Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain

+2
FrontBackSide2Side
Sootyvan
6 posters

Go down

Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain Empty Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain

Post by Sootyvan Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Thank you for your welcome and positive direction with my 'minor issues'. In particular, the point about the corrosion at the fuel sender for the fuel light, an invaluable tip, thanks. Then the Battery drain, I had found the drain to be the starter as both small wires were disconected, so further investigation required, but today a new issue had shown. The battery was flat (which happens for any vehicle not used daily) I connected my boost pack, and the radiator cooling fan kicked in! To my mind it can only be one of two things, a dodgy sender unit that is shorting regardless of temperature, or..... A short somewhere. I think that identifiable faults where something positively wrong occurs will be easy to find by just unplugging the wire off the sender with the conclusion being if the fan stop, its the sender, if it continues, its a short.
Any experience of a similar issue, anyone?
Thanks,
Sootyvan

Sootyvan

Back to top Go down

Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain Empty Re: Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain

Post by Guest Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Not sure if I am right that there is a relay but it sounds to me as though the fan relay has stuck on. The contacts can burn and fuse together in a relay
It use to happen to my spotlight relay when I had four 150w spots on the one relay. Bit over the top. But I never do anything by halves. Except picture posting.!!! Grrrrrrr.

Back to top Go down

Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain Empty Re: Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain

Post by Sootyvan Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks Woody. Its definitely a weekend job, and as its friday already, I guess I should start to look. Where is the fan relay, a bit of shared knowledge will save me following wires and potentially a lot of time.

Sootyvan

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 am

I don't know where the relay is located but have you had a look in the "Manuals" section of the forum? If you find the right manual it may be in there Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:24 am

Relay is beneath the passenger seat, near the front of the hole.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ldv.tek Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:37 pm

My relay is under the passenger seat as well.

ldv.tek
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Don't know what you've got but there is no relay on a 993cc.

Check the fan switch in the metal coolant hose for signs of tamper/bodging.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sootyvan Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 pm

The offending item, a Denso relay, part number Denso 956700-9160, listed as a HD relay. A quick trip to Halfords, bought another spurious 30a relay for £5, made some male/female tails, and mounted it where the original was once fitted. Its not a generally wet area so little need to go overboard with shrouding it beyond the regular.
Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain 2014-010
The results were fine, all working again,kicking in and out a treat. I guess the fan is permanently wired, through the relay contacts and the coil being the part controlled via the ignition, hence if the relay fails, the fan runs until the battery is flat!
Cooling Fan continually running and Battery Drain 2014-012

Sootyvan

Back to top Go down

Post by melboy Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:26 pm

mys a 993 and i aint got no relay Shocked 
melboy
melboy
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Well that's a good job done then. Saves carrying a 12v Jump Battery round with you in your ruck sack then. affraid Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Don't want you to feel left out Mel. I will send you two -- then you can hold a Relay Race. Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by melboy Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:42 pm

woody is there fan relay on ur se or am i going fuckin mad. What a Face 
melboy
melboy
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Well I can't rember having seen one on a 993 before Mel. I've got 4 993's here and none of them including the SE has a fan relay on them.

The cooling fan on the 993 is quite small but the 1300 fan is pretty meaty . With the lights on and heater etc -- if the Rad fan cuts in the engine revs on tickover drop considerably with the load that the fan start-up puts on the Alternator.
So no you are not going mad -- well I'm assuming so anyway !!  Evil or Very Mad 

Back to top Go down

Post by melboy Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 pm

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce 
melboy
melboy
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sootyvan Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:20 am

I wonder now if I have an over excitable temp sensor, the van doesn't get hot according to the temp gauge, it just sits about centre in what we must call the normal state, then if at lights etc in traffic, she kicks in for about a minute. I only hear it at traffic lights as when travelling the general noise is simply to much to even hear the radio.
Does this sound about right? Working but sensitive?

Sootyvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:56 am

Working is usually as good as it gets Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down