Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

slow wobble sorted now, just fuel use

4 posters

Go down

slow wobble sorted now, just fuel use Empty slow wobble sorted now, just fuel use

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:24 pm

been noticing last week or so that when i am slowing down to a red traffic light that the van has a slight wobble on.
Today i drove on Base where speed limits 10-20mpg.. & i felt it again, it feels like a wheel is out?
i havnt checked tyre pressures for a while, before xmas i had to change a flat rear tyre for the spare.. but havnt had a chance to get the tyre plugged & put back on.
should i take the van in to have the wheels checked/aligned? i do not get a high speed wobble which i know is balancing.

+ i have also noticed my fuel consumption go up.... i can get 3 days of 50 miles a day for work + a little farting about before the fuel light comes on. last month or so i have noticed end of day 3 the light pops on!...
its clocked over 10,000 since last april & i havnt had a chance to service it eg plugs/air filter/oil.
I do have some Forte left from the when the bike was mucking me about, but the bike has Carbs, the van is Injected. can i use the same Forte on the van?

Last edited by leopard_pagan on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

slow wobble sorted now, just fuel use Empty Re: slow wobble sorted now, just fuel use

Post by PFM Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Do you get wobble when brakes applied or not? If yes, probably brake issue. You have checked your wheel nuts....

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

slow wobble sorted now, just fuel use Empty Re: slow wobble sorted now, just fuel use

Post by Logi Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:22 pm

... tyres, wheelbearings ......
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:10 pm

dont like the sound of that last one.....
since owning the van.... i have only undone/done up one wheel after the puncture.. & yeah, i tightened em... tough to explain how tight.. enough but not to shear off nowt!

no wobble with braking... i feel it at a steady slooooooow speed. i cant hear anything odd when it happens..

any ideas on the fuel side o things?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 pm

Maybe daft suggestion:-

Have you put some air in the spare tyre? Most times they are not properly inflated as they have been under there for a long time.

Sometimes they get a bit distorted by the retaining frame too.

If the tyre is flat you'd be amazed how they hurt your fuel economy.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:05 am

Another crazy idea....
Check the tyres/ pressures / nuts/ bearings, give it a service, maybe the probs will disappear..... Razz
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:52 pm

the wobble is sorted.
the rear passenger side tyre was ermm.. out of shape! the tyre shop guy said the centre banding had broke. swap the tyre i took in for a plug on to that wobbly one.. i did tyre pressures & feels smoooth again. Smile

soooo fuel/injection cleaner stuff....... i have a black bottle of stuff called Forte which i used on the bike last year, i still have some left... the bike has carburettors, can i use the same on the vans injection/EFI?
**update** yes i can use it as its for petrol engines with spark plugs. but i need to get a whole bottle.
plugs n air filter to come end of the month.... any opinions on plugs for better performance/fuel? or just bog standard NGKs?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 pm

I have never seen a petrol engine without a spark plug?!!!

Glad you got your wobbler sorter!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 am

lol thats what i thought when i read the specs on the bottle.
i guess it means dont use it in a diesel that has glow plugs.
mates o mine getting me a bottle $4 yes thats USA money compared to £16-18 & does the same thing.

Any reviews on which spark plugs would beneficial for good fuel consumption?
eg Denso/iridium etc?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:59 am

Tend to use NGK or Denso plugs, just normal ones. Can't see the whole iridium plug market making any difference. Not a fan of all these bosch super 4's and splitfite plugs - think they are prone to causing detonation/knock issues.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:38 pm

okidoke.. Good ol NGKs it is.
was surprised to (not) find that there are no prober "service kits" on flea bay!
air & oil filters are classed as service kits!

ummm... where are the plugs & oil?
Putting together a service kit for when i get paid end of the month
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Euro have plugs, oil & air filter for under £20 just now.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Euro car parts?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:00 pm

leopard_pagan wrote:Euro car parts?

Yep, usually a banner ad here to click on.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:11 pm

lol..
RedEx now in the tank, only take me 3 days to get through that.
i already have a new oil filter that i bought for the bumblebee van & never used.
So just after air filter, plugs n oil. Oil i'll probably get from Wilkos as i have never been one for buying big brand name oils.. so long as its oil & the right weight...
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down