Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank?

+2
elfin girl
stevelav
6 posters

Go down

unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank? Empty unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank?

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:08 pm

So I'm cleaning under my van ready for waxoyling and my LPG tank turns out to be quite rusty so I want to pop it off so I can clean the rust off all round. Easy enough to get the tank off but I would have to detach the fuel line to the engine. Will I be ok taking off the electric switch bit off the top of the solenoid valve leading to the fuel line (A) so that it remains shut and then disconnecting the fuel line (B) in order to take off the tank so I can clean it up?

Or is this a bit risky with a 1/2 full tank?

Any thoughts...

[img]unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank? Gas_ta10[/img]
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank? Empty Re: unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank?

Post by elfin girl Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Interested to know also, would like to tke mine off but unsure how to at the moment!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank? Empty Re: unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank?

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Well so long as its empty I would think you you can just detach the fuel line and remove the electric switch with no problems.

Its just when its got 15L of pressurised gas in it that I worry I might blow myself up!

On my van I can easily detach the filling line (which is the thick rubber hose) from where its mounted on the van with no need to detach that from the tank.

The bit to be careful of course would be putting it back and making sure the connection to the fuel line was gas tight - probably locktite or PTFE on the threads?

stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Sod that, just point the underseal gun up there and cover it all.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:17 pm

But I'll know that its all rusty up there and I'll worry about it.

I was amazed how deep the rust was on the bottom, the paint was only a bit bubbled on the surface but when I got into it in places I was chipping rust off 2-3mm deep.

If I can just take the top off the solenoid and undo the fuel line I can have the tank off in ten minutes and I might even repaint it
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Personally I'd use up or waste off the gas.

Having a load of LPG in a bottle, then dropping it or disturbing the seal might cause you a big fat accident.

unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank? Burn_o10

unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank? Burn_o11

unmounting 1/2 full rusty LPG tank? Burn_o12

"I'm just going to burn off a little bit of excess gas"
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:52 pm

And don't forget that LPG will cold burn your arm off if it gets to you.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 pm

You'd think it would be made pretty safe though being mounted underneath a car and all.

It just worries me that the solenoid valve to the fuel line might easily open without the fuel line attached and then Boom it might burn my face off (or freeze my face off) not to mention wasting £15 LPG

I might have to wait until the tank is empty and that could be a while as the vans off the road while I do all the jobs.
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Haha, I have a leak round my tank somewhere so that's what ive got to be carefull of, luckily I'd used most of the gas but do keep thinking what if someone throws a lit fag down when passing my van in the street! There must be a small amount in there still else I wouldn't be able to smell it, if I get time ill try taking it off when I put the springs on, thinking of looking for someone to check it over for me did find a company the other day who seemed reasonable cant find the link, think its on the laptop, I'll have a look later and post it see what you think
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 pm

the filler pipe should have a one way valve so as long as the fitting stays in the tank that should be fine, disconect the power to the solinoid (cut the wires) and take the pipe off the soliniod that goes to the engine, you may get some gas escape so do it in a well vented space, the solinods are fail safe (no power no open) I have had them hiss for a minute or so, not a good idea to have a fag break while you are waiting for the hissing to stop.
Make sure you have a jack under the tank as they can be heavy, well not heavy but the position they are in makes them heavy
when putting back together you will need some putty on the joints and some gas spray to check for leaks
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Very useful thanks, so you just cut the wires to make sure the valve stays shut and then reconnect them after, sounds like a good idea. And I guess the putty and gas spray are some gas specific stuff I can get online.

Any ideas on some thick tough rust proof paint I can paint the tank that will last, maybe bituminous paint or hammerite?
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm

one thing I will say, people always forget.............have a fire extinguisher in the location you are working, it's as important as a socket set
do't forget the gloves........LPG and skin does not mix
I just used lorry chassis black to paint mine, new bolts and locknuts to refix
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 pm

I don't mean to sound daft but if I set fire to the lpg tank will a fire extinguisher really be any use? I would expect some sort of jet of flame would shoot out and I'd be best off well away. I am working outside so ventilation is no problem.

stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:15 am

True, you won't be able to do much about the tank itself, but if a jet of flame comes out, it's pretty likely to set fire to something else, which you can put out. Powder or CO2 though, I don't think Water is a good idea around gas fires, but I could be wrong.

Although tbh, as long as nothing sparks, and you strictly make sure that nobody has a lit fag within a pretty wide area around you, a fire is unlikely. But a fire extinguisher is still a pretty important thing to have, if the worst happens.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelav Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:23 am

i'm not going to be setting fire to anything, i'll drop it down nice and gently, clean it up paint it and put it back on in a couple of weeks when i've done the waxoyling and hopefully it'll last another 10 years.
thanks for the info, very useful
Stephen
stevelav
stevelav
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down