Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High fuel pressure ? Aftermarket pump

3 posters

Go down

High fuel pressure ? Aftermarket pump Empty High fuel pressure ? Aftermarket pump

Post by Joel93 Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi all iv got some issues/potential issues with fuelling on my 1.3 55 plate piaggio porter camper convention.

First of all I bought the camper not running the fuel pump had packed in and the previous owner was planning on fitting an in-line pump off a land rover freelander (this came with it) so last week I set to work and fitted the new pump leaving the old one in the tank , new inline fuel filter before the pump and replaced all the fuel lines with rubber as they looked abit rotten , camper fires up and runs nicely idles and revs up nicely for a couple of minutes then it starts leaking fuel from the purge can under the drivers seat after much fibbing I just added a straight connection on the fuel return so it when straight into the tank
*so I’m now not using purge valve is this okay ? I should also add that the tank breather is not connected to the filler neck as the neck has been modified for the conversion it’s just running along side into open air.

Anyway at the weekend camper is running and passes an mot , so I head to the coast 250mile round trip. Drives fine hills are a struggle but sits at 45-50 mph fine, when you stop at a junction or traffic you can hear the fuel pump whining even though it’s brand new ? this is after say 10mins of driving not on start up. It also seams to every now and then when pulling off junctions jump and lurch for maybe 5 seconds then carry on as normal . Anyway it made the trip but would like to sort these issues before theyleave me stranded.

Thanks
Joel

Joel93

Back to top Go down

High fuel pressure ? Aftermarket pump Empty Re: High fuel pressure ? Aftermarket pump

Post by Raggy Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Why not just get a 1.3 correct pump and have done with it. Then pipe it as it should be. At the moment you have too many variables in the equation to say exactly what the issue may be. Are all the new pipes correct fuel grade hoses? What kind of conversion is it for it to have the fuel filler modified? Some photos may help, if you can’t post pics, put some links to them.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

High fuel pressure ? Aftermarket pump Empty Re: High fuel pressure ? Aftermarket pump

Post by Joel93 Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:18 pm

I'd like to just replace the standard pump but can't find one, anywhere I can get one from? Gauge sender needs changing too so the tank needs dropping anyway. I am lead to believe pickup fuel tank is different but will a normal van tank fit?
It's a Bedford nipper motor home back on a piaggip pickup, I'll get pictures at the weekend.

Joel93

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Pickup tank is different to a van tank.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi Joel, I have a 2001 1.3 pick-up with a Romahome demountable body fitted.- As Raggy said the van and pickup have different fuel tanks. - However my issue is my fuel pump is an inline - not as you say yours is - an in tank pump you make no mention of the charcoal canister. I have a feeling you have purchased your van from the Artful Bodger. Are you using proper fuel pipes? Most are no longer rubber due to the pressure in injection systems also older fuel lines degrade rapidly due to the Ethanol in modern pump petrol.
Are you working with a full workshop manual? If not I would suggest you go to Smallmotorhome.co.uk on that site you will fimd some downloads - a full Daihatsu 1.3 workshop manual and a Romahome Demountable manual - both of which I think you may find will help you.
http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/downloads.html
Also you may find that sites forum is a help.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel93 Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:50 pm

Yes I believe my van should have a i tank pump , the charcoal canister under the drivers seat ?

Joel93

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 am

Joel, reading your description - your van (like my van) is not a van but a pickup.  
On mine which has not been mucked around the pump is attached to the chassis roughly in where the front of the rear mudguards are.
What amazes me is your van runs - is the Orange EML light on or flashing all the time?
Re tank I would email - hijetmaniow@gmail.com and ask him if he has the correct tank, fuel pump and the fuel lines - I think until you reinstate everything to standard you will be having problems - modern injection engines are too dependent on the correct parts. Sudden thought - I am assuming the engine has not been swopped for an earlier engine.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel93 Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 pm

No lights on , can anybody point me in the right direction for the new pump , mine is the in tank type.

Joel93

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 am

Hi Joel - I spoke to Woodie - it appears my van is nonpstandard with an in line pump. That said my pump works fine.
As I said and I think Raggy said too the fuel lines should be of the correct type and with fuel injection and the pressures involved that is specially reinforced piping - if I were you I'd email Woodie - sorry I gasve you a wrong email

thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down