Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey hey from camo-dot

3 posters

Go down

Hey hey from camo-dot Empty Hey hey from camo-dot

Post by camo-dot Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 am

Bought my second Hijet a couple of weeks ago - I'm super happy and she looks like she's a great little runner with one careful previous owner who passed it on to his 'nice-but-dim' nephew. Only done 34,000 miles (2001 EFI 1.3 panel van) and mostly had annual servicing.

My brother fixed odd bits at the weekend (the bearings on both sliding doors, rear heated window, replaced spark plugs, checked brakes, fluids, resin-filled the floppy driver's mirror, replaced wipers etc). I made the tea. And tightened some bolts. Hey, it's a start ... I'm not a complete numpty, just need to learn.

There's still an intermittent fault with the heater blower and we couldn't work out how to access to clean / check (i think small mammals have lived in some parts of the vehicle judging by the amount of feathers and organic matter that have blown out of it so far). Now got the pdf manual from here ...

My plan is to insulate and panel the interior - just looked at floor insulation post here, great that's do-able. Any advice about how to baton/ plyline the sides and ceiling ? Is this a good idea ? Seen posts about carpeting the walls ? Wondering how thick/ thin the ply could be so it could flex over the curves. It's primarily for warmth.

Ok, that's me. And Dot.

camo-dot

Back to top Go down

Hey hey from camo-dot Empty Re: Hey hey from camo-dot

Post by Eightpot Wed May 20, 2015 2:19 pm

I looked into ply lining the sides, but decided that it'll be a loss of precious internal space.  So I decided to stick bubble foil insulation to the metalwork then looked into using automotive carpet over the top. Baulked at the price and went with fleece material instead.  It's easy to apply, follows the curves in the van well and looks okay.

Spray adhesive for both the insulation and fleece.

Hey hey from camo-dot 11052034_10153290197269362_2393394767059513485_n

Last edited by Eightpot on Wed May 20, 2015 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding a pic)

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 20, 2015 11:07 pm

Sounds like a really good deal to me. Sounds like it's your brother that is the complete nutter. All that work for a couple of cups of tea.
Can you get you get him to come down to the Isle of Wight and do some work for me??

Back to top Go down

Post by camo-dot Thu May 21, 2015 8:28 am

also got him out of the house for a few hours ... his passion is his motorbike. He's just a great brother - I'm sure he'd prefer to tinker full-time rather than his desk job, but that's what pays the bills at the moment.
Good to meet you Woody - you seem to be a fount of knowledge (and spare parts Wink

camo-dot

Back to top Go down

Hey hey from camo-dot Empty Eightpot - warmth factor

Post by camo-dot Thu May 21, 2015 8:35 am

Thanks for your advice Eightpot - no condensation problems i'm guessing ? as well as quick, cheap and simple (3 of my favourite characteristics). What sort of fleece ?

camo-dot

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu May 21, 2015 8:45 am

Welcome along, must agree that reducing the space available by any amount is a no no. Unless you're a midget?Smile Heater blowers are a reasonably common problem, I need to wiggle mine before it works ( no Woody, wasn't being smutty Razz.) Having a Hijet will make sure that you learn how to fix it......
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am

Condensation is mostly caused by poor ventilation and you breathing. Unless you can hold your breath for the duration you are in the van you'll always have some condensation - it'll always find a place to settle. I just leave a window cracked open a touch but am looking into fitting a vent in the future.

The fleece I bought was from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-colours-Polar-FLEECE-soft-fabric-material-antipill-150cm-wide-sold-by-metre-/261871418914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cf8c0be22

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 21, 2015 11:56 am

Oh Logi !! How could you possibly think that I would think that you were being smutty??

Wouldn't have crossed my mind. lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Blimey !! You're learning fast C.D. Been up late reading Forum Posts?
Welcome to the Mad House.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Oh and by the way. Fount of all Knowledge
I am not. That Mantle definitely goes to Matt - - Highly Jetted.
But yes I have got a few spares Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum