Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated

+2
Raggy
HijetHelpPlease
6 posters

Go down

Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Empty Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated

Post by HijetHelpPlease Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello, I’d be very grateful if someone could help me with a starter issue with my Hijet...
I have almost no mechanical skills but would like to try to tackle the problem myself if possible.

My Hijet occasionally (and seemingly randomly) does not start. There's a click when the key is turned but the engine doesn't turn over. All other electrics will work - the dash lights and headlights come on etc.
Sometimes after a few attempts or waiting a few minutes it will eventually start.

Very occasionally the battery is completely dead when I’ve gone to start it. - Could be a separate issue?

It has had the alternator & starter motor replaced with refurbished parts twice last year, however both times the problem persisted.
The battery is relatively new and looks to be in good condition.

I’m not sure if there are two separate issues happening - Possibly the battery is not charging fast enough and there is a loose connection from the battery to the starter motor?

I have tried testing the battery and alternator, using a YouTube video and a multimeter  Rolling Eyes  Not sure how useful this is.
Engine off 12.96v
Engine turning on: dips to 10.4v
Engine Idle rises from 13.0v to 14.2v
All electrics, heating, wipers etc turned on: 12.4v
(After this test the van wouldn't start, think it killed the battery)

I've sometimes been able to jump start off the leisure battery. Although there’s been times when jumping hasn’t helped but waiting a few minutes just to try to start again has.

I've seen mention on the forum of wires hanging off the battery sometimes causing this. I've had the battery out to charge it and cant see any issues here.
I've attached some photos of the battery.

To make things slightly worse, it has a sticky accelerator pedal. So when we’re in first gear, there’s a balance between jolting the van forwards or risking stalling and not being able to start the van again!

Again, I’d be very thankful to anyone who can point me in the right direction. I can take more photos, if needed. Cheers.

Last edited by HijetHelpPlease on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

HijetHelpPlease

Back to top Go down

Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Empty Re: Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated

Post by Raggy Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:56 pm

The wires that we are on about are the ones comming from the positive terminal and going out through the battery box side. They may look good but you really need to unbolt it from the terminal, pull apart the plug socket from the other side of the battery box and take it out for a good test. I have had exactly the same symptoms twice and been that wire/s twice. Lots of lights just no fire. It’s because one of those wires feeds the ECU so no ECU no engine start.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Empty Re: Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated

Post by Raggy Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm

PS forgot to add, post some pics up in the welcome to the mad house section, I love the camper conversions, got one myself so would love to see pics of the Bambino.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 pm

Well you can certainly see that your Hi-Jet like all Hi-Jets are of Italian design (Piaggio) with all that coloured Spaghetti in your battery box. Do you know what each one is for and what the Relay is for.
As Raggy says the two joined wires on the Positive Terminal go to a Grey round connector just outside of the Battery Box. The two wires go right to the area underneath the drivers seat. One to the Yellow 60amp fuse holder and the other one dissapears elsewhere into the loom to the Alternator I believe. If one of the wires are broken or partially so you in the connector, you will get the lack of charging and hence the flat Battery

The usual villain is the aforementioned Grey Plug. Usually only one of the wires break inside the plastic sheathing generally where the wire goes into the plug. The problem can be intermittent when you wiggle the wires see what happens. The tell tale sign of the broken wire syndrome is when you turn the ignition on does the Orange Light with shape of an engine come on? If it doesn't then 99% likely to be one of the cables broken. Get a friend to lay underneath the rear of the van at the front of the battery box whilst you are in the driving seat and give the plug and wires a good bit of movement. If the light goes on and off then you have found one of your problems.

The Starter Solenoid will make the Machine Gun noise if the battery is flat or very low on charge or the large cable that goes to the Solenoid isn't making a good connection or Spaghetti Junction at the back in the Battery Box is not making a good connection.
You have quite a lot of issues there it would appear and you need to find out what wire goes where and what it does. You are to be commended for being willing to have a go yourself when your knowledge is scant. Ideally you could do with finding a friend who has a bit more mechanical knowledge and electrical too, to help you out.

I know that I speak for most regulars on our Forum and we are always willing to help out with advice and support. You will have to put up with some leg pulling from time to time and with my acerbic wit too. It is also handy to know roughly where you live as you may have one of our members live nearby so just spend a few minutes on Welcome to the Madhouse and introduce yourself and what you do how old you are etc etc. Also male or female as many times people come up with some pretty wierd names and one automatically thinks that it is a bloke and it turns out that it is a Bloke-ess. It's quite funny at times that we Macho Men are often shown up by a very nice lady who is willing to have a go at maintaining her own Hi-Jet.
Anyway you have got enough to be going on with for the time being but keep us informed and the more pictures you can take the better the chance of your being helped out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 pm

If you want an Accelerator cable or any other bits and pieces it's worth asking me first as I may have what you need. Except Headlights!!! Offside ones to be more precise. pale

Back to top Go down

Post by HijetHelpPlease Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Thanks both. Very helpful. I’ve taken a look and think I’ve found the grey plug and have unhooked it to take a closer look (photo). It doesn’t initially look like anything is wrong with it. The battery is dead, so I’ll test wiggling the wires and check for the orange engine light in the week once it’s charged back up.

It’s never made the machine gun noise, always just a click.

No, I’ve no idea what each wire does. I have noticed one of the wires looks like it was once hooked up to the positive terminal, but the metal ring holding it on has snapped off. Also one of the blue sockets on the wire looks like it could be missing something (photo). Any ideas what this wire is for?

I’ll make sure to get some photos up when she’s up and running again.

Thanks again.

Last edited by HijetHelpPlease on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

HijetHelpPlease

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 pm

Josh, if you can send me your mobile number to : hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com I will give you a call at a time convenient to you about the parts you need. You will be very unlikely to find a sliding door outside handle. They are about the most sought after Hi-Jet spare part going. New ones are around £70 each and the Piaggio Metal ones around £110 each.

Don't be tempted to buy the new ones on Ebay that are around £25. Totally rubbish. Total waste of money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 am

First thing is that the blue connector and wires are not standard, something another owner has bodged together to make something work. Wires need tracing back to see where they go really. Don’t think they are anything to do with the starting issue. Yes, you have found the correct grey plug. Fully test it, make sure connections are clean and it’s securely bolted to the +ve terminal of the battery and try starting it again. Now send your details to Woody and speak to the ObiWan of the Hijet World and see what he has in his Aladdin’s cave of parts.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 am

Hi again Josh. Just a quick note to say that if you (or anyone else) have got hold of any of my Mobile Numbers you will not be able to get through as I have Call Blocker in place. It is there to stop these dratted unsolicited callers and Time Wasters. If I haven't got your number then you can't reach me.

Your name and contact number needs to be in my Contacts list for you to be able to call or message me.
Just email me your mobile number and your name and then you can contact me or I will happily call you.

My Email address is hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com
Regards Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 am

Woodie wrote:Don't be tempted to buy the new ones on Ebay that are around £25. Totally rubbish.

I'm going to interject here that the cheapish door handle I bought from the infamous treadmill man has been totally adequate, and only marginally worse quality than the original. It is, however, a case of "you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get"...

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:55 pm

I had one (probably same ones) from Poland, as said they are no where near the quality of the originals but as said you get what you pay for, can affford to replace it a few time against price of an original though.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:53 pm

You must be either very lucky GGP or light fingered (No, I know you paid for them - didn't mean that). My Mobile Bear Traps can break most things. I bought 6 of them from Doctor Treadmill sometime ago and they were a pig to fit. Needed filing of the two Set Bolt holes and I think that I had some filing of the handle as well. They didn't last, so I would put them on a van I was selling and let the new owner break them.
Loads of members on here have complained about them in my 6 years on here (2/2/2013). I just don't enjoy pinging the door handle clips off to get the door panels off. I have made up a tool for that or if I can't find it Venetian Blind Cord does a Stirling job getting the U shaped Rocket Launchers off.

But they don't last. Highly Jetted had similar problems as did D1noh. It was him that told me about the Piaggio Metal ones. He has had no trouble with them.

But as you rightly say GGP - you get what you pay for. I have always bought the best Tools I can buy the best of what you can find or afford and many times a real BARGAIN, Good quality parts or tools at bargain prices.
Poor old Des our local Snap-On Dealer runs and hides when he sees me coming but a gentle shouted reminder about my Mobile Bear Traps and he sheepishly re-appears. lol!

The genuine Daihatsu ones are flipping expensive - but they still break so its not always true. All the years(16) I have been working on and dismantling Hi-Jet's I doubt if I have had 20 working handles and I have got very small supply left there is no way I would part with one. Same with the Offside Headlights..

So give the Treadmill Doctor a try and be very gentle with the handles. I NEVER use the outside Handles. I always put my arm down the side of the seat and open the door from inside. It has just become a habit from having over 250 Hi-Jets over the years so it is second nature to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by HijetHelpPlease Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Quick update. I’ve fully cleaned the grey plug and battery connections and charged the battery. Van didn’t start first time, but then started two times in a row, then after that would not again at all again.

The orange engine light did come on and from memory this comes on every time the ignition is on. Does this imply a break in the cables is unlikely?

I’ve yet to trace the grey plug to the fuses/alternator to check for brakes. And I’ve not taken apart the grey plug to check for any damage inside.

Like you say I may need someone more mechanically minded to go over things with me but I’m determined to do as much as I can before I do so.

Thanks Woody, I’ll email you my number. We’ve already got used to leaning over the seat to open the door. Just one of the van’s many quirks.

HijetHelpPlease

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:42 pm

There is a big difference between the engine not starting and the engine not turning over with the starter motor. Which one is it Josh??

Back to top Go down

Post by HijetHelpPlease Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Ah, apologies for my poor terminology. The issue is it is intermittently not turning over - there is just a click.

When turning the key there is about 60% chance it just clicks and doesn't turn over, and 40% chance the engine turns over and starts.

It's never turned over and not started - I've never heard the “ruh, ruh, ruh” or machine gun noises.

HijetHelpPlease

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 pm

I see from your first post that you have already replaced or refurbished the Starter Motor. But the symptoms you are experiencing does sound like classic starter motor problems with the solenoid just clicking.

Normally I would check the connection of the large Feeder Cable on the Battery and then check the cable connection on the Starter Motor.
Usually the intermittent problem of just getting a CLICK is when the engine is hot and also the starter motor being hot from transferred heat from the engine.
Did you buy a new Starter Motor last year or have someone strip your motor down??

I think that it has got to be a faulty connection - a nut not tight enough or the starter motor itself. It could be burnt contacts in the solenoid or a dead spot on the armature of the motor.

Back to top Go down

Post by HijetHelpPlease Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:41 pm

The replacement starter motor was a second hand, refurbished one.

After the problems continued, I took it back to the mechanic, who (as far as i know) had the same part striped.

HijetHelpPlease

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi. I had the same problem, she can and most important and tiny battery installed!

I bought the battery new from my local car parts shop and the guy behind the desk ( who has always given me sound advice in the past) took my number plate and went on his computer and assured me that it was the correct "small but powerful battery"

I too had my battery tested and stripped and cleaned my starter, tried lots of things and reas lots of posts.

Anyway a new bigger battery later and ice not had the problem one since! I can't remember the exact one I bought but it was a cheap £30 quid one from eBay. It only just goes in the battery box but it fits, maybe someone else tell you what battery they are using. I'll have a look at mine if not.

All the best
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Battery 12V 44Ah Type 063 420CCA

I think these were the specs of the battery
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HijetHelpPlease Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:33 pm

OK thanks, I will look into that.
Is there any issues with putting a battery with the highest cca possible in the van? Could that fry anything?
Woody has hooked me up with a new starter motor which I am also going to try.

Last edited by HijetHelpPlease on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

HijetHelpPlease

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm no expert but like I said I was having very similar issues and since I installed a bigger battery it has started 100% of the time 🙂 I lived with that little battery for over a year, when I saw that tiny battery in your pictures it brought back bad memories of never knowing if I would get stranded

Sent from Topic'it App
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed the shed Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:33 am

Hi joshk, I note that you have a leisure battery as well, I suspect that the relay in the picture is the charging relay for the leisure battery, this may be the cause of your intermittent flat starting battery check this relay is working properly and not sticking in the closed position ( contacts closed ) as for the just clicking and not turning over of the starter this points to poor contacts in the starter solenoid.
Ed the shed
Ed the shed

Back to top Go down

Post by chinfuk Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:43 am

Next time it happens try to get a jump start to eliminate battery issues

Sent from Topic'it App
chinfuk
chinfuk
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HijetHelpPlease Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:13 am

I have been able to jump start off the leisure battery in the past, although there has been at least one time when then wouldn't work.

I'm going to try this battery in there tonight and see if there any improvements.
I'm not happy paying Halfords so much for a battery I've seen for £30 cheaper on Amazon, but we're going away at the weekend, so hoping this could improve things quickly.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-hsb063-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee

One question I did have is, This battery has a bench charge of 6amps. The battery charger I use charges at 5 amps max. Does this mean the battery wont be able to charge or it will just be limited to 5 amps?

HijetHelpPlease

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi Josh. In answer to your question it comes down to this. If you have for example a 300amp Battery and it is down to 100 amps and the Battery is in good condition your Battery Charger will charge at 5amps. In theory to fully charge it up to full it will take 40 hours but in practice shorter time as the condition of the battery deteriorates.

The I contacted a couple of my local motor trade suppliers and gave them the measurements of maximum size of Battery I could get in the Van Battery Box and the Pickup Battery Carrier.

Southern Exhaust Systems got back to me with the details I wanted and a price for each Battery. I bought six as the price came right down with the quantity. I paid at the time 2 years ago £45 each. They are a good bit more now. I had to get a similar one for my sons Ford Focus and it was just over £75 with a 3 years warranty.

I will post some photos up of them if this darn Tablet doesn't play me up. The Batteries were Exide with a 70amp hour Storage and a maximum draw current of 540amp. I have also just installed a brand new 100amp Alternator with flat Polyvee Belt and Pulley Set from a Grand Move set up. The Hi-Jet one is 40amp or 45amp. The Grand Move has 50amp Alternator or 70amp in the case of the early 1500/1600 with AirCon and 4 Electric Windows.
I hope that you don't get stranded on your time away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Dsc_3910
Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Dsc_3911
Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Img_2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Dsc_0212
Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Dsc_0213
Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Dsc_0214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Dsc_0215
Starting issue at random times - Any help appreciated  Dsc_0216

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 pm

What I suggest you do Josh, is to go to Halfords and tell them that you think you may need a new battery. Ask them to do a 10 seconds Battery Voltage Drop Test.

Watch the meter very carefully. You ideally should have 14v /13v. Watch the needle during the 10 seconds and if it goes down to between 11v and 10v or worse then time to get a new Battery.

My Battery Charger I bought last year for £50. It is superb as it will bring back to life a seemingly dead battery that my other charger refused to do. It has resurrected several batteries that were in my Dead Pile.

Back to top Go down

Post by joop Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:20 pm

I suspect, based on my short experience, that empty battery and trouble starting might be 2 different issues. Let me explain: the previous owner of my hijet had the same problems, sometimes empty battery and trouble starting. He solved the empty battery problem by getting a bigger battery from the salvage yard (he told me they weren't sold anymore).

This did not solve the starting problem, i still have that one, but no empty battery.

One trick i found is to let the gas meter go to 50 or 75% (of what you have in your tank) and then turn the key (but not fully to the end). Three lights will come up, if you hear the engine having trouble slightly tap the gas pedal. And it starts! When it doesn't keep calm and wait a bit and try again, trying and trying it quicly many times seem to make things worse. It's a hijet Very Happy

joop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down