Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hijet battery - help needed please

+3
elfin girl
Logi
tara100
7 posters

Go down

Hijet battery - help needed please Empty Hijet battery - help needed please

Post by tara100 Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:52 pm

My van hasn't been used since September 13, and though I can get it going (and have left it running for half an hour) the battery isn't holding any charge. (I have only driven it once recently for less than 1/4 mile or so as my insurance is out)

I reckon I'll just have to go and buy a new battery and get someone to fit it.

My question is, what type of battery should I look for, for the Hijet please?

Thanks
tara100
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Hijet battery - help needed please Empty Re: Hijet battery - help needed please

Post by Logi Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:28 pm

You can fit lots of different battery sizes in a Hijet.

I don't know battery numbers off the top of my head.

But quite simply if it will physically fit in the battery box then you are OK.

I will have a look at mine, as I have put a pretty big one on mine. It was like half the price of one of those silly little compact batteries.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks.

My battery is only 14 months old, so I'm a bit gutted.

Regarding that posters thread, this is the bit that I'm sure I need to understand:

"to my astonishment it had completly the wrong battery in it, the hijet should have a 156 battery in and min has a 039
the 156 has 350cca at 45ah the 039 is 220cca at 34ah big difference (no wonder she been struggling to start)
anyway got on phone to price up battery and even with my trade discount they are £63 plus dredded,
I decided i am a stingy so and so and not gonna pay that, so I got my tape mesure came out, it turns out that the battery box is actually fairly big and in fact big enough for a normal battery so back on phone for price of an 063 £34 and it is rated at 420cca 44ah"

I'm going to phoning around for quotes on Monday, and I haven't got a clue what to ask for, unless I just ask for a '156 battery' and they'll know what I mean???

Tara
tara100
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:34 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:You can fit lots of different battery sizes in a Hijet.

I don't know battery numbers off the top of my head.

But quite simply if it will physically fit in the battery box then you are OK.

I will have a look at mine, as I have put a pretty big one on mine. It was like half the price of one of those silly little compact batteries.

Thank you!
Kwik Fit show batteries by vehicle reg and model. This is what they come up with, and it states the battery size :-)

Kwik Fit Hijet battery = £59.60 = Platinum Prestige 854 12V Battery
3 Year Guarantee
OE Equivalent - Original Quality Spare Part
High quality Calcium/Calcium construction
Maintenance Free Technology
Technical

Product Ref: 854
12 Volt Battery
CCA: 360
AH: 40
Case Dimensions: 187mm(L) x 127mm (W) x 202mm (H)
Height Including Node Terminals: 225mm
tara100
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:37 pm

The point is the "proper" Hijet battery is dearer than a better 063. So, yes ask for an 063, they'll know what it is. Or try Euro. http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Daihatsu_Hijet_1.3_2001/p/accessories-car-batteries/car-batteries/most-popular-car-battery/063-car-batteries/?444770631&0&cc5_993

(or enter the reg and get the dearer, "proper" battery?)

BUT, how flat was the battery? Really flat and it will need charged by a charger, not the alternator. May recover by trickle charging overnight.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-CAMPER-CAR-Maypole-Smart-3-8A-Battery-Charger-Electronic-Trickle-charger-/221224312089?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3381ff1d19
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Yeah, I vote for trying to charge it first if its only 18 months old.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:47 pm

Logi wrote:The point is the "proper" Hijet battery is dearer than a better 063. So, yes ask for an 063, they'll know what it is. Or try Euro. http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Daihatsu_Hijet_1.3_2001/p/accessories-car-batteries/car-batteries/most-popular-car-battery/063-car-batteries/?444770631&0&cc5_993

(or enter the reg and get the dearer, "proper" battery?)

BUT, how flat was the battery? Really flat and it will need charged by a charger, not the alternator. May recover by trickle charging overnight.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-CAMPER-CAR-Maypole-Smart-3-8A-Battery-Charger-Electronic-Trickle-charger-/221224312089?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3381ff1d19

I've just found a 'proper' battery from: http://www.carbatteries-online.co.uk/carbattery054h.html for £45 delivered, and you're right, I could buy a charger for £22, but if the battery is boogered, then I've still got to buy a battery so the costs go even higher :-(

I see that Kwik Kit do a free battery check - do you reckon its worth taking the battery there for them to test the cells?

Thanks again
tara100
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:53 pm

having a spare battery is always handy and a battery charger is pretty essential (in my experience!) if you own a vehicle
the fluid levels may need checking too, if any of the cells are low then it wont charge properly or hold a charge. if your not confident checking yourself and kwik fit check them properly then probably worth it (or ask a friendly neighbour?!)
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by tara100 Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:19 am

daisydon wrote:having a spare battery is always handy and a battery charger is pretty essential (in my experience!) if you own a vehicle
the fluid levels may need checking too, if any of the cells are low then it wont charge properly or hold a charge. if your not confident checking yourself and kwik fit check them properly then probably worth it (or ask a friendly neighbour?!)

I'll see if I can get the battery off and start with a free check and take things from there.
tara100
tara100
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 am

If you take a flat battery to quickfit for a "check" they will pretty much tell you its fooked everytime.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by StvC Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:51 pm

My Van has been stood that long too and it started ok if anything the starter motor seemed a bit 'sticky' which may be pulling more power or draining battery quicker. Not that I know if this is possible or not but that was my thinking.

StvC
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Mini-deli Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Mine came with a silly little battery and it recently went flat as a pancake. I charged it over 3 days and the electrolyte still only got to the 'orange' level.

I will get another battery soon, but what I have done with both of my cars is fit a solar battery trickle charger.
They are only the 1.5W types, but they work! Just to keep a little PD going to stop the battery decaying.

At the moment Maplin are flogging loads of them off for £10 each!

I have had one on my Delica for about 2 years now and it works well. The only thing I did a bit extra, is to wire it directly to the battery with terminals and fit a push on/off switch on my dash. I used speaker wire as cabling to wire it into the engine bay.

I was wondering which battery to get, so a handy post indeed... Smile

Mini-deli
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:55 pm

tara100 wrote:......

I've just found a 'proper' battery from: http://www.carbatteries-online.co.uk/carbattery054h.html for £45 delivered, and you're right, I could buy a charger for £22, but if the battery is boogered, then I've still got to buy a battery so the costs go even higher :-( ...................

I would suggest that the battery shown is underpowered; Daihatsu state a 48Ah or a 40 Ah battery and the CCA figure seems to be about 300A DIN or EN. That ad shows 300A SAE -- the SAE numbers are usually much larger for the same capability.

As regards the battery charger I noticed that LIDL had a very nice microprocessor controlled charger for £13.99 on Saturday. They certainly do the job so if you have a branch nearby they may be worth a try.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down