Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorry but just have not pinpointed a direction answer but plenty of clues!

2 posters

Go down

Sorry but just have not pinpointed a direction answer but plenty of clues! Empty Sorry but just have not pinpointed a direction answer but plenty of clues!

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi Peeps,

I'm new to the forum, having recently become a surrogate mother (diy machanic) for my mums 2002 duel fuel hijet box van (its been converted into a little motorhome) which she loves....but sorry, I hate it......I think it might have something to do with the fact that I know it is going to become the bane of my life!

I have read lots of info/ posts in here (great forum, thumbs up!) regarding the coolant/ rad/ fan/ overheating, and I have just started (yesterday) working my way through the minefield of problems/ potential problems regarding the coolant system. I have recognised that the van has several issues with the system, which my mum has just been blissfully unaware of, or ignoring, but which need sorting sooner rather than later.

I am undertake the usual process of elimination as of now, and going to start with replacing the Radiator Cap and the Inner Expansion Cap (the one that looks exactly the same close to the expansion tank, under drivers seat).....now before you think there is loads of stuff on it, which I fully recognise and have read, bare with me, I can not find anywhere were it confirms if both the caps are exactly the same? Apologies in advance for long term members if it has been confirmed somewhere I have not found. The last posts I read before posting gave a strong clue because peeps talk about purchasing a 'set' but again not giving me a dead cert'.

I know this a long winded way of asking a very basic question, but its as much about saying a little extra in my first hello post, rather than nip in and say it in a one liner.

So......first of hello (I will be back!) and my question is, are both the cap's exactly the same, I simply order two?

Many thanks
James, in a cold, windy and wet Northern Ireland

Back to top Go down

Sorry but just have not pinpointed a direction answer but plenty of clues! Empty Re: Sorry but just have not pinpointed a direction answer but plenty of clues!

Post by Logi Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:39 pm

There are differing opinions, mine is flat cap on rad, expansion on tank. But, if it's not oveheating, leave it alone? Smile
And hello Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Sorry but just have not pinpointed a direction answer but plenty of clues! Empty Re: Sorry but just have not pinpointed a direction answer but plenty of clues!

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Logi wrote:There are differing opinions, mine is flat cap on rad, expansion on tank. But, if it's not oveheating, leave it alone? Smile
And hello Smile

Hi Logi, thanks for reply. There is the flat Radiator Cap, accessed from the outer front panel, and then there is another (similar pressure/ springed Cap) close to the expansion tank, accessed from (inside) under the drivers seat. They both look the same, I'm trying to confirm if they are, in which case I can crack on and buy a pair. I don't want to order two of the same if the inner cap does differ, my gut and clues on here tell me they are the same?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:04 pm

p.s it is overheating.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:54 pm

Mine are different as I said, and mine's doesn't overheat. caps are a good place to start, but check the bottom hose is hot and hard (oo-err Wink ) check the fan comes on, check the hoseclips, the standard ones are shit when they get old, it's all in the overheating section
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:16 am

My 993 vans both had sprung caps under passenger seat and flat caps on rad. My 1.3's have sprung on both. Use FRC 74 caps on both to be sure. First, drain system wiith rear higher than front. Then, fill sllowly as directiions with front higher than rear - use a slope or jack. If still overheats you may have more problems.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:30 pm

thanks for help guys....it does look like they do differ between the 993 and the 1.3, hers is 1.3 dual fuel. Many of the hoses are soft as putty and one was leaking on expansion so had already got new hose and heavy duty clips on way. Have got the two frc's this morning with next day delivery for 16 quid all in.......dealer quoted 36 quid each plus 6 delivery.....errm.....no thanks!.....Thanks for the advice on draining and filling when elevated ;0).....She's admitted to not running on lpg and just run on petrol since she bought......so next thing to do once coolant is all sorted is get my head around the lpg so she can start using it as intended......hopefully it works......ok, let's not go there......

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down