Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ignition Fault

2 posters

Go down

Ignition Fault Empty Ignition Fault

Post by Grecian68 Tue May 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi new to the forum, and having read a lot of posts over the last week have come to realise that there is a lot of helpful people out there.I live in Devon, England. I have a porter 2004 with a 1.3 16v efi engine. I rescued it with the intention of putting back on the road as it is to good to go to the crusher. I have a replaced the plugs and 4 x coil packs and 1 x igniter but still it is only running on 2 cylinders. Cylinder 3 & 4 are not firing, plugs are wet. cylinder 2 & 4 in firing order. I wondered if anyone has had the same issues, please help before my wife gives it the marching orders!!!

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Ignition Fault Empty Re: Ignition Fault

Post by Guest Wed May 22, 2019 8:47 am

Welcome to the Forum and Hi-Jet Ownership joys. The most likely thing after the parts you have already replaced, is the Camshaft Sensor on the back of the Cylinder Head.

I trust that you didn't buy those parts new. The Igniter Unit on the Camshaft Cover is over £400 from Daihatsu or Piaggio.
Have a look at the "Check your Sensors" article that Highly Jetted kindly set out for all of us. It gives you the readings for the Camshaft Sensor in one of the articles.

I have got Sensors on the shelf if you do find that you need one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

Hi again. It might be worth investing in an OBD2 METER. You can get a reasonable one for under £30 from the dreaded E-bay. Your van will have an OBD2 Port just under the Dashboard below the Brake Fluid Reservoir to the right of the Steering Column.

With the Meter you should get a reading telling you what is going on with your poorly van.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Wed May 22, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you for replying, the cam sensor is my next job. I did see the post from highly jetted, he is a guru. I will do the test on the sensor and see if make any sense of it, really want to get this back on the road before the wife starts giving me grief!!! Have got a reader coming for the weekend. I'm OK with spanners but electrics are not my speciality. Long time since i did my city and guilds.

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 am

They are not mine either. Electrics yes OK with that - Electronics - Nope. Take it to Bonchurch Garage where I take all my Mot's to, and let the experts sort it out if my OBD2 Meter doesn't come up with the answers.

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup Thu May 23, 2019 11:43 pm

Could this be anything to do with there being some vehicles with 2 coil packs (each controlling two cylinders) and others (like mine) with 4 coil packs?
Perhaps the igniter unit you replaced is the wrong type?
BTW, your nick suggests you are just down the road from me in Exeter, am I correct?
buttondup
buttondup
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2019 9:09 am

Hi B.U. The Coil Packs are different from the 2pack to the 4 pack (and my 6 Pack Very Happy ) and not interchangeable.

There is only one kind of Igniter Unit for the 4 pack System that I know of or have come across. As I have already mentioned the Camshaft Sensor is the next to look at. I'm not Electronics Knowledgeable unfortunately.
The only other thing I can think of is the ECU playing up if it not the Camshaft Sensor. Let's hope that the OBD2 Meter can pick up on the exact fault. Where is Matt when we need him?
I don't blame him for leaving Hi-Jets behind. They can be a bit of a pain in the posterior at times - but so can Electronics on any modern car and very costly for parts. I am lucky to have lots of spare parts to keep mine going.
But I am going to pack up at the end of July just before my Holiday. I need some retirement time - something I haven't yet had.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down