Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes, another OMGHGF!

3 posters

Go down

Yes, another OMGHGF! Empty Yes, another OMGHGF!

Post by PFM Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:07 am

My '02 1.3 Hijet is over-pressurizing the cooling system, I suspect a cylinder is leaking to the water jacket. The van still runs very well, no water in oil or vice-versa. Van only used 3 mornings per week for local deliveries. Bad points are MOT due in Feb and tester said last year that it's getting a bit 'frilly' underneath.

I did try Steel Seal, to no effect - probably because I hadn't identified and isolated the offending cylinder as per the instructions in this case. The garage that does my MOT's doesn't have a compression tester, for some reason. I'm looking round for a replacement van which, depending how it works out, may be permanent or just temporary whilst this is fixed.

In the meantime, do I a) get a compression test done or buy a cheap tester and DIY then try Steel Seal again or b) bite the bullet and change the Head Gasket - a job I haven't done for many years and then only on BMC A-series lumps but am prepared to tackle (along with the excellent guide recently posted on here) but the problem is my lack of time and no covered area to work on it.

If a), do I get an ultra-cheap £7 or £14 one off ebay or a dearer Sealey one?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Yes, another OMGHGF! Empty Re: Yes, another OMGHGF!

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:16 am

Compression testing gauge probably won't show you which cylinder is leaking. If the leak was bad enough to show with a compression tester, it would be very very very far gone, so much so that clotting fluid products would be totally ineffective.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:25 am

Ah, didn't know that but it does make sense, thinking about it. Thanks, HJ.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:50 pm

If its a rot box is it really worth your life?

If it's worth saving and you really genuinely have the skills and aptitude, then you know the answer Very Happy
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm

It probably is worth saving and I'd be happy to do it if I had covered workspace and more free time to do it. Am thinking of seeing if I can sell it for 'spares or repair' as have now got a replacement van (2011 Vauxhall Combo).

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:46 pm

I dont really know whats going on but to check if one cylinder has leakage you can undo the plugs and put some piece of cloth in the cylinder an look if there is water in one cylinder and check if the plug is rusty dirty or wet. also you can undo the plugs and crank the starter see if water will spit out of the spark plug hole. but pull the fuel pump fuse first.

All these things are a pain in the ass with the hijet because the plugs are down below.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum