Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake compensator MOT failure

3 posters

Go down

Brake compensator MOT failure Empty Brake compensator MOT failure

Post by Tmatt Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi , I'm not sure if anyone can help but my Hijet has just failed it's mot this morning on a few bit's some minor and one apparently not, the brake compensator has broken and needs replacing. According to Staddlestones on the Isle of Wight, a new one is about £220 and takes up to a week to come from Japan. Does anyone know where I can buy a good used one or cheaper new one ? Any help much appreciated. I'm in Ringwood Hampshire. Cheers Tim

Tmatt

Back to top Go down

Brake compensator MOT failure Empty Re: Brake compensator MOT failure

Post by buttondup Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Funnily enough this has been an issue for me this week too.  The truck failed it's MOT as there was no braking detected at the rear.  In my case, I had overloaded my pickup with compost and the bracket that holds the valve to the chassis was slightly bent meaning that the actuator spring was further away from the piston valve.   Have a look and see how much space there is between them, unless it is contacting the piston I don't suppose the rear brakes would work at all.  In my case, I loaded logs in the back and it clears the issue.  It has been dissected and discussed quite thoroughly by the legend that is highlyjetted.

https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1822-lspv-rear-brake-woes-mot-failure-game?highlight=lspv
buttondup
buttondup
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 pm

For the newcomers and those with short memories (!), HighlyJetted was as highly respected back then as Woodie is now for his knowledge of vehicles in general and Hijets in particular, only younger. Oh, and HJ repaired them whilst Woodie takes them to bits, but then we do all need Woodie's bits! HJ has moved away from Hijets to concentrate on repairing vehicles electricy systems. Thankfully, Woodie is still here.

So, Tim, follow HJ's advice and you'll get through the MOT for free!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmatt Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi thanks to both buttondup and PFM for your advice . I found a new compensator for £152 from a Piaggio dealer in Italy I really appreciate the help but sadly as the vehicle is on the ramp at the local garage I'm not going to be able to fettle the old compensator which looks like the thing to have done as Highly Jetted pointed out. As an aside HJ did get my daughter out of trouble three years ago when she was in central Italy and phoned me to say that the cooling fan wouldn't go off, "I said it is because the engine was still hot it'll go off any minute". It had been on for an hour and a half after she had parked up and turned the engine off ! HJ answered the phone, diagnosed the frazzled relay problem and she got it fixed within 30 minutes at a Piaggio garage. He was so helpful !

Anyway after a couple of hours on the net, I found a new compensator from Italy for £152, more than I wanted to spend, but cheaper than anywhere I could find in the UK. There's a used one on ebay for £39.00 but it looks like it's been dug up by Time Team. Thanks again for your help. Tim

Tmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:29 pm

You must INSIST the garage gives you the old part - it belongs to you. Maybe you can then recoup some of your outlay.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmatt Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi PFM thanks for the tip, I've asked for the old one when it is removed , I'll see what state it is in and whether I can refurb it or move it on to someone who needs one.

Tmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down