Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiator fan size and temp

Go down

Radiator fan size and temp Empty Radiator fan size and temp

Post by Raggy Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:41 pm

Just looking at sorting out the cooling to be on the safe side, going to put an override switch in (thanks Woody) but in the mean time looking if a better fan (and separate thermostat controlled so can set when it comes on auto) would be a worthwhile option. What size of fan would it be for a 993 and what temp (not got a thermometer to check) should a fan be encouraged to come on (not the last minute factory set temp when its too late).
My thoughts are better having more options than praying everytime I hit slow traffic!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Radiator fan size and temp Empty Re: Radiator fan size and temp

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:58 am

There is not to my knowledge an easy answer to that Raggy. I bought my first 993cc van, an S reg Island registered one about 4 years ago having owned only 1300 versions for the previous 8 years so it was a new experience for me, especially the gorgeous exhaust note of the 3 cylinder engine.

After a while it developed a leak on the radiator and not having ever bought a 993cc van before had no radiator and certainly wasn't going to spend £140 on a new one. So as I had plenty of 1300 rads which have monsterous fans on them, and all the bracketry to fit oneone, I set about fitting a 1300 set up. Easier said than done though. 1300 rads have both pipes at the bottom whereas 993 's have one top and bottom and the pipes are a much smaller diameter than the 1300 and in different places.
I had loads of rubber hoses of various shapes and sizes from my old Ford, Skoda and Alfa days, and lots of metal pipes from old exhaust systems so I was able to connect it all up after a lot of effort. The 1300 rad has a blanking plug in the bottom of the radiator between the two inlet/outlets which I took out and put the temperature sensor in as the 993 has it in a similar place. Only problem there as I mentioned earlier this week is that the 993cc doesn't have a relay in the circuit and the wiring is not the heavy gauge of wiring as on the 1300 fan.

Prolonged use of the fan would possibly overheat the wiring, but it never happened to me as the much bigger radiator almost always kept the temperature constantly low so fan rarely kicked in and when it did it only comes on for 10 to 15 seconds so never a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks, that thought passed my mind if anyone had done that, off out in cold to put the swich you sent me in. Think I will see how that goes first and evaluate from there. General running seems OK and temp guage once thermostat has kicked in gets needle to stay a fraction under half way, its once you slow down so hoping the switch will help with that, admittedly not done lots of driving in slow traffic so far so not been an issue, just wanting to do all I can so it does not become an issue.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down