Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oops, better get the tools out...

4 posters

Go down

Oops, better get the tools out... Empty Oops, better get the tools out...

Post by Eightpot Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:32 pm

So that Hijet I bought last week which was fine on a run but overheated after coming off the motorway?

Thought I'd pressure test the cooling system and give it the general once over.  Couple of leaks from a few hose clips which were soon changed, changed the clip from the hose connection on the back of the cylinder head then thought it'd be an idea to swap out the old thermostat.  Housing off and, oh look, empty space where the thermostat should be.

Looks like I'm going to be having the head off then...

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Oops, better get the tools out... Empty Re: Oops, better get the tools out...

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 pm

certainly not a good sign. Oh well at least if you give it all a once over you will know where you stand with it all. Are you able to do the work yourself?
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Yes, last head I changed was a V8 rover which funnily enough exhibited similar cooling issues as this van - problem with that engine ultimately turned out to be slipped liners. I presume that the Daihatsu block is a little more robust and the only "movement" is the head warping?

Anyway, head gasket set, timing belt, thermostat, pressure caps, jubilee clips and 5 litres of pink coolant either on order or already bought.

And the weather is nice.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:57 pm

Also check the rad cap under the passenger seat - the metal receiver/pipe gets pitted along with the whole top pipe.

And the final most important bit is filling them with coolant properly, they need bleeding from a few places, and the way to do it is to keep the system "pressurised" via some kind of header tank.

Bleed from:-

the little pipe that comes to the top of the radiator (this come from the top of the heater matrix)
the heater matrix return (where the T piece is) - use a hose clamp to bleed each direction.
the little pipe off the thermostat hosing - clamp the big hose so you get the thermostat purged.
the little hose on the back of the cylinder head on the hex fitting thing - this purged the idle control valve - and then the other way is the cylinder head (obviously!)

Sounds like you've just joined the "i've bought a hijet from a typical seller" club Smile

Welcome
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm

TBH when I went to look at any van, I'd always gone with the preconceived notion that the HG was goosed and would have to be sorted anyway.

I was buying the van more on its low mileage, decent cab interior and relative lack of iron oxide - it drives really nicely, no horrible noises from the geartrain and the existence of an LPG kit. Replacing the head gasket isn't too much of an issue since the rest of the van is in good enough mechanical condition.

I do wonder how the average Hijet seller would react if every potential purchaser rocked up with a leakdown tester and compressor before handing over the readies?

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Nah, you've just bought a typical Hijet.....
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Well, answers that question then. No.4, exhaust side:
Oops, better get the tools out... 1924346_10152569871294362_6850928596289228605_n

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down