Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coil please

4 posters

Go down

Coil please  Empty Coil please

Post by elfin girl Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello, hope alls well in hijet land.
The weenybago started spluttering last week so dropped it off at the garage begining of this week. So far they changed the spark plugs and fuel filter with no difference. He says now it is the coil.... But he can't source one, everyone he's phoned says they don't sell them.
Anyone got any ideas where I could get one from?
Cheers
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Coil please  Empty Re: Coil please

Post by Guest Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Why didn't you call me you Lemon. Yours is T reg and has two Coil Packs, one, on number 3 Cylinder and one on number 4 cylinder. They have 2 different length Plug leads to number one and number two . It is most likely to be one of the Coil to Spark plug connectors that is shorting out.

Both Coil pack connectors are the same but he needs to identify which plug connector is shorting. Simple enough just remove number one lead first and see if it runs rough. If it runs rougher then try number two lead. If it is still running rough then he will have to remove the Coil Pack on number three . After that he needs to check number four cylinder if it only runs on two cylinders. I have got Coils and Connectors.

I don't think that it can be a coil as the one coil fires two spark plugs simultaneously, known as Wasted Spark Ignition. The spark plugs fires on the exhaust Strokes as well as the Compression Stroke. It is a cleaner running engine than the later 2001/2002 onwards engines.

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks woodie, i will relay the information to him on my way back from work tomorrow and let you know what the result is.
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Coil please  Dsc_0214
Coil please  Dsc_3610
Coil please  Dsc_3611

This is the various parts you may need. Most likely the straight connection or the connection with the lead to another spark plug.

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 am

Well i walked via the garage on my way home from work yesterday and asked for more information on what parts he required, questioned if any of the leads would needs replacing and how he knew it was the coil ( and asked if it was just one he needed) he said well, actualy there are four, one on each spark plug ... I raised my eyebrows ... He got quite condescending and started to explain in baby talk how wack spark plug had a coil sat on top of it .... I raised my eyebrows again and said, are you sure about that? I believe there are two (holding fingers up to him) .... Umm, no madam, I belive there are four .... Me, well are you sure you changed the spark plugs? Him, oh, hang on I didn't do it (shouts to back of shop to lad who did the work asking how many coils were there) reply ... Two Laughing
So obviously a little embarrassed now the talk turns to leads, he tells me as they are insulated they can't really be tested, I explain that he could probably take one of at a time to see if it make the running worse, as the engine runs fine at a standstill he thinks that won't work. He also thinks that it could still be one coil as I might still run like that on two spark plugs ....
Anyway this is getting long, ....
How much for all the bits in the picture Woody? I'm more than capable of changing the leads myself and as I still have my main key when they arrive I could do a stealth run down the road one evening when he's gone home and try them out for myself (van is parked up outside garage when it's not being worked on) saves him spending more time changing things that don't need doing!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:23 am

Nice one there Donnella. Well done for standing your ground with Mr Richard Cranium.. New single Pack Coils and Connector Chimney are around £75 to £101.77 each on Ebay. Dual Pack Coils ( the ones you need) are £58 but no Spark Plug Leads and have not found any listed yet but will keep looking for the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 am

If you want a pair of Coils, Leads and Chimney Connectors it will be £50+ £ 6.50 post and packaging. I just hope that your garage is correct in his diagnosis. As I have said before - I don't like getting involved in disputes by proxy - with PROXY GARAGES - if you get my drift. As you know I don't use bad language in Public Forums - even though I often feel like screaming abuse at them. I can't guarantee that this is the problem obviously but in his case of obviously not having done a thorough investigation I can only go on what you and he have already said.

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Forgot to text your earlier so will message on here as I'm at work tomorrow and will probably forget again!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Damn it, I don't think the message worked! Anyway, can't remember all of it but something about how do you want payment (can PayPal if you like) and are fuel injectors difficult to get hold of? Just incase .....
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Woodie wrote:. As you know I don't use bad language in Public Forums -

I don't give a fuck, so what I reckon Woody is saying is that yer garage man sounds like a giant fanny Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Logi wrote:

I don't give a fuck,  so what I reckon Woody is saying is that yer garage man sounds like a giant fanny Smile

I reckon you could do better that that Logi Wink .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 am

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Logi wrote:

I don't give a fuck,  so what I reckon Woody is saying is that yer garage man sounds like a giant fanny Smile

Haha, yeah, I reckon your right.
After being all condescending with me and then being put in his place he phoned the parts company to enquire about leads and was sooooooo, rude to them. He said to me "bloody can't get the staff they are thick as two short planks there" so I replied ...
Yeah, imagine what it's like being female and knowing a thing or two about your vehicle and having to talk to these idiots in car places Surprised
was going to pick the van up on way back from work today but it was peeing it down so don't bother, will get sometime this week though.
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:43 pm

I really need to learn to have a bit of faith in my own skills ..... While waiting for leads ect to arrive I picked up the van from the garage and brought it home, poped out to it today to remove the panel over the engine and just have a quick look at the leads ect ..... Seems diagnostics is not on the curriculum for mechanics these days ....
Last picture is what I'm presuming is an earth lead that should be connected to the coil? I'm sure I remember putting on there when I rebuilt after doing the head gasket ?? It doesn't look like it's been connected to anything for a while!

Coil please  Image11
Coil please  Image16
Coil please  Image12
Coil please  Image13
Coil please  Image15
Coil please  Image14
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Nope. Coil is earthed through the two 10mm nuts on the studs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:53 pm

LookCoil please  Img-2010
Basically it doesn't do anything. It is earthed to the Brake Servo Pipe and the 10mm set bolt on the camcover. It would just about earth a brake light bulb. I cannot see of what earthly use it is. (Pun).

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Don’t know anything but that bit looks broken
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 pm

Some of the insulation around the coil pack chimney connector is definitely broken away. Could cause a misfire to one of the two rear plugs.

The wire and loop EG is holding is supposed to be under the 10mm set bolt just to the right of the Coil Pack retaining nut. It is just between the Coil Pack and the thick
length of your wiring loom, but as I have said I can see no purpose whatsoever for why it is there. Just as well cut it off.

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Yep, I can see exactly where it was connected now Woody.
And raggy yes part of the coil connector has broken, it came off as I was taking it out, I'm guessing being carefull whilst fixing other people's vehicles isn't high on the agenda for paid mechanics these days either. One of the bolts wasn't done up either . It took all of five minuets for me to spot this, and several days for the mechanics to not notice it Neutral . I blame myself for thinking it would be quicker to get a professional to look at it and fix it Surprised
Oh, and he had the cheek to ask me why I don't sell it and get something nicer Shocked
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:39 pm

So after a bit of PayPal confusion not got replacement bits yet (my blurry eyes and not paying attention resulted in me typing in the email address for Woody incorrectly, which obviously meant he didn't get payment Embarassed )
So, I set about seeing if just cleaning things up would help , seems to have helped but I've not driven far as not had time today.

Coil please  Image18
Coil please  Image17
Coil please  Image19
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 pm

It's amazing what you find when you aren't looking for something else - if that makes sense.
I was looking for a set of locks and ignition switch /lock.

I found this one Dual Coil and both leads, so missing a Coil pack. Took pictures of them last year some time.
What is the green /yellow collar on your Coil pack. This is what the pack should look like and the Connector Chimneys.

Coil please  Camera39
Coil please  Camera40
Coil please  Camera38

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:49 pm

The green/yellow bit is insulation tape, to cover the gap created by the broken bit at the end. Not sure if it was necessary or not but figured I'd give it a go. It drove round the block ok earlier but not had chance to go further yet (figured I need to account for extra time walking home if it breaks down Laughing )
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Would definitely want this Woody. Not long replied to your text. Apologies if it is as a bit late.
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down