Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smurf lied to me!

+2
waz
PFM
6 posters

Go down

Smurf lied to me! Empty Smurf lied to me!

Post by PFM Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Driving today, my new 1.3 54k mile smurf hiccuped, resumed, burped, resumed for .5 mile, hiccuped and died. Managed to coast into a side-turning. Can't be fuel, gauge reads 1/2. Looked under seats, nothing loose. Found a branch and gave it a sound thrashing. Nothing. Tried to remember HJ's wise words and failed.

Lets it cool, tries to start, turns over as normal but nada. Sudden though - gauge read 1/2 full last week....I wonder.....

Fortunately, was across the road from a well-known supermarket (every little helps) so bought a new can and walked to their petrol station to fill it. Put 5.17l in and off she went! Drove to petrol station and put in another 27.76l - and has been a good girl since.

Once filled gauge still read 1/2 full - only a few miles later did it go up to max. Do I really have to drop the tank to sort it?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Smurf lied to me! Empty Re: Smurf lied to me!

Post by waz Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I found that I was getting 200 miles before filling up so if you say 180 to be on the safe side no need to touch the tank.
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Yeah, was reckoning on doing similar but it's not only me driving it. I do keep tabs of mileage at every re-fill but yes, 200 miles is a rough guide to need filling up.

So I got 32.93l in the tank - is that a record?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:22 pm

You know it makes sense !!! Keep a flipping FULL can of petrol ( or in your case A CAN ) with you at all times. I always do despite having Dual Fuel option-- and oh boy haven't I been grateful for that at times.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:47 am

Fuel float tube issues I bet.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:06 am

200 miles on a tank-full would be wonderful for me on the Island.180 miles is about the most I get on these diabolical roads.

Lead right foot round lovely winding lanes and 13 miles each way flatout down The Military Road to Freshwater and back to Niton doesn't do much for economy really---- but hell its fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:20 am

Mines exactly the same. The guage kinda works, it goes up eventually, drops vaguely. I just keep.an eye on the mileage.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:50 am

When I first got my Blue MPV and set off at 5am to get the Ferry it started dieing going up a hill and the gauge was showing between quarter and half a tank so I started to pa nick with the thought of a 200+ journey ahead of me. Flicked over to LPG and it ran fine so having prepaid for the ferry decided to carry on.

For months after buying it the gauge played up plus it doesn't like it when you switch between the two fuels but it did eventually settle down and now the gauge moves right to the end of the scale accurately.. Hooray!!

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 am

I wish I could fit a trip meter to the van & reset every fuel up coz sorry I know every I e says its easy to track the odometer, but I can't my math is that crap!!! 
So anyone know of a trip I can fit? Coz sounds like dodgy fuel gauge is common
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 pm

You could look into the 'cycle computers'. They are GPS, I think, and should be relatively easy to fit.

They have several functions and a resettable trip, or main recorder, may be one of them. The only problem is that GPS is not absolutely reliable for distance recording but will be good enough.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Just checked the Argos website. Although they would probably work they are rather expensive so not a good idea.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:12 pm

just googled them.. cheaper option than the last time i tried to look in to this.
once i had worked out "wireless" was not GPS.....
even if i did get a wired version.. at least i'd have a working trip!
could wire the pick up on the brake calliper ....

food for thought.. coz i am getting peeved at the lack of a gauge but am happy to do the good ol set trip to 0000 on fuel up like i do on my motorcycle.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down