Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet?

+3
bushwhacker
PFM
discotroll
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet? Empty Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet?

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi all -

I'm now on my quest for a Hijet and been to see a 1.3 LPG van which has been stood for a while.

All seems as you would expect but the one thing I'm wary of is that it has the much-talked about up/down/up/down hunting idle. I've read various threads so I'm looking at the probability of the coolant level being either low or an air-block in the idle control valve but, in people's experience, should I avoid parting with my hard-earned cash for this van which may be giving the first sign of real issues, or is this regarded as an easy-fix, happens to all of 'em kind of situation.

Thanks for all the help,

Disco Troll.

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet? Empty Re: Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet?

Post by PFM Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Did you check the coolant level and what is the asking price?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet? Empty Re: Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet?

Post by bushwhacker Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:15 pm

As far as I remember the water just needs topping up if that happens.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:16 pm

Didn't get to see the coolant level (not 100% sure of what to look for and what is good/bad to be completely honest). Temp gauge sat at half-way whilst the van stood there idling.

Van is a 2003 and looking at paying about £500 tops.....

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:33 pm

If it isn't down to the water level being low then it is most likely to be the Temperature Sensor on the back of the cylinder head. It has 3 wires on a plug going into it.
From  cold it will warm normally on a high tick over then slowly settle down   and then all of a sudden it will rev-up and slow down then go on like that revving up, and dropping down.  

Replacing the Sensor is pretty straight forward with access through the removed gearbox cover. If this turns out to be the problem then I have used ones in stock.

Last edited by Woodie on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Woodie -

You have just described it exactly - started fine, high idle whilst it warmed then up/down all of a sudden...

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Yes, it is the sensor on the back of the head. Email me your mobile number to : thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Woodie wrote:Yes, it is the sensor on the back of the head. Email me your mobile number to : thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

You have mail Cool

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Would have preferred a female.

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Blimey! Hijet advice *and* smart one-liners! Shocked Very Happy

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Nobody is going to be as good as Logi. He is the King of the One Liners.

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Yep - reckon he's sitting on the side-lines, waiting for the best moment to get in a killer line that will blow us all out the water...

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:22 pm

So true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Aw shucks, Embarassed

(actually got bugger all worthless to add Wink )
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Logi wrote:Aw shucks, Embarassed

(actually got bugger all worthless to add Wink )

OK - We'll keep spinning this one along until we hit a suitable point for you to floor us with a belter! Very Happy  Bit like the straight guy in a double-act....

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Nah, I'm going to fuck with yer head and be boring Razz

The van, got a link to it or pics? TBH £500 is banger money, if it doesn't overheat it seems like a good price, imho.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Can't post links yet as I'm new(ish) to the forum but it is the one that either you or Woodie (I think) pointed me in the direction of when I posted as a newbie earlier in the week about getting a Hijet. It's on Gumtree and is in Waterlooville (Hampshire).

Price is low as it's on a Cat C but this is just the rear valance and back door dented (by a motorcycle of all things) but it comes with the replacement door so fixing isn't a big issue. Apart from that for a 2003 it's in good nick and ready for some TLC....

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Could you can get it for £350?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:48 pm

PFM wrote:Could you can get it for £350?

Don't think so - can I ask why £350?

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:52 pm

discotroll wrote:
PFM wrote:Could you can get it for £350?

Don't think so - can I ask why £350?

Cos it's £150 less than £500? Very Happy
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:52 pm

BOOM! BOOM! lol!

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Just looked at it again, yeah £350, needs more than a tailgate, bet the new one don't fit too well at the bottom and the lpg tank lives in there too. Be wary.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Oh yes - the rear bodywork all needs pulling out and sorting - as you say this will need to get fully sorted to match the replacement door.

I've had a crawl underneath and the LPG tank looks untouched - definitely no movement to it or the restraining straps or impact marks on it. The actual hit was between the LPG tank and the battery tray so they both look good and square still....

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 am

As long as the slam panel is straight. That's important obviously to shut the new tailgate.
But also it's a meaty bit of box section to straighten and not exactly the easiest DIY
Job..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:16 am

Did you check the water level the second time you looked at it?
I know you said that the temperature gauge stayed halfway. How long did you leave it running for and was it still blowing hot air out of the dash Vents?

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:22 am

(That's vents to the screen, not vents to the face which are always cold, DT)

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks for that reminder PFM. I tend to take that for granted, but forget that it can cause Newbies /New Owners to panic. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Big thanks to all for your input - I've passed on this particular Hijet after getting everyone's informed opinion so thankyou for saving my money (and "no" you don't all get to share it out amongst yourselves now Very Happy )

Like to give a special 'heads-up' to Woodie who took the time to talk the project through with me on the phone - and that's to a 'newbie' on the site not an established member of the Hijet gang so many thanks! cheers  cheers  cheers

Disco Troll (Duck!)

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Cheers DT(D). It's always nice to be able to help appreciative members, whether they are Newbies or Oldies.

Just remember that Newbies can look at problems or whatever from a fresh approach, thinking outside of the box. And older members benefit from their new or different knowledge.

So if you are aren't sure of something - then ask. Doesn't matter if it sounds stupidly simple or extremely difficult - you will still get the pee taken out of you whoever you are. You are in my book going to fit right in. Disc Duck !! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 pm

I've always believed it's better to look a dick asking than looking a bigger dick for not.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next