Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello I'm Paulie a brand new owner of a Hiijet! obviously I need some advice...

5 posters

Go down

Hello I'm Paulie a brand new owner of a Hiijet! obviously I need some advice... Empty Hello I'm Paulie a brand new owner of a Hiijet! obviously I need some advice...

Post by PaulieMichael Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:53 am

Hello everyone, you all seem very helpful which is a relief.

I bet you all hate guys that buy hiijets and know nothing about them or mechanics....or am I wrong?
Anyway, I'm one of those guys, I've always wanted my own campervan and I've always loved these little vans so I decided its now or never.
I bought a 1999 1.3 yesterday and drove it all the way from Cornwall to Birmingham with no problems - this is a good sign right?

However, I did notice there was hardly any heat, I was actually freezing driving it, even though I'd put the heater on full and in red. There was just luke warm air coming through the windscreen, no air comes through anywhere else even when I moved the lever.
When I bought the hiijet I was aware that the petrol indicator doesn't work however, on my way home the heat gauge didn't move at all from the coolest temp. Myabe these problems are connected? or was it because my van was so cold?

When I got home there seemed to be fresh water on the passangers seat floor too, but I don't know if that was just from my water bottle - I'm sounding thick now...
...anyway I'm not but why do we all have to be mechanics to own a hiijet?

I would really appreciate some advice from anyone please, basically about what I should do to spruce it up or important things to check...do any of you live in Birmingham?
I'd really love some physical help, or should I just take it to a normal mechanic? I've read in a hread here though that mechanics often mis diagnose problems with hijets.

Any help would be great guys, I will learn as I go along but I am not ashamed to say I am officailly a newbie and I'm starting to think I didn't do as much homework as I should have Neutral

I just want to go on some nice trips and search for UFO'S! I don't want to have to have a degree in mechanics!! No

Thanks for taking the time to read, any help would be brilliant Smile
Paulie
PaulieMichael
PaulieMichael

https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialPaulieM

Back to top Go down

Hello I'm Paulie a brand new owner of a Hiijet! obviously I need some advice... Empty Re: Hello I'm Paulie a brand new owner of a Hiijet! obviously I need some advice...

Post by Raggy Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:59 am

Sounds like mine, no heat and no temp guage, turns out mine was that the thermosat had been removed to stop overheating issues, yours could be the same. Fuel guage is another fairly common issue but as recently mentioned its probably a tank removal to sort it. As for being a mechanic to own a hijet...comes with the terratory!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Hello I'm Paulie a brand new owner of a Hiijet! obviously I need some advice... Empty Re: Hello I'm Paulie a brand new owner of a Hiijet! obviously I need some advice...

Post by Guest Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:40 am

UFO'S?? There will be plenty of those soon enough in you garage, outside, in the garden. Spanners, hammers, screwdrivers, battery drills. You name it and you will be sending them flying with exasperation as you hit another problem, and probably your head as well if you are like me, on a metal surface on your van.

If you have no heat then it is due either to no water in the heater matrix, (and thus the engine cooling system) the top of which is higher than the filler cap on your radiator. Or more unlikely the heater control valve which is very inconveniently placed behind the radiator, which is placed behind the front bumper.
Welcome, Kevin Costner, to Water World otherwise known on here as Hi-Jet Ownership.

First thing you need to do is look on here at the correct way of filling up the Hi-Jet Cooling system with a watering can and a water/antifreeze mix.
Don't drive it until you have got the system topped and bled correctly. Then you can start to investigate where crucially you are losing the water from. By the way, topping up the expansion bottle under the passenger seat is not an option. If as in your case there is air in the system it CANNOT SYPHON back into the system. It is the hydraulic principle - like Brake pipes. If you have got air in the system, they don't work properly, or at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:21 pm

I just got one for the same reasons as you, particularly the now or never aspect. I'm still on my learning curve but am not upset by the idea of becoming an amateur mechanic if it saves me money and keeps my hijet alive. Though I suspect that you're right that if it managed to drive that distance whatever is wrong with it isn't fatal. Read up in the workshop section about overheating issues to make sure, I'm about to try and take the dashboard off mine just to make fitting a stereo and radio aerial a bit easier.
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:34 pm

You should be able to drop an ariel cable down without taking the dash off, may involve a bit of gymnastics, but should be possible. Have a go first before taking dash off.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulieMichael Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi guys, sorry I haven't replied in a couple of days I've actually been constantly working on Mitch! My little Hijet Smile

Thanks for the replies by the way they are much appreciated.
I found this guide on here:
https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1367-daihatsu-hijet-buyers-guide-a-little-information-for-getting-a-good-one

Which I'm sure your all familiar with, and it was the most helpful guide! so a big thankyou to member HighlyJetted
I followed the guide and did everything he suggested and I feel alot more confident now, my hijet seems to be in good order (touch wood) the coolant had no air and was right at the top, there seemed to be no spillage, no blue smoke from the exhaust, the body worked seemed good etc.

The temp gauge problem I mentioned - I think I've figured this out. I was really cold on my way home from Cornwall so I think te engine just didn't get really hot. I went on a little drive and then left my Hijet running outside my house and the temp gauge went up and just before it reached half way the automatic fan kicked in which was a relief because I thought I had a manual one (will get to this in a moment)

I can't figure out how to take off my front panel so if anyone can help me out with this I'd appreciate it, there doesn't seem to be any clip as my Hijet manual says there is.
I also have no reverse light - is this a common problem and expensive to fix?
Also my horn seems a tad tempreamental does anyone else have this problem?
Can anyone tell me what the cap is next to the steeing wheel on the dashboard underneath a little square lid?

Ok, now my main concern and a question I'd love answered.
There is a switch on the right had side of my steering wheel underneath the air vent and fog light switchs, it looks like its a msodification. When I switch it on the fan comes on at the front of the Van, the automatic fan that comes on when the temp reaches half way. Can anyone explain why this would have been installed?
Also there is a constant low tone coming from my dashboard that I think could be related to this strange switch, even when the van is turned off - anyone had anything similar?

If anyone could help me out with these questions I'd be very grateful, I'm actually really enjoying learning all these things and I hope I become quite familiar with mechanics Smile

@ danielfrisbee - How did you get on with the dashboard removal? and what's your van like?

Thanks guys - PaulieMichael
PaulieMichael
PaulieMichael

https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialPaulieM

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Ahhh, dot want to pour water on your recently lit fire for the van but having the fan and temp guage working while its on the drive stood still is not conclusive as mine did exaclty the same! No temp from vents or guage driving it on way home but worked fine on drive...I had no thermostat fitted. A hint cones from what you have found already, an override switch has been fitted to compensate for overheating issues, i.e trying to cool van as its getting hot too soon. I installed an override switch but only as a safety measure in case I get in heavy traffic just to stop it getting too hot. Most are fitted as a way of combatting overheating issues. Maybe check out if you have a thermostat fitted or drive it and see if you can get a reading whilst driving.
With heat from vents, dont get caught out like myself and others, there is no heat when its set to face, thats fresh air, heat only comes out when its set to screen and feet (and of course set to hot).

As for the noise, maybe fan is on all the time? Have a look underneath whilst it running but be careful.
The fluid pot you have found is the brake fluid resevoir.
Cant help with the other issues but sure Woodie or some of the other helpful people on here will be along soon to offer assistance.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:59 pm

I can confidently say that Your run from Cornwall and Birmingham will have been sufficient to warm the engine up! Raggy is right - the vents that face into the body of the van are always cold air only. Even if set on these you would normally feel a slight warm current at the windscreen vents. If you move the slider to windscreen only and still get no heat then something is definitely amiss. Heater matrix possibly and that could maybe explain the pool of water too... maybe.

The front panel will come off. They are just clipped in but sometimes get a bit stuck so need a bit of prising. Just try not to be too hung Ho and snap the clips. A bit of lube may help although you may find you can only get this in the right place once you've already got the panel off!

Don't worry about mechanical ineptitude. I am fairly clueless but with a lot of things like this if you are willing to have a go then there are people on the site who will do their best to help. Mad, bonkers mental people, admittedly, and you may not understand a word they are rambling on about, but helpful nonetheless!

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:26 am

I've not got round to the dashboard yet but glad as raggy's tip here might have saved me the bother. Mine is a blue mpv with all windows and seats, 1999 1.3. It's proving dead handy in London moving stuff and people around, particularly being able to do u-turns on just about any road, and being able to weave through central London traffic like I'm on my bike, it's bloody hilarious. And seems much appreciated by others.. I even drove it down a foot path and along the side of the canal to help a friend on a houseboat.
Fantastic little vehicle! Seems in generally good condition so hopefully it'll last. If yours is that red one in the picture, it looks pretty bonkers!
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 am

left my Hijet running outside my house and the temp gauge went up and just before it reached half way the automatic fan kicked in

Your thermostat has been removed.

Probably for a reason!

The reason being it will overheat and boil up when replaced, because the van has coolant system issues.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down