Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crankshaft pulley bolt removal? CB42 engine

2 posters

Go down

Crankshaft pulley bolt removal? CB42 engine Empty Crankshaft pulley bolt removal? CB42 engine

Post by Steve Zodiac Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Hello everyone Smile

Been a long since being on here last, luckily brothers Hi-jet has been behaving itself, mostly anyway.

Recently though its been leaking coolant straight out of the bottom of the water pump, thought the pulley was loose but the bearings are that bad it wobbles!
As I've got a Charade GTti with the CB80 engine I said I'd do it as to be honest I'd be better than a garage as I replaced my timing belt and water pump last year so know what's what, plus have a workshop manual for the CB23,60 and 80 and they are all very similar in this respect.
I had no real trouble doing it the CB80 as can feed a socket from an impact driver through the inner wheel arch and then rattled it off but with the Hi-jet it's a different matter of course.
Tried putting it in gear with brake on a using a breaker bar, no good as too much slack in the system to turn the bar enough to undo, tried the starter motor with same breaker bar, no good either as it just stops, tried to see if I could jam up the flywheel and saw a view port on top under the inspection cover on the floor but can't see enough with pipes and hoses in the way.
I'm not entirely sure if I can get my impact driver in the space in front of the bolt and am curious to see how other get this nut undone?

Thanks for any help, the only way I can see out is to see if I can get impact driver in there by taking the lower undertray off in front of the block
Steve Zodiac
Steve Zodiac

Back to top Go down

Crankshaft pulley bolt removal? CB42 engine Empty Re: Crankshaft pulley bolt removal? CB42 engine

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Impact driver would be my attack route.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Crankshaft pulley bolt removal? CB42 engine Empty Re: Crankshaft pulley bolt removal? CB42 engine

Post by Steve Zodiac Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks, exactly what I did do in the end, cheers Cool luckily it fitted just right once I'd took the intake trunking off.
Done it in less than a second Very Happy   Now the pulley is stuck Sad  CB23-60 and 80 manual says you can use bolts through the threaded holes in the pulley to extract it but I guess a puller will do just as good, excuse to buy a set, then maybe charge my brother hehe
Steve Zodiac
Steve Zodiac

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:36 pm

I use the threaded holes. Not a lot to grab with a 2/3 legged pulley without risking the belt grove.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Zodiac Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Cheers, finished this now, used the holes and it came of with no real problem. Changed the belt and everything put it all back together and then had the problem of torquing up the crank pulley bolt! In the end used same bolts to screw off the pulley to let me use a pry bar against the bodywork dividing the cabin whilst using a torque wrench to do up the nut.
Filled anti-freeze up and with a short spell of hunting it's all sorted, sounds much smoother, brother is well happy, MoT this month now, thanks for all the help
Steve Zodiac
Steve Zodiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down