Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ULEZ - what can we do?

3 posters

Go down

ULEZ - what can we do? Empty ULEZ - what can we do?

Post by marcy b Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 am

Hi, im new to this forum, and was hoping to seek some advice, help or just share concerns over making our Hijets more eco friendly.
Ive had my 2000 1.3 16v EFI since 2007, & ive loved it from the word go. I use it for work sometimes, and lord knows ive never treated it with the respect it deserves, but it has never ever let me down.
In 15 years, ive changed the timing belt, installed replacement headlights (same old reflector issue), had 2 new batteries - and apart from standard wear and tear replacements (filters/ boots etc), have never had any mechanical problems whatsoever - so lucky that i got a good one, and i wasnt even trying.
Having only covered 44k miles from new, around 15k of those with me, i now find myself in the new catchment area for ULEZ compliancy. Last year it was within the north/south circular in London, this year looks like it'll be extended to within the M25 (which im now in)- dependant on whether objections to it fail, and whether local councils actually erect cameras to enforce it. This leads to my concerns, as regardless of paying a tax to leave my driveway, there doesnt seem to be any way to reduce the emissions, as i cant find any companies even willing to talk to me about any vehicle prior to 2005. I dont need or want to sell it, but i'd like to at least try to make it compliant, as id like to do what i can to help the fight against pollution, and still enjoy my little Hijet.
The ULEZ itself isnt really the issue of course, just highlighted to me where we are with these older vehicles.
Having just gotten the new MOT yesterday, and taking a good gander underneath in the process, its so solid still, the chassis is so good - that i'm wondering if anyone else has been ble to do anything about the emissions. Mine passed but the emissions were a close call, and that's only going to get worse in coming years. Id really like to keep it on the road, but am out of ideas.
Id love to hear from anyone with the same concerns, or any suggestions to keep her alive. Im considering converting it to a minicamper or such other project, just to change the enjoyment use, but this of course doesnt eleviate the emissions problems.
Any thoughts from anyone?

marcy b

MiniTruckerSaul likes this post

Back to top Go down

ULEZ - what can we do? Empty Emissions

Post by jetex Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:51 am

My Hi-Jet is a 1993 carburettor version. When I take it to the m.o.t and they check the emissions, they set their machine to ‘passenger car’ and it fails. If they set the machine to ‘non passenger car’ (which is correct), then it passes. Check when your van is eligible for Historic Vehicle status as this may exempt it from the ULEZ charge.

jetex
Clubman

Back to top Go down

ULEZ - what can we do? Empty Re: ULEZ - what can we do?

Post by marcy b Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:41 pm

Thanks for the advice Jetex, sadly the readings are the same im my case (so im told), and i believe there's now a 40yr wait to give it historic status - im sure it was 25yrs in the old days, and that wouldve solved everything.
even converting/adding an LPG tank seems moot these days, as the seem to be phasing out very soon anyway. i wish i could convert it to hydrogen - all cars in fact - as that seems so much more sustainable than electric.

marcy b

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:13 pm

Doesn't ULEZ exemption (or otherwise) depend on the declared (by ?manufacturer) emissions rather than those of an individual example? If so there's probably not much you can do to adapt it, sadly.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by marcy b Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:06 am

yes - as far as i know, the numbers are generic for each model, as provided by the manufacturer, but as every vehicle is different, there are always things that have been/can be done to change the emissions (filters/catalysts etc), so its possible to have any vehicle checked (by a gov certified emissions tester) and redesignated as ok. Obviously if one hijet is passed, it doesnt apply to another, but if any had, then there may be a template to help others. I was just wondering if anyone had performed any such upgrades, or knew of any ways or ideas to help prolong the life of our little Hijets.

And i guess the ULEZ isnt my main concern, that is what it is, more to improve the emissions in general

marcy b

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:07 pm

marcy b wrote:Mine passed but the emissions were a close call

That's the first place to start, I'd say. I just grabbed my last MOT (Apr 2022) only to find another vehicle's emission test sheet included! Going back further, I find results of:
Fast Idle test:
CO 0.0004 (Limit 0.200)
HC 16 (Limit 200)
Lambda 1.002 (Limit 1.030)

Natural Idle test:
CO .002 (Limit 0.300)

I'm happy enough with that - how does it compare with yours? Don't forget one of the biggest variable factors is your right foot! Very Happy

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by marcy b Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:52 pm

Im going to try to get good engine compressions, put in new spark plugs, check correct valve clearances and a new air filter, and check the exhaust, as suggested to me. i may try seafoam too, never used that before and see if i can get some new readings, then i'll know if there's any dramatic change.. and that'll be down to me not really having bothered to much over the years, as it's always been a great runner

marcy b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum