Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got a Smurf!

3 posters

Go down

Got a Smurf! Empty Got a Smurf!

Post by PFM Fri May 17, 2013 8:00 am

Saw an 02 van on ebay about 20 miles away a couple of weeks ago but got outbid. Winner then decided he didn't want it so I was able to pick it up yesterday. Only 53,000 miles, a few bumps and scuffs but runs like a dream (and had half a tank of petrol!). I've never had a 1.3 before so will be reading up on all the tips etc. Temp gauge sits very steady at about 75/80% (a bit worrying to start with) though it wasn't overheating even in stationary traffic. I know the gauges on my 998's sit in different positions, but is this normal on the 1.3?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Got a Smurf! Empty Re: Got a Smurf!

Post by Manuel_nl Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 am

I've got my 1.3 (2003) since november 2012 and I'm verry happy with it. Less noise and a smooth way of driving.
A bad expericence with the 993cc keeps me sharp on the temp gauge. Mine is at about 70% and stable. Sometimes depending on the circumstances like outside temp or traffic it climbs up but ... the fan swithes on and the gauge goes down as mented.
Manuel_nl
Manuel_nl
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2013 9:14 am

You will love it PFM. 1300 is so much quicker and driven sensibly ( which I NEVER do ) you may find it is as good as or a bit better on juice.
Generally I find that the gauge runs just over half-way to 60%.

If it didn't overheat in traffic then that is a good sign. As I have mentioned on here before its worth putting two NEW rad-caps on and do a proper under pressure refill and air bleed.

I realise there is a difference of opinion on here about having a fan overide switch -- but it is MY preference to fit one as a backup when it looks like you are hitting queing traffic. ( Traffic jams on the Isle of Wight ? never heard of it sunny )

My only problem there is all the holes in my Brain-- remembering to switch it on at first sign of traffic.

Once you get over the "Butterflies" in your tummy each time you take it out and learn to trust it --- you will wish you bought one ages ago.

The one main thing I miss about the 1000 is the gorgeous exhaust note that the three cylinder makes . Much much nicer than any four cylinder in my opinion.

Enjoy your new beast and have many thousands of miles of motoring. cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 am

For anyone worried about overheating and fan switches.

Don't be a cow boy.

Fit something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Thermostat-Tempature-Control-Kit-Radiator-Cooling-Fans-/190795012990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6c44db7e

I fitted this exact kit about 3 weeks ago to a land rover and it works a treat.

Just shove the probe up a coolant hose join, wire it to be like a fan switch.

Hey presto, the fan kicks in at whatever temp level you adjust it too.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 am

Oi Matt. Just last week you and Logi were castigating me for mentioning the L.R. swearword on this site and now you traitor you have let the cat out of the bag --- you were actually WORKING on one of those THINGS that deposit oil all over your yard at that very time !!!

Youth of today !!! Blinking hopeless.

Its really odd that you should suggest the variable temp sensor because in my clear up last week I found one that I had used on a V6 Capri years ago-- bit the only thing I don't still haven't found, is the little double wedged piece of rubber with a slot in it that goes in the mouth of the rubber hose to seal the capillary tube and sensor on the end of it.

It was a brilliant bit of kit I must admit, but with my Coal Shovel, Mole Grip, Bear Trap, Arthritic hands I would run out of patience trying to get in there to fit it.

So a switch it is for me my friend these days. I just hope for your sake Matt that you don't have a history in your family of Arthritis. Its really draining with 24 hour pain in my hands, neck, lower back and knees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 am

HighlyJetted wrote:For anyone worried about overheating and fan switches.

Don't be a cow boy.

Fit something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Thermostat-Tempature-Control-Kit-Radiator-Cooling-Fans-/190795012990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6c44db7e

I fitted this exact kit about 3 weeks ago to a land rover and it works a treat.

Just shove the probe up a coolant hose join, wire it to be like a fan switch.

Hey presto, the fan kicks in at whatever temp level you adjust it too.

Just looked at that link you gave Matt for the fan switch and it is FANTASTIC VALUE. I paid a fortune for the Smiths one I bought for the Capri years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri May 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks, Woody - it is nippier than both my 998's (though one of those is quicker than the other). One 998 is going in for MOT next week - will see what it needs before deciding if I'll use Smurf or let my delivery driver use it. Don't often get traffic jams in town and I usually switch it off if held up for any length of time.

It came with one of those plastic liners in the rear - not sure about it yet as although it has it's uses everything slides around in the back and it's a pain lifting thins over it through the side doors. Might keep it anyway.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down