Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hijet speeding(!!)

+3
jonb67
PFM
redneck
7 posters

Go down

Hijet speeding(!!) Empty Hijet speeding(!!)

Post by redneck Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi Guys,
Yesterday I got nicked by a bloody speed camera, doing about 38mph in a 30 Zone (It was on a bit of
dual carriageway & when I joined it was 40 & I didn't see any 30mph signs) Still, such is life!
Anyway, it got me thinkin'. HIJET & SPEEDING are not words you often see together, so, who else
has been done for speeding in their Hijet, and at what speed? Perhaps we can appoint a CHAMPION
HIJET SPEEDER.

regards,
redneck

redneck
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Hijet speeding(!!) Empty Re: Hijet speeding(!!)

Post by PFM Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Bad luck M8. I reckon you'll probably win the prize for being caught speeding at the LOWEST speed - but maybe not...?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by jonb67 Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm

My hijet is pretty damned fast... assumed they were all pretty nippy?

I'd have no effort breaking the speed limit in it, even on the motorway. Is that not normal then?

jonb67

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Depend, sounds like yours is a 1.3 - the gti of the hijet world Cool

The 993cc is a little more erm.... agricultural.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Yeah the 'jet is quite fast for it's size & shape, but it's damn unstable. If
only Piaggio/Daihatsu had made 'em a bit wider.( I used to have a Daihatsu
Terios & that was too narrow too)
My 'jet is better with the wider wheels, but even so, if you catch a cross-
wind on the motorway, you still have to hang on damn tight to the steering
wheel.
Redneck

redneck
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 pm

My opinion is unstable yes but I think that a anti roll bar would help loads and If I have a few spare quid (if only) and happen to find a micra I can steal one off I think it would make a world of difference.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by redneck Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm

I just checked out Ebay for Micra anti-roll bars & was surprised how
reasonable the parts are.
Going to have to give this some serious thought- has anyone ever tried
this mod?
Redneck

redneck
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 pm

I beat the crap out of mine on a daily basis, down the back roads, getting the back end out, rallying its little soul off. It see's a lot of 3rd gear red line area Twisted Evil

I'll easily race your average 1.2 corsa down the back roads and lose them. Mostly down to the fact other people can't really drive hard very well. Puzzles me how I can lose someone who is driving a much much faster car round some corners, only to have them overtake me down the next big straight section, then I'm up their arse round the next set of corners. I have this problem with bikers on buxton/cat'n'fiddle road - they overtake me, then hold me up round the fun bits.

I don't buy it when people say they will topple over etc, never come close to giving any of my hijets a roll, spun them out a few times, lost my white one last week Mad

I do find they have a nasty tendency to under-steer a bit when your not expecting it though, breaking hard into a bend, then the little bastard won't turn in for you, but a quick rejig of the weight balance and it always turns in at the last second.

Often thought about anti roll bars, but not so sure if it would improve matters, might just make it more likely to lift the inside wheels off the ground, which might be where you lose grip more. They have quite a high centre of gravity after all.

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 pm

p.s I do this route a few nights a week on the way back from my mates house normally like 12pm to around 2am ish so the roads are dead, might see a couple of cars the whole route.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=London+Rd%2FA523&daddr=cw15pb&hl=en&ll=53.171061,-2.27005&spn=0.177397,0.308647&sll=53.245957,-2.134867&sspn=0.044272,0.077162&geocode=Ffx0LAMdw5Xf_w%3BFaM2KgMd-Vrb_ykvv_nmL196SDH-xtpM17wxUQ&oq=Macclesfield,+SK11+8l&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=14&z=12

Google maps says 37 minutes, but thats easily done in a hijet in about 25, in my old civic i've pulled it off in just under 20.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:59 pm

My feeling is not that it don't work just it would have a better feel the rear is so stiff for the load space and the front very soft in comparison. I find that it doesn't inspire confidence but at the same time it is not mine and it is full of not readily available glass as it's the MPV which I suspect has an even higher COG and yes they like to spin out couple of times in the last week in the snow and slush I have had it change ends didn't feel like it was going over but no amount of steering in could save it ended up on full lock twice with it still coming round. If the anti roll is set up properly then it is supposed to compress the other wheel to reduce the roll of the body which intern reduces weight transfer so better drifts.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 pm

ARB's are quite a complex feed back system when you think about it.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 pm

that they are and most road cars are not very well done although they are getting better old cars they were a U shaped spring attached to the chassis and the ends to the TCA's which adds spring rate and reduces the independantness later ones are more remote but being mounted more out the way and linked by rose jointed drop links however the progress of ESP and electrically altered fluid and valves works much better by retaining all independance from the other wheel(s) but add more relience on computing power and less on driver skill which is a rant I won't go into just yet Mad

Last edited by rich the mechanic on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling and grammer again)
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 am

I enjoy sliding mine round wet roundabouts but am always worried itll.hit a dry bit and topple over. Its probably ok but it feels like it will.
Was playing in the snow up at Aberfoyle trying to do a.360 and a couple of times had my bumhole going like a rabbits nose affraid
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 am

You won't topple unless you try the Scandinavian flick.

Hijet speeding(!!) Mg6pg10
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Logi wrote:I enjoy sliding mine round wet roundabouts but am always worried itll.hit a dry bit and topple over. Its probably ok but it feels like it will.
Was playing in the snow up at Aberfoyle trying to do a.360 and a couple of times had my bumhole going like a rabbits nose affraid

Last year in the snow and ice all mine would do was 360s or sideways,I would have liked to be able to go in a straight line! had to give up and leave it in the car park in the end!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Im guessing you mean 360 as in spinning round in a circle? Not what I was doing Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 pm

We went skating tonight had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th gear burn out going and still we didn't move.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down