Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is Everybody.? The site is DEAD.

+5
biketuna
singledad
Logi
PFM
leopard_pagan
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Where is Everybody.? The site is DEAD. - Page 2 Empty Re: Where is Everybody.? The site is DEAD.

Post by oldie Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:37 am

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Where is Everybody.? The site is DEAD. - Page 2 Empty Re: Where is Everybody.? The site is DEAD.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 am

Yep enjoyed that Oldie. Thank you. Would love to have gone to Carfest today -- final day.

Oh well perhaps next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:57 am

Ref the I wanters , from Woody , again its a carbon copy of one of the problems on the SBMCC forum , only they differ in as much as they allow visitors to certain sections of the site and restrict them to free 10 posts , after that they are required to pay an annual subscription fee of £15.00 ,which give them full access and  is more than saved by the discounts offered from sponsored suppliers ,  The visitors on that site were more interested in the ( How to sect ) , and it became quite annoying to me that they were given the answers and then never seen again , but thats life Laughing .

The subject of cost for spares is also interesting and is very much a case of shop around before you commit to a salvage company , although even at their prices the comparable costs for some newer van parts is way above the price of the Hijets . I had to buy a alternator a few years back for an Peugeot 806 van , and back then it was £900 and that was about 10 years ago .

Anyway as long as there are good people such as H.J and Woody around we will all be laughing our way to the bank Very Happy ,
eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

http://www.emhall-handyman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:50 am

£900 ?? Did you mean £90 ? I would hope so.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:31 pm

No Woody , £900 , yes I know . Sad  and they did not even blush when they told me the price . Needless to say a trip to a local sparkie and it was sorted for £25 . But the dealer had said it could not be repaired . SHARKS . Evil or Very Mad 

I also used to do recovery for the RAC AA etc and I was called to a Range Rover whos owner had put about £5.00 worth of petrol in the diesel tank .. I suggested he filled the tank up and run it off but it was a brand new special edition Anniversary ( £60,000 worth ) , so he took it to the local dealers . They told him it would cost £2500 to put right or he would lose the warranty . and if he had started it they would be talking £6000 to replace the whole system .

Drifted off the subject slightly but there we go Smile Smile Smile 

Cheers

Eddie
eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 pm

What the heck would the Dealer know or his store-man about repairing parts. 

The grease monkeys wouldn't know either I venture to say. They aren't in most cases, 

Mechanics are they ? They are just Fitters of new bolt on parts.  Obviously there are exceptions 

like the Exceptional one up in Crewe.Cool Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Your right mate, I have had a lot of dealings with main dealers and they do not give any better service than the average garage and charge 3 x as much . As you say they put the vehicle on diagnostics , one off one on , thank you very much that will be £500 please . I dont like going to the garages unless I can help it , but I would always choose the one that is in a back street and relies on reputation for work .

Cheers

Eddie
eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:51 pm

eddie0303 wrote:.... . I had to buy a alternator a few years back for an Peugeot 806 van , and back then it was £900 and that was about 10 years ago .......
eddie0303 wrote:.....But the dealer had said it could not be repaired .....
An acquaintance was quoted £700 for a Porter alternator a couple of years ago with the usual rubbish about can't be repaired (strange that you can buy service kits which are referred to in the manuals). This was from a trusted garage who also got him to buy a new battery.

Turned out to be the fan belt, roughly a fiver's worth which he could have fitted himself.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Funnily i've applied for a few dealership jobs, and they wouldn't even give me an interview because I lack in experience and qualifications scratch

Its odd now that I get cars they can't fix brought to me from one place, that wouldn't employ me! Laughing 
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Sadly Matt you are a dying breed , " A mechanic that can diagnose without a computer ", I think the same applies to a lot of trades now , too much reliance on certificates and not enough on skills .

Cheers

Eddie
eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:11 pm

wotz appened to Sandra. Didnt she like your van ?

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:21 pm

I use my computer and diagnostic scanner alot actually Razz 

Along with a 1970's oscilloscope, a cheap multimeter and pretty good knowledge of electronic control systems.

Thing is nowadays, people think the scanner actually gives them the answer, but its more of a clue as how the ECU see's things.

Just because a fault code says "faulty dingledongle", doesn't mean that is actually is, it could be wiring or a knock on effect. It gives you somewhere to start looking and testing.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Still come s down to going that extra mile H.J and having the experience of knowing what to look for , most of the dealers just accept that a part is not working and change it instead of trying a repair . Keep up the good work mate , its a credit to you .

Hi Woody , seems Sandra was called away at short notice , and I was also getting too many requests for my phone number lol Mistaken identity lol

Well the site seems to be busy so lets hope it stays that way .

Best to all

Eddie

eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2