Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet

4 posters

Go down

Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet Empty Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet

Post by stagleton Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 am

Hi,

I was googling around to find information about doing the Mongal Rally in a hijet. I found this forum and searched but could not find any topics within this forum, but it seems like something people here must have talked about. Does anyone have any advice or links to share? Any thoughts are appreciated as well (Are we stupid? let me know).

Br,
Stagleton
stagleton
stagleton

Back to top Go down

Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet Empty Re: Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:36 pm

We had one member a while back who joined to say he was doing it in a hijet.

All I'd say is buy the best hijet you can find, low milage, 1 or 2 owners.

Then make sure you take about 3 spare wheels as the roads get pretty rough once you get out of Europe.

I'd be tempted to upgrade the seats as your going to be sitting in that little van for a quite some time!!

Also I would fully overhaul the coolant system if you want to get there with no problems.

Plus the normal changing fluids, take a spare air filter as it's going to get very dusty.

I've wanted to do it now for about 8 years, but it is quite some commitment.

I know I could get there in a Hijet.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet Empty Re: Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet

Post by d1noh Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:15 pm

my advice if you want to finish it in a small van would be a suzuki carry Smile 
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stagleton Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am

@HighlyJetted Thanks for the advice! That sounds pretty good. Regarding the cooling system, I hijets seem to have a history of overheating; is there a way to get a bigger radiator or some kind of upgrade? I'm a bit worried about how the hijet will do if we go up any steep mountains and there are 3 or 4 of us plus equipment inside. I guess we will have to get out and walk if needed.

Also, where do you suggest to buy a hijet from in the UK? I'm living in Norway and my friends are US based. We're planning on heading over to get a van and then find a place to put it before the rally starts.

@d1nok that looks pretty cool; a hijet would be really sweet tho!
stagleton
stagleton

Back to top Go down

Post by 20Buzz46 Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi. Glad to see someone else with a sense of adventure (or equally as stupid.)
I am doing the Rome or bust banger rally from St Austell to Rome (19th-23rd Sept) which involved buying a vehicle for up to £350.
I found a 1996 6 seater 993 Hi-Jet with tax and Mot. The owner said it sometimes got hot??????
My £350 has now had the head pressure tested and skimmed, new water pump, thermostat,radiator (you could put your hand through the old one), radiator cap, plugs, filters,oil. It's all adding up.
Still have a problem that it starts and runs like a dream when cold but when it warms up starts to miss fire. It's now with a highly acclaimed engine tuner alongside Ac Cobras and Imprezzas and it appears to be the MAP sensor but I'm having trouble finding one. Any help would be appreciated. Will post some pictures when it's ready to rally.
Buzz

20Buzz46
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 pm

I have lots of map sensors availble but they are all from the 1.3 model.
BUT they may be the same sensor, so if you can read the numbers of the top of the sensor then I can compare it to what I have. Also I have lots of map sensors from other vehicles in a roses can as I find them useful for this sort of issue.

Please feel free to call me tomorrow or send me an email, my contact details can be found here:-

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/used-hijet-spares-and-parts-from-breakers/
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 pm

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:06 am

Did you find one then Buzz?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:12 am

Buzz,

Just also though check the hose to the map sensor is ok, often they fall apart or have cracks.

Looks like its just under the handbrake lever on a 993cc hijet

Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet Hijetm10

Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet Hijetm11
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:13 am

4 post in a row.... looks like I need to get out more,

Ok ok, now 5 Embarassed 
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:34 am

Yes, don't burn out HJ --- all work and no play !!!

Nevertheless you do us all proud mate. Thanks.cheers cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by 20Buzz46 Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks so much for all of the help from both of you (Woody and Matt). The forum has been a fantastic source of information, much more use than any dealer.
Woody has hopefully found me a MAP sensor which will be a life saver cos the dealer wanted £260 for a new one. ( don't tell Woody).
Hopefully the bus will be going in for a respray next week and then I can start adding the fun bits like the sirens and flashy lights.
P.s. when do you two sleep? I see your posts were sent at 1am and 6am.
Thanks again
Buzz

20Buzz46
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Sleep?! That has been a rare commodity these last few weeks.

But this bank holiday weekend will involve some serious sleep catchup.

Don't you just love Daihatsu main dealers!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:06 pm

It gets worse than that Buzz. When I looked at the posts first thing this morning Matt had

posted at 3am plus this morning. Now that is worse than me !!

Only too glad to help out Buzz as you are raising money for Charity. I hope your plans all

come to fruition. Next time I come down to Plymouth in my Romahome we can have that pie

and a pint in Landrake at the Notter Bridge if my memory serves me correctly. Really good

grub there and a good pub up in the village too.drunken cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi Buzz. Your MAP sensor is in the post from Shanklin PO. Only just made it as they were

closing but was told " too late-- wont go till tomorrow now". Sorry about that.

Apologies too for it being soaking wet too --- with tears at the thought of giving away £260

worth of postage stamp size electrics. Utterly ludicrous the prices Daihatsu want for ALL their

parts.

Glad to help you out Buzz.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Daihatsu will buy their map sensor from Denso, for like $15 each, then some how the customer pays a couple of hundred quid. Unreal really.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:48 pm

We are in the wrong game then HJ. But I am not complaining --I love what I am doing -- buying
and selling and puling apart and selling spares. Keeps me out of mischief anyway ---SADLY !!

Back to top Go down

Post by 20Buzz46 Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Will be sat by the letter box tomorrow waiting for the arrival of the MAP sensor. Thanks Woody.

20Buzz46
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Oh good!! That means it will get a soft landing then Buzz.Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by 20Buzz46 Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Bugger, Bugger,Bugger.
Thanks Woody for the MAP sensor, rushed it to the garage, fitted it, tested it (worked perfectly unlike the other one) started it (all good), warmed it up, lumpy, misfiring and cut out. Bugger. Now what?
Garage gonna run more tests tomorrow.

20Buzz46
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Yo, don't panic!

First do this:-

HighlyJetted wrote:Also I recommend you read this page!

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/hijet-diagnostic-engine-warning-light-flash-codes/
A common fault is the pipe that goes to the map sensor gets cracks in it.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by 20Buzz46 Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Cheers HJ. Woody sent a spare hose as well (top man) will check that tomorrow and will give the guys at the garage the codes.
Starting to get a bit nervous about time scale. Was hoping to get resprayed tomorrow but will have to put it back until running smoothly.

20Buzz46
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by 20Buzz46 Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Hoorah, hoorah, hoorah. Problem solved. Turned out (probably cos the MAP sensor didn't work) someone fiddled with dizzy settings and fuelling to try to get it to run better. Now with Woody's new sensor and putting settings where they should be, the Hi-Jet (now named " Burning Rubber" for the Rome trip) runs smoothly at all temperatures. Need a good road test and some brakes would be good. MOT and respray next week???
Thanks for the invaluable help from HJ and Woody.cheers cheers 

Last edited by 20Buzz46 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Punctuation needed to make sense.)

20Buzz46
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Get in there!!! Good work

Need to some pictures of this one off paint job Smile 
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by 20Buzz46 Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Before and an artists impression of after.
Sorry but i haven't got the hang of downsizing pictures.
I think i will start a new post re: preparing for the Rome or Bust rally.
Advice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet 3d9c9cb8-253f-4d18-825e-15d72dce11f7_zps971b33ab[/urlAdvice for doing the Mongal Rally in a Hijet Hijet2copy_zpse77e0e10

20Buzz46
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Same colour scheme as the one I bought and sold a month ago. I think it looks really nice.

Thats certainly a tidy van you have bought there Buzz. Certainly going to look a little different  

when you have it finished. All the best with your plans and glad that you have sussed the 

rough running problem today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down