come unstuck now and behaving itself? Just a bit paranoid I think after reading all the trials and tribulations on here. Trouble is people only usually post to get help not when they are working just fine. Thanks for all the comments so far. Hope I've dropped on with this one, certaininly does not look 17 years old mechanically anyway, bodywork is fine, just some interior could do with smartening up, new sliding door cards, new wall covering etc. Will post some pic when I get chance.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:33 am

I didnt get you completely because of my bad english. Did you drive the car around while testing or was the car standing still? If the car doesnt move the radiator will not cool as much and the motor will get warm because no air will pass the radiator although the thermostat is open all the time. If you drive however the water temperrature will maybe not rise to the normal level (just before 1/2 mark is normal). That would explain the situation where the temp didnt rise at all while driving the bus home. However some people remove the stat anyway to get a cooler operating temperature of the motor or to rule out any issues the stat can cause. So if its only the stat thats stuck open there is not much of a problem as long as your motor runs good. In winter it can be bad though because the motor will not warm up and runs badly.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks, your english is probably way better than mine! Thats as good an explanation of whats happening as I have heard. Fits exactly whats happening. No temp needle rise on road run but needle rise when van stood still. For the moment then looks like it will be OK but obviously as winter approaches will need to look at swapping (or putting back!) the thermostat.
PS not really looked but which is the stat when looking under the passenger seat.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:08 am

Well Skylark is in the garage for a health check and the thermostat was.....missing! Now there is a surprise! Its now got one though, along with new oil, filters, plugs, antifreeze etc. Thanks for the diagnostics, hit it on the head.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Be sure they bleed the coolant system properly aka. pressure fill! drunken
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down