Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedometer accuracy?

+4
Logi
bushwhacker
dennispenis
Raggy
8 posters

Go down

Speedometer accuracy? Empty Speedometer accuracy?

Post by Raggy Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:44 pm

I did have 12" (155x70xR12) tyres on my van but have changes them to some nice 13" alloys (165x70xR13). Now didnt expect the speedo to read quite the same but its not showing quite what I expected. Due to the larger diameter it should be showing a slower speed than the actual speed i.e display 50 when I am actually doing 64 but been out and checked using a GPS speedometer on my phone and it tells me I am doing 55 when the speedo shows 60? Opposite to the expected. Checked using various web sites and it should be the reverse. Any ideas why and how accurate are GPS speedometers and should I just drive to the GPS one?
Also while on the subject does the speedo have a stop so that it never reads below 20mph?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Speedometer accuracy? Empty Re: Speedometer accuracy?

Post by dennispenis Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:14 pm

They are usually show about 10% slower than you are traveling. Did you try the GPS speedo with the smaller wheels on ?

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do
dennispenis
dennispenis
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:25 pm

Think I did but cant remember how accurate it was and dont fancy swapping wheels again just to check.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:19 pm

Your 12" tyre size is not correct anyway. The original equipment van tyres have a higher aspect ratio than 70 so comparisons are difficult.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by dennispenis Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:30 pm

What should they be?
It dosent state an aspect ratio on the door jar just 155R12-8PR
dennispenis
dennispenis
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:34 pm

If no percentage ratio stated it's 80%
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Logi wrote:If no percentage ratio stated it's 80%
Thats very interesting, (and very correct as it seems just found details of the exact tyres Ovation V-02 155/80 R12) as my original (well they were on it when I bought it and they were recently new) didnt have it quoted I just presumed 70. If I use 80 in that website comparison its suggests that my current 13" wheels should show a speed near enough what is actualy being done, for 60 mph on the speedo I would actually be doing 60.8 unfortunately not whats happening. What does yours display Logi as you have the same size tyre dont you?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Just had a thought, if my new tyres according to all the web sites should show virtually the same speed as being done, maybe its the speedo as last week it stuck then jumped from 50 to 60 (frightened the life out of me), Woody has advised me to lubricate it which will get done so I suppose I'll see what happens after thats been done and check again.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:01 pm

I have 165/70's on the front, 175/70's on the rear, mine's reads pretty close to the speed according to the "Your Speed" warning signs dotted about.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:00 pm

I think you'll find they are 85%.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:33 am

For once BW I have to disagree with you. My understanding is that tyre aspect ratio is 80% as Logi says. 
We have covered this subject several times now in the past 3+ years I have been on the Forum. I have 185/60/13's on mine and they give the same reading as the 155x12 's. The roadside speed check  signs here bare that out apart from one very tardy one. 

The easiest way to check the difference in your speed is to measure the Rolling Circumference of the two tyres and check the percentage difference of the two  tyre measurements.  Its easy enough.   One has to assume that with the standard 155x12 tyres the manufacturer has calculated the speedo correctly. 

Put a chalk Mark on your tyre and on the ground, then roll the wheel 1 complete revolution and measure the distance. Say for arguments sake the 155x12 is 40".
Do the same with the wider tyre you are using the chalk Mark and say that one covers 44" giving you an increase in distance covered of 4". That gives you a  10% increase in distance covered so your speedo is theoretically 10% slower. 
At   an indicated 27mph approximately, you will be doing 30mph, at an indicated  36mph you would be doing 40mph and so on. 

Using a Sat-Nav is the most accurate way to check out your speed obviously though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Checked out my original tyres and dont say anything on the tyre except 155x12C the web returns that they are 155x80x12 confirming the original thought of 80%. Got to agree with Woodie on how to test them but its wether I can be bothered! Using a spare phone for GPS speedo and the thing that started this whole thread off is that the difference accoring to the websites is 1.52% difference and should give a speed of 61mph when the speedo shows 60. Now thats acceptable but mine does not give that, it shows 60 but GPS displays 56! Opposite and bigger difference?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:16 pm

So your low profile tyres have a smaller rolling circumference that is roughly 10% less than the original 12" tyres, giving you lower gearing and slightly better acceleration, but a bit more fuel consumption depending on how much hard throttle you give it.

At least you will be under all the speed limits if you go by the Speedo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:27 pm

Woodie wrote:At least you will be under all the speed limits if you go by the Speedo.
Yes thats the big advantage Very Happy although I'm only thinking about the lower speed limits, dont intend to ever get to the motorway limit in it! Went on the M62 the other day where it splits to go off to the M1 and you have to be in the middle lane... rather un nerving in the rain with all the lorries belting past either side...but she coped well with it. Did think there was an issue as could hear noises....untill I realised it was just the rain hitting the van! Live and learn!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:53 pm

Mine's will sit at 80 without too much aggro on the motorway, eats fuel like a fat bird in MacDonalds tho
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:04 pm

But mines just the 993!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:15 pm

Those 993's cruise at 80mph really nicely - On the back of a tow truck.

Giggles aside, I find the Hijets speedo to be pretty accurate, especially when the needle is wiggling about like a rattle snake.

When the needle is pointing way beyond the numbers for 90, and the little dashes, you know that your hijet is a good one! It's probably doing about 93mph on the GPS.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LloydAJN Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:05 am

My speedo seems pretty accurate according to roadside speed limit signs.

Also while on the subject does the speedo have a stop so that it never reads below 20mph?

mine doesnt go lower than 5mph.

Mine goes past the speedo too, only done it once though, just had to try it, i assumed it was 95 or something.

and yeah, i can cruise at 70mpg anymore and the noise is a bit annoying and the steering wheels shakes. but yeah it drinks the fuel hard! i tend to drive it at about 64mph (according to the speedo) seems to be a relatively noticeable difference in revs between 64ish and 66ish so assume its about the most economical speed.
LloydAJN
LloydAJN
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by reeverixon Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:16 am

Hello, my speedometer is not working so not clocking miles or my speed, could someone please dirct me to somewhere i could by one for 2003 Daihastu Hijet.

Thank you

Reeve

reeverixon

https://www.reeverixon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Have you indentified that it's definately the head, and not a snapped cable?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by reeverixon Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi, yes at the local garage they checked it and said the head needs to replaced because it has worn out and i should also get a new cable.

Reeve

reeverixon

Back to top Go down

Post by reeverixon Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:22 am

Just wondering if any one know which is the best site and what type of cable and head for a speedometers for the Daihatsu Hijet 2003 I might need for this :-)

Thank you

reeverixon

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:16 am

There is a company in Swansea, Speedy cables who make them but never heard of a head unit ‘wearing out’. Before doing anything with the head unit just take the speedo cable out and have a look at it befor you spend anything else. Sounds a bit of guess work by the the garage rather than sone proper diagnostics.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:20 pm

99% of the time its the cable, it a really common fault on these vehicles because of the tight bends in the cable routing.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by reeverixon Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Thank you for your reply, I’m gonna try and remove it.
Spoke with the guys in Swansea, who said I should send it down to them to have a look at...thanks Reeve 🙌

reeverixon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down