Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dodgy fuel gauge

3 posters

Go down

dodgy fuel gauge Empty dodgy fuel gauge

Post by rich1 Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:04 am

hi everyone me little vans fuel gauge is not telling me the full story. it seems that if I fill the tank up it will read a full tank but when it it gets to a quarter off a tank it stays there until it runs out and the fuel light does not come on. do you think check the wiring or replace the sender or thrash it with a stick. Smile can the wiring and sender be checked as it is or do I need to drop the tank. thanks

rich1

Back to top Go down

dodgy fuel gauge Empty Re: dodgy fuel gauge

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:32 am

I would say you have a kinked float tube.

Which will most likely cause by the bottom of the tank bent inwards a little bit.

Take the tank off, remove float tube, check for slight kink.

If it is, take the pump out as well, put the tank onto some blocks of wood then bash the bottom out through the pump/float holes using a length of 3x2 timber and a big hammer.

Then warm up the float tube with a fan heater , hair dryer etc to soften the plastic and massage out the creased section.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1 Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:03 am

I have looked at the tank and it looks like a small dent where the drain bolt is because the bolt is at a slight angle so I,ll have to set a day aside to investagate thank,s for the advice

rich1

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:24 pm

The bottom falls off the tube, causing the float to stick. Def the problem if it takes a while to get to full after you have filled it.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1 Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:52 pm

it seems to go to full straight away. if the float does not reach the bottom off the sensor will that stop the fuel light working

rich1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down