Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tyre loads

+2
leopard_pagan
redneck
6 posters

Go down

tyre loads Empty tyre loads

Post by redneck Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi All.
I have recently obtained some 5J x 13" alloy wheels with the correct pcd, so I am now thinking
about tyres.
I want to use 165 x 70's, and am wondering about tyre loads.
The 'owners manual' states that the gross vehicle weight is 1550 kg. So far I have found tyres
rated at 79(437kg) & 83(487kg). Anybody have any views on the suitability of these?
regards,
redneck

redneck
Clubman

Back to top Go down

tyre loads Empty Re: tyre loads

Post by leopard_pagan Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:06 pm

our vans have commercial tyres, they are the only ones that can handle the loads. normal car tyres cant. thats why i wont go for snazzy alloys. i carry loads in my van.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tukz Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:55 pm

You've got to think that if it says 'say' 487kg that is per tyre and not per vehicle ,so if it is a 4 wheeled motor then it is x4.
Tukz
Tukz
Centurion

http://www.tuktuktravel.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by fupabox Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 pm

the rating is per tire...the good thing is that almost every tire out there was designed for a vehicle weighing 2x as much as a hijet +cargo and passengers...you could put double your maximun cargo capacity,a couple passengers and a full tank of fuel and not exceed the limits on 99% of the passanger car tires......gross vehicle weight is 1550 lbs not kgs........if I put 500kg in the back of my truck it would still weigh less than my Miata.......so...with 487kg per tire = 1948 kg or approx 4400lbs max load...that's 3x your gross vehicle weight and double your fully loaded weight.....you are absolutely fine on those tires no worries

fupabox
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:38 pm

I recently had the front two tyres changed on 'Rivet' and used a firm that I've been going to for years called 'East Devon Tyres' (highly recommended). I asked the manager if I could fit a cheaper car tyre to the van, rather than the more expensive van tyre? We did some checking and as it was only anothr £4 for a van tyre I got them anyway.

While we were at it he also looked at the specs for each of the tyres and said to me for what its worth they are virtually the same i.e. 487Kg per corner with car tyres and 500Kg with the van ones. The only thing he did advise was if I had the car tyres fitted then I should inform my insurance company of my move away from recommended fittings.

Given the size of our vans and their weight etc. I don't really think their is that much to worry about when it comes to tyres/wheels - its not as if we are exerting loads on them that they aren't designed to accept.

BTW has anybody had a ton out of a standard 'Jet' yet???

Last edited by SkippyGLI on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tukz Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:43 pm

I've had a ton out of a Hijet engine'n'Box but not in the standard van body.................. does that count???.
Tukz
Tukz
Centurion

http://www.tuktuktravel.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:48 am

Err , no Smile
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

tyre loads Empty tyre loads

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:16 pm

I think it should count but only if it was fully loaded to make up the weight and the fact that on 3 wheels there is 25% less road friction/drag alien

Rich.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down