Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water, water, water

3 posters

Go down

Water, water, water Empty Water, water, water

Post by Buffy54 Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:06 pm

As most will know I took the roof lights if last Wednesday, silly me n barriers. So whilst waiting for new ones arriving Wednesday I have lots of water in gally area, Will thus drain out? Got what I can out. When I bought the van and started stripping out I came across soaking timber , the thick ply sheet around the window. I took it off and replaced with battens and inserlation. Went to van this morning to check and found the inserlation was soaking again. It cant get in around the windows as they are completely sealed off until new seals are fitted arriving tomorrow. Can water get through the fiberglass,? If so what can I use to repair that inner skin. I'm thinking when I took ply off it took some kind of sealent with it It must of been bad for a long time. I will post up pics when home to give you a better idea. I have checked outside, no holes , but rather rough as you run your hand across it. All dry on the other side. If the van. I'm beginning to want to give up. It's one thing after the other. I have looked up online but not a great deal coming up on water coming through fiberglass unless it has holes in. Is it possible they could be so minute, I cannot see them. It's on with more shopping . I'm not giving up, just feel what next. Could do with some warm weather, upsets me to see water , water, water sitting in Buffy..

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Water, water, water Empty Re: Water, water, water

Post by Raggy Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 pm

I had issues with water comming past my window seal (rubber ones around the sliding door windows). Took a while to sort but used some correct window sealant to seal it to the body that does not fully set so allows for movement. It’s probably a similar thing, water wicking under the seal to the fibreglass externally. Woodie will have more experience on the Romahome. Surprising where water will seep in, you have come so far don’t give up now! Don’t think it will be seeping through the fibreglass though.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Raggy. I have striped out my new inserlation, dryed the wall. It's the section between window and gally. It's the cutout for a larger window., ( I have smaller) when I bought the van the ply that covers this was rotting and soggy wet and had to come out, then revealing small rusty rivets. I can't understand why as no evidence from the outside. On further inspection I took a soft tissue and pressed on the river heads. The tissue soaked in water. I dabbed each one and applied a good silicone blob. I then thought I would stick kitchen roll in separate pieces to see what I find in the morning. The idea is I might be able identify. I have new seals for Windows and doors. I don't think it's the windows, however tomorrow I will remove old seals and stick kitchen role all round. Wednesday should be sunny so will change all. Then it's in with the roof lights. I'm a busy girl. This van has to be ready to take me to Dorset from Swansea, I'm off to a handpan festival, I want a bed for 3 nights, I'd love to show her off. She has been spoiled since I've owned her, how can so give up.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Buffy
We had damp issues in the pod - one source was the window seals (unlike yours) my windows are fixed single moulding of Poly whatever double skin. If your are the sliding type - I would be double checking the channels they slide in and there should be small external drain holes.

The second source was where previous owners had pierced the skin - a bracket for TV ariel or something - I removed everything that went through the skin - each hole I filled with Epoxy Putty - very easy to use - as simple as plastacine!!!!
I drilled any hole to about 6mm if it was small - then flared the hole using a countersink bit before pressing the filler in place then sanded down.

Afterwards we roller painted the whole pod using Kramps Tractor Paint - dries in 2 hours.

Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:03 am

Going to answer tomorrow. Been on with Buffy for 12 hours, falling into bed, happy and achieved. Pics to follow, roof lights coming tomorrow

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Water, water, water 15349410

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Water, water, water 15349411

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:10 pm

This is one way of sending when you can’t get the post to go.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Is this any good for my repair, so many to choose from.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Buffy54 wrote:Is this any good for my repair, so many to choose from.

Sent from Topic'it App

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Starbright epoxy repair putty stick. Can’t seem to load pics. Seems very little for your ££££. Any advise on a good brand. This one says even if it’s wet you can use it.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Lost my reply - short answer yes - if you end up with a few bumps and blemishs I would use Vynil Graphics as a camouflage.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks Jon. Was this what you used. It’s not going to show it will be hidden under the wall finish. I am going to need enough to do all around the ridge of the window template. It’s fine elsewhere. Need a fare bit to make sure. I would be devastated to put all my efforts in and then have even the slightest of water. I’m dreaming of a nice fresh smelling van

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:41 am

Buffy54 wrote:
Buffy54 wrote:Is this any good for my repair, so many to choose from.

From Bally resolved were the water was coming from with my kitchen roll test. Water seeming from around the larger window template revealed under the rotting wood that I removed. Bought a fiberglass repair kit from Tool station for £7 . Comes with fiber cloth. Covers the tiny holes, then covered with the fiberglass cloth , then apples another coat. Did I get in s mess? yes hate the stuff. Rained all night, jobs a good one. Fitting roof lights tomorrow. Buffy us looking better.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 am

Woops was meant to say Finally ! The product was called Bad Boy repair kit. Great price bought two tins, also got sikaflex to bed the skylights in. After all it was Woodie who recommended this.
Thanks to all for guidance.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Buffy This may be a bit late for you but - a good source of advice on repairing / fixing / altering GRP is Practical Boat Owner
https://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/repairing-holes-in-grp-26713

Although you appear to have done the job.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Yes all sorted on the inside, ended up with no more leaks from that area. Still have a couple more bits to do in gally area. Little amount sitting under sink and fridge area. Taking a close look it may be coming from from hairline crack near rear lights. I intend to repair when it stops raining.
Thank you for the link, I will still take a look, all helps.

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Buffy54 wrote:Yes all sorted on the inside, ended up with no more leaks from that area. Still have a couple more bits to do in gally area. Little amount sitting under sink and fridge area. Taking a close look it may be coming from from hairline crack near rear lights. I intend to repair when it stops raining.
Thank you for the link, I will still take a look, all helps.

Also look where the main electrical cable(s) comes in from the trailer socket under the van.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 pm

I will take a look at this for sure. Many thanks

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:24 am

Think Woody once said water comming in around the rear lights was a common issue.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Raggy wrote:Think Woody once said water comming in around the rear lights was a common issue.

On the Mk5 (curved lights) pod maybe,  But on the Mk1 pod I cannot see that as the Mk1 has surface mounted lights (like you fit on trailer boards etc.)  I replaced mine with LED units and LED fog lights - high on the back I have another LED fog light unit wired as the high level brake light.  The only bulbs on my set-up are the headlamp bulbs everything else is LEDs.

If it is the hairline crack - you will probably have to enlarge it in a V section to work in the filler Epoxy Putty or whatever - but first drill a hole at each end of the crack to stop it running.

Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Still not t got around to this address been away. On with the show this week. Holidays are over. Was nice to have a break. Thanks for advise.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down