Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!!

5 posters

Go down

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Empty Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!!

Post by joeedwards Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I wondered if someone here could help. I have had an absolute nightmare with Piaggio and am losing the will to live.

I bought an ex-MOD 2008 Piaggio Porter, 1.3l van around 6 months ago. As I'm sure some of you know already, there is a registration process to go through with an ex MOD vehicle as it is type approval exempt when they use it for themselves. When it goes up for sale after they're done with it and it comes in to the hands of general civilian use, then it needs to be registered for public road use. There are several things the DVLA ask you to do including M.O.Ting, insuring etc. That's all done, the only problem I have is filling out the V55 registration form. In it they ask for a bunch of technical data on the vehicle and it's not something I can look up online. They recommend getting the information from the vehicle manufacturer as a Certificate of Conformity or something similar. I have contacted Piaggio and we are going round and round in circles, I paid for a Certificate of Conformity 5 months ago and am still none the wiser. So.....my questions is, is there anyone on here that can help me with this information, wether they have a 2008 Piaggio Porter van with the technical information on their v5 or have a technical data sheet/certificate of origin that they could perhaps share so that I can finally get this little van on the road? I've attached a photo of the v55, dubbed out all the questions that I can answer myself, leaving only the questions that I can't answer.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. I've given Piaggio so much information and they seem to just stall on everything and show no  effort to get hold of the information, it's so frustrating. If I can give any more information to help, please let me know, but again any information would be very much appreciated

Thanks,

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! <a href=Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! V55_5_10" />
joe

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Empty Re: Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!!

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:08 pm

I think that one of our members who has bought a 3 Tonner Twin Wheeler Tipper from Germany has had exactly the same problem. I can give him a ring at the weekend and see if he has made any progress.

He like you was pulling his hair out in frustration at the abysmal lack of progress.
If you have got it insured you might find it easier and more satisfying to buy a Gallon of petrol and a box of matches - which incidentally is my answer to any Daihatsu or Piaggio Porter Diesel. Hideous Italian Lombardini Plant Machinery Engined Rubbish.
Please tell me that you have a 1300 petrol engined version.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:11 pm

Just looked at your post again. Thank goodness it's a 1300.

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm

I have a 2007 piaggio porter van. You can have any details you like from the V5 other than the VIN and engine number, I suppose. It's a 1.3 petrol, 16v Daihatsu engine Euro IV.
Any good?

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Also i'm pretty sure you don't need all the answers as most of these are blank on my V5. The tax will be two hundred and whatever pounds a year regardless. If it was a 2006 however....

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 am

Hi gogopiaggio,

sorry I've only just seen your message, that would be extremely helpful if you could, I'd really appreciate it. I seem to be sent down a lot of dead ends at the moment and I feel like I'm never going to be able to register it. So yeah if you do have anything you could send me that would be amazing and yes although it is a 2008 it does have the euro IV engine and it's also a 1.3 litre

Many thanks,

Joe

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Hey Woodie,

did your friend get any where in the end? or did those box of matches come in handy XD

Joe

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 pm

I did call him Joe. But went to Answerphone so I left him a message. He got back to me a couple of days later and I missed him this time. He works on the roads and is on call 24/7 during the winter so it's like ships in the night.

I will try him late this evening and hopefully he isn't working or driving and also I will text him. Unsociable old Fart isn't on WhatsApp so communication of pictures etc is rubbish with just Email.
I don't understand what is the matter with my generation not keeping abreast of the times. Having said that I DON'T DO FACEBOOK or TWITTER or any of those platforms - but he does do Facebook. Typical isn't it.

Mind you my musical tastes are wierd for 69. I have Trance Music on virtually all of the day and night. Love it.
Good job we are all different. Makes the world go round.

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! 20190210
[url=https://servimg.com/view/19969599/23]

https://i.servimg.com/u/f56/19/96/95/99/20190211.jpg

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks very much for your replies guys, really appreciate it. It's interesting that Piaggio don't have a Certificate of Conformity available and that's the second V5 I've seen for a Piaggio Porter now that has very limited information on it. Makes me think that maybe that information just doesn't exist and was never used to register these vehicles.

I'm going to hold out just a few more days on Piaggio in Italy maybe giving some answers and if I don't hear anything, I'll attempt to send in all the info I've gathered, pretty much what's on your V5 haha and send it to them explaining the situation and just see what happens. That's what one of the customer services guys suggested at DVLA when I explained everything so I guess it's worth a try, will keep you posted, you never know, it may help someone else one day. Thanks again, Joe

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:54 am

Section O, U and V are not applicable to this vehicle. The CO2 g/km is not relevant for a commercial vehicle (the tax is not based on emissions).

Remember that alot of these sections have been added over the years and also have to cover most vehicles for all manner of applications.

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Cool, thanks for letting me know, I'll explain all of this in a cover letter then to hopefully push the application through.

Just waiting on a cheque book to send the fee with the application but there's one more thing you may be able to help with, where is the engine number exactly? I've found the chassis number fine but I've tried locating it using the workshop manual and can only seem to find a fairly faded 5 digit number on top of the engine casing, does that sound about right?

Thanks,

Joe

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:42 pm

On my V5, the number takes the form of HC0910000, where the last 4 zeros are other numbers.
Woodie, who rips engines out of these with his bare hands all the time, will know exactly where that number is. My van isn't in a convenient place for me to have a look today, sorry Sad

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:48 pm

Great, thanks so much for sending that info, I managed to locate it on the underside, it was just covered in dust but it has the HC followed by the 7 digits so must be it! Thanks for your help, I can now get it all sent off in the morning

Joe

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 am

Great! Let us know how you get on! Post a photo of your van if you have time!

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Steveincornwall Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:24 pm

joeedwards wrote:Hi Guys,

I wondered if someone here could help. I have had an absolute nightmare with Piaggio and am losing the will to live.

I bought an ex-MOD 2008 Piaggio Porter, 1.3l van around 6 months ago. As I'm sure some of you know already, there is a registration process to go through with an ex MOD vehicle as it is type approval exempt when they use it for themselves. When it goes up for sale after they're done with it and it comes in to the hands of general civilian use, then it needs to be registered for public road use. There are several things the DVLA ask you to do including M.O.Ting, insuring etc. That's all done, the only problem I have is filling out the V55 registration form. In it they ask for a bunch of technical data on the vehicle and it's not something I can look up online. They recommend getting the information from the vehicle manufacturer as a Certificate of Conformity or something similar. I have contacted Piaggio and we are going round and round in circles, I paid for a Certificate of Conformity 5 months ago and am still none the wiser. So.....my questions is, is there anyone on here that can help me with this information, wether they have a 2008 Piaggio Porter van with the technical information on their v5 or have a technical data sheet/certificate of origin that they could perhaps share so that I can finally get this little van on the road? I've attached a photo of the v55, dubbed out all the questions that I can answer myself, leaving only the questions that I can't answer.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. I've given Piaggio so much information and they seem to just stall on everything and show no  effort to get hold of the information, it's so frustrating. If I can give any more information to help, please let me know, but again any information would be very much appreciated

Thanks,

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! <a href=Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! V55_5_10" />
joe

Sorry a bit late. If you still need info of the registration docs , let me know? My Porter pickup is a 2008 which I believe from the shipping info left in glove box was ex military.
Steve

Steveincornwall
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 pm

Hi guys,

just a message to say that after 9 months, the ex MOD porter is finally road registered. Thank you so much for your help everyone, I used it to aid my application to the DVLA and I'm sure it helped so thank you! I didn't mention it before but I was actually in the process of turning it into a mini camper so when Piaggio told me they couldn't give me the documentation to register it after telling me they could, I panicked a little as I had already started work/sourced parts (won't be doing that again...).

Anyway, just wanted to say a big thank you and thought I'd share a few pics of the conversion,

Cheers,

Joe

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0712
Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0711
Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0710

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0610
Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0714
Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0713

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 am

Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0717
Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0716
Need Help With a Piaggio Porter!! Dsc_0715

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Wed May 15, 2019 1:49 am

That lens makes the inside of the van look like a mansion!
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed May 15, 2019 6:45 am

That is one nice looking camper, well done and some nice touches inside. You should be very happy with yourself for doing that. Glad you got it all sorted in the end.
Now although it’s finished don’t disappear from the forum, keep us updated with trip photos etc.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by gogopiaggio Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 am

That's one of the better conversions on any van I've seen, very neat. And just in time for summer.
Your van looks like it's in lovely condition too.

gogopiaggio
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 am

That is a beautiful conversion Joe. Fabulous job. You will have to change your Forum name to RAGGY Mk2. Skylark is definitely the best restoration job I have ever seen.

Such a professional job Raggy has done. The same goes for yours. Building it up from scratch is something to be really proud of. Well done and as Raggy said - keep us up to date with the trips and any niggly little Piaggio faults you may have from time to time.

You have already seen that there is often someone else who has experienced the problem you may have in the future and can help with pictures and advice. Stick around Joe. We may have 1057 members but over 50% have never ever posted anything on here.

What's the point of joining in the first place. You don't have to be a Member to access the Forum. You can read it without joining.
"Owt so queer as folk".

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks guys! It is a tiny mansion haha!

Thanks for the kind words, have you done a piaggio conversion yourself Raggy? If so I'd love to see it!

Actually I've just left a message on one of your posts gogopiaggio so funny that you mention that woody. The emissions light came on, I took it to the local mechanics and he reckons there's a slight misfire, tried new spark plugs and that hasn't worked so he suggested a new ignition coil. Ordered one which arrived today but apparently the part itself isn't the right one, oooooh. I can only seem to order the parts from abroad and even then they're few and far between. Where do you guys normally source your parts from?

Thanks,

Joe

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:51 am

Here is my restoration link CLICK HERE, but if you do a search for ‘Skylark’ on here you will fine all the other trip posts and other things I have done.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by joeedwards Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:34 pm

It looks ace, good job! I did see an interior like that on google images which I kinda stole the L shape seating from Smile How did you get on with sketch up? I've not used it but seen a few others doing so, is it fairly easy to learn? Hundred of pieces of paper seem to get lost!

joeedwards

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Sketchup is OK just takes practice, allowed me to try some ideas out but in the end most of it followed the plan but the final measurement was taken inside the van so it was accurate. The design is almost the same as the original, just with a few tweaks. To make it more practical for me.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down