Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake compensator valve required asap!!

4 posters

Go down

Brake compensator valve required asap!! Empty Brake compensator valve required asap!!

Post by Darklord Mon May 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Hello Chaps.
Me trusty HiJet 'Sooty' has failed his MOT on the rear brake compensator valve (No brakes on the rear at all).  Sad 
I've rang me usual motor factors, but he tells me that this is a main agent job?
I've also tried the 'google merry go round'. But no luck...
Can anybody help? A good second hand one would do.
Darklord
Darklord
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Brake compensator valve required asap!! Empty Re: Brake compensator valve required asap!!

Post by xxemaphorr Mon May 12, 2014 3:34 pm

have you sourced one of these yet? I do have a spare that I bought to replace mine but I ended up resealing my old one with Viton seals (beauty of working tin the hydraulics industry!) I can see if I can dig it out if you need still
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Brake compensator valve required asap!! Empty Re: Brake compensator valve required asap!!

Post by Darklord Mon May 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Yes please if you have one.
Darklord
Darklord
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Mon May 12, 2014 4:23 pm

ok i'll double check tonight and update
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Mon May 12, 2014 10:31 pm

xxemaphorr wrote:have you sourced one of these yet? I do have a spare that I bought to replace mine but I ended up resealing my old one with Viton seals (beauty of working tin the hydraulics industry!) I can see if I can dig it out if you need still

Hmmm if you can get them at a good price it maybe worth offering up a rebuild set of seals.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Seal kits would be handy..... what we most need is a seal kit for master cylinders as there is no replacement and I get asked for new master cylinders weekly.

Genuinely! If you know about seals and know where and what to order I would love to strip a buggered master cylinder and send it to you.

I don't really know what I'm asking for seal wise.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Tue May 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Darklord - I'll check tonight I promise I forgot I had the gas board round last night and it clear slipped my mind.

HJ - I'd be happy to do that for sure. Anything I can do to help the hijet community! You'd have to be the test pilot though before you start ordering 20 seal kits! Can't take risks with things like that obviously!
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue May 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Darklord,

Just so you know, if your LSPV isn't leaking, then normally they do not need replacing.

Ensure the pin under the rubber pushes out a little when someone presses on the brake pedal.

If it does, then you are laughing Wink

As it mean that its a typical one where the bracket that bolts to the chassis is bent and needs bending back down AND/OR the lever is stiff so lube it up and get it working AND/OR the most common combined item is the spring is weak, so pack the bottom of the rod up with some thing clever like a bit of tube slipped over the rod.

If you take the arm and spring bar off the van, you can take the rod assembly apart with heat. It is a threaded rod end on a piece of bar stock.

I have dealt with a good couple of handfuls of LSPV problem vans, and non have needed the LSPV replacing. Other people have had leaking ones though.

Best to not remove the LSPV as those steel brake lines won't live to tell the tale Smile
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklord Wed May 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Cheers HJ & xxemaphorr.
I'll get under it and see if it's leaking or not...

Darklord
Darklord
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklord Tue May 20, 2014 12:21 am

Well HJ. You were right (As usual)

The rod wasn't even touching the lever arm! On Inspection of the unit some dopey scouser had decided to use a piece of dexion?  No  in an attempt to reach the brake compensator valve, on which the bracket had bent upwards. (wasn't even inline with it!)
I bent the bracket back to it's proper position being careful not to upset the rusty steel brake pipes.
I then borrowed the neighbours leg to push down on the brake pedal whilst my thumb was over the piston, and It moved in and out no problem.
So I re-attached the rod back to the bracket on the axle with the bolt up the way up to the top of the elongated hole, with the spring pushing against the arm.
Took it for a re-test, and it passed!  cheers 

Big thanks to yourself and xxemaphor for helping me out.  Smile
Darklord
Darklord
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue May 20, 2014 1:22 am

Top job eh!

Cost you nothing but crawling around on your back getting rust in your face.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue May 20, 2014 7:50 am

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Darklord Tue May 20, 2014 11:36 pm

I'm used to having rust in my face from owning one or two Mini's in the past.. Lol
I always wear my safety glasses under cars, as with doing work on my drive is a windy affair. It's either rust, soil, or a Chicken McNuggets box trying to blind you.

I'll leave that Bias valve on the bay for now, just in case one of 'our lot' has his eye on it.
I was lucky that my valve is still working.
Darklord
Darklord
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down