Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My van idling rough

3 posters

Go down

My van idling rough Empty My van idling rough

Post by retro Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Hope you can pick up on the vid that i start the van and it idles rough, when i give it some gas in wants to stall !!

retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

My van idling rough Empty Re: My van idling rough

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 pm

If you turn the lights, main beam, heaters fans and rear demist on does it stall?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 am

HighlyJetted wrote:If you turn the lights, main beam, heaters fans and rear demist on does it stall?

I have not noticed this when driving. Had heater, main beam , stereo , wipers all on at the same time but I will test this today just too check. took it to a mechanic who basically said there is a list of things . He didn't see it stall so he could not shed no light . He advised changing the coils. I did actually take coils and plugs off yesterday and put them back on and it stalled twice in the space of a couple of mins but started up ok after about 1 min which it has never done before !! and another mechanic I know said possibly compression !!!!

retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:If you turn the lights, main beam, heaters fans and rear demist on does it stall?

Turned on anything that could be turned on and no stall !!
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:08 am

Pretty much at the end of my tether now with this van ! After stalling twice within a couple of mins and restarting straight away I thought it was a good sign. Went to go to work the otherday and got just round the corner in a bus stop to let a car go over a speed bump and it stalled. It would not start again. I could still see my house. As a matter of fact I walked home faster than I drove round to the place I broke down !!! after 20 mins it started fine. I had left it ticking over before that happened !

Got to work a bit late, good day at work then left to go home. Got about a mile away on a junction and it went. Lucky I was rolling down hill so got it on curb out the way. 30 mins goes by where it wont start then it fires up, very lumpy ! drove it round the corner on a quiet country lane and kept changing p and down gears to see if it would stall then in second looses power but no stall. I rev it to see if I can keep it alive and it revs but no movement done his a few times and then it died but restated ! I then drove home avoiding routes with junctions , taking mini roundabouts in 3rd !!!!

Go out this morning and it drives like a new van !!!

I am thinking of replacing 1 coil pack to see if thee is a difference but like most hijet drivers I don't want to plough money into it with no results !!

Wish I kept the 1 litre r reg in pic that had 145k miles on the clock. never let me down !!!!
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:04 pm

It sounds like the symptoms you get from the module in the speedo but that doesn't usually happen below 40 mph in top.
It looses power and comes to a stop and engine ticks over but won't respond to the throttle. Sit there for a few minutes and module resets and off you go again. If the engine cut out it was a pig to start again.

I have sent three people in the past few months a Speedo head and it has sorted the problem each time.

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:36 pm

woody wrote:It sounds like the symptoms you get from the module in the speedo but that doesn't usually  happen below  40 mph in top.  
It looses power and comes to a stop and engine ticks over but won't respond to the throttle. Sit there for a few minutes and module resets and off you go again. If the engine cut out  it was a pig to start again.

I have sent three people in the past few months a Speedo head and it has sorted the problem each time.

This problem seems to only happen at under 20 mph !
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:23 pm

I don't think this is the speedo problem.

I suspect it will be a collection of issues, which all compound to make it run wank.

I have messed with a couple of vans, that have had a whole bag of slight issues here and there.

Broken vacuum pipes, mis fitted vacuum pipes, leaking inlet manifold gasket or injector seals.

Timing wrong, slight misfire, coil pack or lead. Timing belt on 1 tooth out.

Poor compression.

Dodgy fuel pump and regulator.

Buggered sensors.

Or many of the above!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:01 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:I don't think this is the speedo problem.

I suspect it will be a collection of issues, which all compound to make it run wank.

I have messed with a couple of vans, that have had a whole bag of slight issues here and there.

Broken vacuum pipes, mis fitted vacuum pipes, leaking inlet manifold gasket or injector seals.

Timing wrong, slight misfire, coil pack or lead. Timing belt on 1 tooth out.

Poor compression.

Dodgy fuel pump and regulator.

Buggered sensors.

Or many of the above!

I think your right ! i think there is at least a couple of things happening, Since messing with coil pack the problem has slightly changed which point to that. today it actually bump started ! stalled whilst turning down a hill and it bumped then again at a junction. would not start so i rolled it down a hill and it bumped although again very lumpy ! which points to starter ??? although it did not bump a week back in same situation !! I dont mind spending a bit of money on it but dont want to buy a sensor etc if not needed. its got full service up until 2011 when the belt was changed and maybe not put on right ??

retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:32 pm

From your replies, and I don't mean this in a mean way, it needs looking at by someone who knows what they are doing with it.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:44 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:From your replies, and I don't mean this in a mean way, it needs looking at by someone who knows what they are doing with it.

I totally agree with you !! what i get from mechanics is it will take a few days to diagnose and cost a bit !!!! I do appreciate your reply's tho ! just a shame you dont live close !!
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:03 pm

I do lots of work for other garages on a daily basis.

All I can say is I have zero faith in garages.

I'm glad I don't have to be dependant on them.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:13 am

retro wrote:

its got full service up until 2011 when the belt was changed and maybe not put on right ??

what milage did it have then and what does it have now?
if it hasnt run much since then its one of the things they did during servicing.

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:09 pm

scotia wrote:
retro wrote:

its got full service up until 2011 when the belt was changed and maybe not put on right ??

what milage did it have then and what does it have now?
if it hasnt run much since then its one of the things they did during servicing.

in 2012 it had 62148 miles , had air / oil filters plugs pads and belt done. It now has 74487 miles so doubt its any of that. in feb this year it had throttle body cleaned and throttle linkage greased
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Took it to a garage that a mate owns. He spent some time calling people and doing some checks etc etc ( all for free ) after calling a main Daihatsu parts dealer for some prices on coil packs and was asked the problem and was told it was more than likely the camshaft sensor !! I am going to replace this and see if it makes a difference
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:32 pm

After advice from members on here i did not change camshaft sensor ! 3 or 4 people have suggested the coil packs so i got some from woody ( great service ) and replaced both. I noticed it was driving alot smoother straight away. I had also tightened the throttle cable a bit to keep the revs up. i slacked that a touch after adding new coil packs and so far " touch wood " i have had no stalls. When i next fill up i will check the mpg to see if there is an improvement !!!!
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Good luck! Hope it does solve it.

I foresee it will might resolve some of your issues but not all of them.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:41 am

HighlyJetted wrote:Good luck! Hope it does solve it.

Cheers and cheers for all your advice. Yes this is just a part of the problem i am sure !!!! i think there might be small vacuum leak too. Probably ongoing project forever !!!!
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:52 pm

Clean the fuel lines and install a new fuel filter.

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:02 am

HighlyJetted wrote:Good luck! Hope it does solve it.

So......................................i am back !!!!! new coil packs , new sparks did help alot ( had no stalls when driving ) but last week it failed to start at a garage until i tightened the throttle cable. next day i checked the pipes visually for leaks / nothing !!

check oil and found mayo under cap. No over heating, coolant still good. took it to garage and he checked it ( i guess pressure ) said head was ok and its prob just condesation ( only drive 20 min drive and back everday )

he then got a friend to do some checks and came back with idle control valve. he then said you can only get it new with the whole thottle body !

few days later i was in traffic, low on fuel racing home. half way i could smell coolant pretty strong. temp was at top with no fan kicking in and heater blowing cold then a bit warm then cold etc etc ! got home and checked reserve which was bubbling and to the top !

Let it cool down then took the cap off next to reserve and no coolant in pipe ! topped up coolant ( only needed about 50ml ) took it for a drive, parked up let engine get hot which took about 5 mins and fan kicked in. heater working !!

could that have been idle valve ? and is this it ??

retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:04 am

retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:21 pm

I sent you a reply this morning retro. I have some in stock. It is known as the Throttle Position Sensor for the record.

Back to top Go down

Post by retro Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Woodie wrote:I sent you a reply this morning retro. I have some in stock. It is known as the Throttle Position Sensor for the record.

Cheers woody, just checked it :-) will get back to you asap
retro
retro
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down