Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daihatsu Hijet Brake Compensator Valve Desperately Needed! Please Help!

2 posters

Go down

Daihatsu Hijet Brake Compensator Valve Desperately Needed! Please Help! Empty Daihatsu Hijet Brake Compensator Valve Desperately Needed! Please Help!

Post by Harris29 Fri May 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Hello chaps, I'm new to the forum so thank you for having me.

My trusty Hijet 1995 (Van Halen) has failed its MOT two weeks prior to taking the old girl to Europe.
I've tried phoning round for parts and the usual google treatment but no luck. I thought I would try here before giving her up.

Can anybody help me? Any advice or know of any second hand?

Harris29

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet Brake Compensator Valve Desperately Needed! Please Help! Empty Re: Daihatsu Hijet Brake Compensator Valve Desperately Needed! Please Help!

Post by kernowjon01 Fri May 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Hi Try messaging Woodie.

Have you tried getting it working again - I assume it is the external lever that has seized -if so you could remove the lever and free it up using lots of WD externally.

Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet Brake Compensator Valve Desperately Needed! Please Help! Empty Re: Daihatsu Hijet Brake Compensator Valve Desperately Needed! Please Help!

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Have you checked it out yourself "H".? It is a two man job. Jack up the offside and remove the wheel. Undo the nut on the bracket on the axle that holds the link with the spring on it. Push the lever up hard against the rubber covered piston hold it up, at the same time get your helper to depress the brake pedal. You should feel the piston push the arm DOWNWARDS. The piston only has about 4-5mm of movement. Provided that the arm does move down under brake pressure then the spring pressure is not enough. Move the arm to the highest position on the slotted bracket.
Failing that I have made a short flat bracket with two bolt holes in it about 35 - 40mm apart and bolt it to the axle bracket and then the piston to the Spring link. Raising the link puts more pressure on the LSP Valve.
It is rare for the piston to be seized in the valve unless it has been standing for a long time. I appreciate your van is1995 so if it was standing before you bought it then the piston could be siezed. Try that first and then go from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down