Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is there anything eles that is likely too go wrong with my angel?

4 posters

Go down

is there anything eles that is likely too go wrong with my angel? Empty is there anything eles that is likely too go wrong with my angel?

Post by robline Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:35 pm

ive have my van (vangie Smile ) for 6 months now, had head redone, cam belt, fan belt, last year had new suspension in the back. i really wanna convert her into a camper so i can go away surfing more often, im 21 and money easily at hand. should i be worried about all the work she has needed is there anything that is common failure on hijets that hasnt already gone. she is a 1.3 petrol/lpg 2001

any advice would be amazing, also if you have any advice on converting designs that would be wonderful

rob Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
robline
robline
Clubman

Back to top Go down

is there anything eles that is likely too go wrong with my angel? Empty Re: is there anything eles that is likely too go wrong with my angel?

Post by Logi Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Welcome Very Happy

What else can go wrong with a Hijet? Most things Wink

Yer 21, stop bloody worrying throw a single mattress & yer surfboard in the back and go for it! Twisted Evil

If it breaks we're here to help cheers
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

is there anything eles that is likely too go wrong with my angel? Empty Re: is there anything eles that is likely too go wrong with my angel?

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Logi wrote:Yer 21, stop bloody worrying throw a single mattress & yer surfboard in the back and go for it! Twisted Evil

Amen!

And welcome Rob

How many miles has it done?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by robline Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:16 pm

60,000 she made it the first trip in september fine then all this started. at least she is pretty though haha. know any places that sell cheap singels then
robline
robline
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Done much driving in it since you had the head work?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by robline Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:54 pm

yeah about a 400 she seems to be running fine, then had issues with her cutting out so turn the tick over up, most recently she over heating due to a blockage in rad which seems to have been cleared out by the mechanic. just one thing after the other but dont wanna give up on her Very Happy
robline
robline
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:41 pm

My only advice would be to do plenty of miles in it before you go trusting it.

Coolant system problems are one of the biggest head aches with hijets, and many come back to haunt!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:54 pm

p.s. Draw a line on the header tank when the engine is cold to show you the exact water level - then check it every chance you get to make sure it has not moved. If you shine a torch in the header tank cap hole you can see the fluid line easily.

Go drive it up some big hills, round the city stop start, on the motorway - they are the biggest workloads for the coolant system.

Or you could just sod it all, and get some decent AA cover and live for the moment.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by robline Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 am

haha decent AA cover was the first thing i did when i got her, cheers for the advice =]
robline
robline
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 am

Welcome, good to have another youngster here to offset the old-fartiness a bit! Other than overheating, just keep a regular eye on everything just like any 12 yo vehicle - the better you know it, the quicker you'll be able to spot things developing (a bit like women!)

robline wrote:im 21 and money easily at hand.
Lucky bugger - I can remember money running out way ahead of pay day at that age!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 am

PFM wrote:
robline wrote:im 21 and money easily at hand.
Lucky bugger - I can remember money running out way ahead of pay day at that age!

Me too - fast cars, long heavy weekends at the discotheque, chasing women about all took its toll on my current account!

They were good times though Laughing
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by robline Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:39 pm

it was meant too say isnt easily at hand haha, its easily in the pub and the garage haha. ladies do like "vangie" she is "cute" apparently. cheers for the advice ill put some pictures up while im converting the back
robline
robline
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:52 pm

If I was doing a camper conversion I would prioritize "light weight" in a big way. My hijet is so much faster and used much less fuel when empty compared to when its carrying a load.

For example, instead of making boxes out of big thick plywood, I would make frames out of say 40mm x 40mm timber, then clad them with thin hardboard - or white upvc cladding so it won't need painting and wipes down easy - something like this sort of stuff http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/cladding

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by robline Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:57 pm

weight will definitly be high on the list was thinking just one main box along passenger side with double lid that folds over too make a bed. if that fails ill just hang a hammock in the back =]
robline
robline
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Last time i used one of those "Readybed"s, it's like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/ReadyBed-Single-Camping-Air-34JJB29/dp/B00ATB4D6C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1361221878&sr=8-6

I use the van as a van so can't have owt permanant in the back(never know what motorbike will be in there next Smile )
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by robline Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 pm

that looks very interesting indeed the the question would be can i squeeze 2 in there haha. so is it an air bed with sleepingbag attached?
robline
robline
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 am

You get doubles, but once again, ffs yer 21, a single is waay room.enough for 2 Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am

I think they self inflate, and have some clever internal structure so they are much better to sleep on than a traditional pool lilo type air bed.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down