Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Service intervals

4 posters

Go down

Service intervals Empty Service intervals

Post by PiaggioLux Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:41 pm

I have sorted out all the issues with my 2015 2qPiaggio Porter including the fluid leak and the problematic door speaker. The van is now running perfectly and has no problems at all. I did, however, have a few questions about service intervals. The engine oil change is recommended at every 15,000 km and the air filter at every 30,000 so those are okay. What I would like to know are the service intervals for:

1. The rear differential
2. The fuel filter
3. Coolant
4. Manual gearbox
5. Auxiliary belt
6. Spark plugs

Does anyone have any specific (or even general) guidelines on these?
Is there anything else I am missing in terms of serviceable items? (The engine appears to have a timing chain rather than a belt, so I suppose that is a lifetime item.)

Thanks for any help!

PiaggioLux
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Service intervals Empty Re: Service intervals

Post by kernowjon01 Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Personally I change engine oil every 5,000 miles (8,000Km) Oil filter every second oil change.
When I changed the rear diff oil - it appeared to be the first time it had ever been done and that was 70,000 miles. I will change at about 20,000 miles (32000 Km) The same for the gearbox
Coolant - I use premixed coolant (no water) and do not think it needs changed until a component (hose, pump, thermostat etc) needs to be changed.
These are my opinions.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 am

My (personal) 2009 Porter service schedule :

Engine Oil - every 5,000 or annually whichever comes first; I use semi-synthetic 10-40
Oil filter - at each oil change (the filters are only £6.00)
Air Filter - Every year (the filters are only £8.00)
Gearbox - every 3 years or 20,000
Differential - every 3 years or 20,000
Fuel filter - personally I don't bother
Coolant - If using a high quality organic coolant - change every three years
Spark plugs - Modern plugs are long lasting - check, clean and gap every 2 years or 20,000; renew every 5 years or 50,000 miles
Brake fluid - this is important; yes, it's a real pain to do but it should be done at least every 3 years. DOT fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the environment at about 3% a year. Whist this has some advantages for the system it threatens the lines/joints if the concentration gets too high. New cars have their first fluid flush at two years. 3 years seems a sensible interval although the official Porter handbook suggests every two years.

The rest of my timings are much more frequent than the official intervals because my Porter only covers about 2-3000 miles a year and I believe that low annual mileage vehicles need more routine maintenance than higher annual mileage ones.

John.
biofos
biofos
Chatterbox

http://www.biofos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PiaggioLux Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks both for this wealth of information. The Piaggio is coming up on 30,000km so I am thinking an oil change and air filter service. Since it’s a 2015, I suppose the brake fluid should be up for a change as well. The van was leaking coolant so that was changed when they fixed the leak this year.

I was thinking differential at 40,000km. We use the Porter mostly for hauling smallholding related stuff like fencing, posts, earth, etc... and for taking the dogs on weekend hiking trips. It doesn’t see much stop and go driving and I drive it primarily on rural roads with loads.

I have to admit, it’s a great little vehicle but sometimes it wanders bad in high winds.

PiaggioLux
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 pm

PiaggioLux wrote:

I have to admit, it’s a great little vehicle but sometimes it wanders bad in high winds.

If you want to experience "wandering in high winds" get yourself a Romahome demountable body, (Use it as a truck for your smallholding - pop on the body and away for a weekend break Rolling Eyes ) Seriously I have driven mine through at least 5 real gales - only once ironically near home did we turn back and once on the M6 I turned off at Shap and went onto the old A6.
Anyway have fun.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Buffy54 Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:37 pm

PiaggioLux wrote:I have sorted out all the issues with my 2015 2qPiaggio Porter including the fluid leak and the problematic door speaker. The van is now running perfectly and has no problems at all. I did, however, have a few questions about service intervals. The engine oil change is recommended at every 15,000 km and the air filter at every 30,000 so those are okay. What I would like to know are the service intervals for:

1. The rear differential
2. The fuel filter
3. Coolant
4. Manual gearbox
5. Auxiliary belt
6. Spark plugs

Does anyone have any specific (or even general) guidelines on these?
Is there anything else I am missing in terms of serviceable items? (The engine appears to have a timing chain rather than a belt, so I suppose that is a lifetime item.)

Thanks for any help!
This is a great thread for us new to Hijets. All screen shot and filed away in my pictures. Posted up on the cloud to keep safe just Incas I loose the original. Thanks all.

Sent from Topic'it App

Buffy54
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down