Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Request for assistance

2 posters

Go down

Request for assistance Empty Request for assistance

Post by Shirty Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 am

Hi,

I joined the group a several months back having bought a diesel Devonian camper, only for the motor to blow up when my wife was travelling back from Kent! (as descibed in the welcome section under 'new owner - tale of woe!')

Woodie has been able to help & I now have a replacement engine sitting on a pallet at home. The problem I have is that I do not have the facilities to swap over the engine, so am looking to see if there is anyone nearby who would be willing to help, or point me in the right direction. I'm in Letchworth Garden City, Herts.

I really would like to get the bus back on the road rather than get rid of her so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

cheers - Shirty

Shirty

Back to top Go down

Request for assistance Empty Re: Request for assistance

Post by Shirty Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 am

Hi, a quick update, I've found a garage who can swap the engine for me for a reasonable cost, although it is taking a while, but there's no major rush.

I spoke to the guy yesterday who reported that everything looks pretty good & solid underneath  Very Happy  the only fly in the ointment is that the engine mounts are pretty much shot  Sad  

I contacted Woodie, but unfortunately he doesn't have any, so I'm asking the general board to see if anyone is breaking a diesel & has a set of engine mounts available? Fingers crossed!!

Cheers

Shirty

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 am

Good to hear you are sticking with it. Glad you found soneone to help swap the engines. Have you tried a Daihatsu dealer although they would probably be costly from them. Have you tried the Facebook forums for hijet?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirty Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:12 am

Cheers Raggy. The guy doing the swap did contact Daihatsu, they were very expensive & on a 6 week delivery! Will join the Facebook group too & see if I get any luck there. Cheers.

Shirty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirty Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi, just in case anyone is still interested, we're still waiting to have the van returned from the garage! We wern't too fussed during the winter months as it was stored under cover, but it's now turning into a bit of a saga!!

Without wishing to bore you with the details we are close to getting it back, the engine has been installed & runs up, hooray! But they've now discovered that the fuel tank is rusted through in a couple of places, so it won't pass the MOT. So I'm on the hunt for a replacement diesel tank if there is one, I've tried Woody with no luck so if anyone has or knows of one I'd be interested.

Will also post in the wanted section just in case!

Cheers - Shirty

Shirty

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed May 09, 2018 8:37 am

Good luck with the fuel tank. How did you get on finding replacement engine mounts?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi Shirty. Just to let you know that I have had a slight case of Brain Fade. Nothing unusual these days. BUT YES I HAVE A PETROL TANK FOR YOU.

It was in a van I have at home with a number of bumpers and radiators and other larger items including a complete LPG setup for a van.

So give me a call if you have still got my number - or if not drop me an email and I'll get back to you.
thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirty Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Finally, good news! the van is back!! cheers

Picked it up yesterday, & it ran great, nearly had it up to 60!

Engine seems quieter, guess that'd be due to actually having engine mounts that are in one piece! BTW Raggy the garage used some mounts from a Ford Pinto, they just had to put a couple of spacers in to level the motor up.

So onwards & sideways now I guess!

Thanks again Woodie, without your help it wouldn't have been possible Very Happy

Cheers  -  Shirty

Shirty

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 pm

Excellent news, been a long journey but well worth it. Handy news about the mounts.
Heres to many more miles of fun. Keep us posted how you get on with your travels. Good to hear the forum contacts helped out in the end.
Woodie is a star! Good on you for keeping at it when all seemed lost.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down