Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Car!

+3
Raggy
nhw2289
Logi
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First  Car! - Page 2 Empty Re: First Car!

Post by elfin girl Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:35 pm

I had a similar problem some years ago and mine turned out to be corroded wiring behind and under the passenger seat, I didn't fix it myself so unfortunately I can't be more specific on which wires.
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 am

nhw2289 wrote:(there is no working fuel gauge!)
if there are more things not connected  i think woodie could be correct. i had the same problem with mine a couple of years ago.. it was the speedosensor/cable

Woodie wrote:Is your orange coloured Engine Management Light on when you turn the ignition on Nick. Top right hand corner of the instrument cluster shaped like an Engine strangely enough.

On the other hand it sounds like it could well be the speed sensor in the Speedo Head. Were you doing over 40 - 45 when it started to cut out? Did it tick over but not respond to the throttle?

The speed sensor controls the ECU Unit and if it starts playing up it cuts the fuel supply and usually will just let the engine tick over. Turn it off and let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes maximum and it will restart and run fine until you go over 40 mph and then it will cut out again. If you keep at 40 or below it will run fine.

Have you started and run it again today Nick?

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:56 pm

All the lights come on to begin with. I'm pretty sure it was at all sorts of speeds when it started sputtering as if running out of fuel, it was doing this for a good 20 mins and progressively got worse and then just cut out, wasn't ticking over! The second time it cut out suddenly after 20 minutes of smooth driving at around 20 mph. I'm afraid to take it anywhere incase I get stuck! Haha

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:22 pm

I will give you a call tonight Nick. I'm up to my ears at the moment. You going to be near Wi-Fi for a WhatsApp call?

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks Woodie, unfortunately my wifi is quite bad like before as I am at home, sometimes it is better than others! I need to sort my phone out really...

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Anything I can do to help stopping it from doing it again? Need to pick up my girlfriend at 4 haha! i'll set off an hour early incase...

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Only other thing I can think of is a blocked fuel filter which is under the floor. They do tend to get left even when a full service is done.
Fuel pump usually works or it expires. No half measures. It's possible also that the pickup filter or gauze on the pump has got choked up, but unlikely.
When you turn the ignition on, can you hear the fuel pump at the rear in the petrol tank, start up and then stop because it has pressurised the Fuel Injection System. Simultaneously you should be able to hear a little click of a relay up under the dashboard roughly behind the brake fluid reservoir. That should keep you out of mischief for a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Matt. I see you are online. Have you got any ideas of what is going wrong with Nick's van?? I am running out of suggestions - sensible ones anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks woodie food for thought, I did think it could be fuel filter as it has run out of fuel half a dozen times in the last 2000 miles!!

Well I set off to pick up Sasha (my girlfriend) giving myself 2 hours on what would usually be a 40minute journey!

After 10 minutes it started losing power and juddering a little so I pulled over, as soon as I put the clutch down it cut out almost instantly. After about 10minutes of occasionally trying to start it up I'm on the road again. 10minutes later exactly the same thing happened. I lost power a third time whilst depressing the clutch but instead of pulling over I released the clutch to bump start it and finished the rest of the journey. I got there half an hour early in fact, and it turned out she was half an hour late! C'est la vie!

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:46 am

Sounds like its got problems.

If you don't know what you're looking at or for, you are in for a bumpy road.

Its a 15 year old vehicle, a cheap disposable Italian tin can! Basically welcome to running a classic car.

You need to do some simple tests when its cutting out to see what is still working and what isn't.

e.g. Is the fuel pump running? Are the injectors opening? Is it sparking? What fault codes are you getting? What live data are you getting?

But while its chewing its way though water, unless this is dealt with then you are on borrowed time anyway.

Are you happy to spend a grand or so fixing it, or as many people find out spend a grand not fixing it!!

Mr Optimist over and out Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Ok, I've had a little look... and it looks like im in or a bumpy road as it turns out I don't really know what i'm looking for!

I have addressed everything suggested to the best of my ability.

-The wires on the positive terminal look fine and don't budge when i wiggle them!

-I tried listening for fuel pump at the rear of petrol tank but don't really know what it sounds like and engine is pretty loud...

-I looked under and behind passenger seat and didn't see any corroded wires, in fact all the wires I have seen look ok...

-I have an inkling it might be the fuel filter but how do I get to it?

Highly Jetted, thanks for your input! Unfortunately I don't have £1k to spare but I do have lots of time, as I am an artist! I would like to try to fix myself as I can't afford to do much else. Unless anyone wants to do an art/fixing hijet swap?! Haha (worth a shot)!

what are injectors and how do i find out if they are opening? I tried to check spark plugs but i need to buy some larger sockets! Should I get a fault code reader? What's live data?

I am learning I promise! Thanks for your patience everyone!

Surprised

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:44 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VS600-Vgate-Scan-OBD2-EOBD-Motor-Fault-Code-Scanner-Reader-Tool-For-GM-Toyota-/351928210228?hash=item51f08e5334:g:VtcAAOSw2xRYSTCt

But if you don't know what you are looking for on the variables displayed on the live data you are in for a steep learning curve that only you can find. This will give you fault codes too.

But before buying a scanner, you need to find the ODB2 diagnostics port.

I'm not going to tell you where it is, because if you cannot find this out 1 way or another, then you are wayyyyy out of your depth.

Sorry to be an arse!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi all, I did a couple of the basic tests for the engine cutting out. I took out the spark plugs which were pretty grubby so i gave them a good scrub, tested them and the ht leads with a multimeter and carefully put everything back. I also half tested the injectors which seem to all be ticking when I put a screwdriver to them. So far the van runs smoothly and has not sputtered nor cut out! Hopefully this has fixed this problem for now!

Soooo back to the hunting problem, which to be fair isn't happening half as much now that the level of coolant in the pipe under the passenger seat seems to stay full! To be fair I do always keep the heater on - it does sometimes hunt when I turn it off. I suppose I need to check if there is water in the idle control valve next...

First  Car! - Page 2 Thumbn11

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 pm

keep up the reports and good work so far
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum