Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

would a Daihatsu porter headlight fit a Hijet efi 2003 ?

+3
Swarfing
HighlyJetted
peekatu
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

would a Daihatsu porter headlight fit a Hijet efi 2003 ? Empty would a Daihatsu porter headlight fit a Hijet efi 2003 ?

Post by peekatu Sun May 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Would a Daihatsu porter headlight fit a Hijet efi 2003 ? Smile
peekatu
peekatu
Clubman

Back to top Go down

would a Daihatsu porter headlight fit a Hijet efi 2003 ? Empty Re: would a Daihatsu porter headlight fit a Hijet efi 2003 ?

Post by HighlyJetted Sun May 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Don't think there is such a thing.

There are Piaggio Porters....

And really all of our UK spec Hijets are really Piaggio Porters, as they were made in the Piaggio factory in Itally.

So yes, the head lights will fit, but make sure they are right hand drive UK spec headlights or they will point the wrong way.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

would a Daihatsu porter headlight fit a Hijet efi 2003 ? Empty Re: would a Daihatsu porter headlight fit a Hijet efi 2003 ?

Post by peekatu Mon May 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks just need to find where to buy them Smile
peekatu
peekatu
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 pm

As far as I know all Hi-Jets were Piaggio's made under license by Daihatsu. Every one I have dismantled, the Vin Plate states Piaggio on it.
New Headlights are not available to the best of our research here on the Forum. Daihatsu ran out of stock a couple of years ago. They were around £500 each new then.
Valeo the headlight manufacturer only make Continental ones as HJ said - - Right Hand Dip.
Scrapyards, Dismantlers etc are charging up to £250 each secondhand headlight.
There are still cheap headlights out there in the breakers, just so long as the breaker is oblivious to the current famine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Mon May 04, 2015 11:31 pm

You could be the first with a xenon projector kit fitted? I can make you a clear lens if you like and and all you would need to do is spray the inside of your existing light mat black. About £30 quid for the projector kit, bulbs and ballast kit. Plus the cost of the perspex to replace the glass on your headlight?
Check this to get a visual....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131468854717?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just an idea and a great way to recycle all these dud lights would mean a good few more years out of these buses.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2015 12:18 am

Why perspex and not the original glass?? It wouldn't look right either with the flat perspex recessed to the cowling level.

If you reckon you could make it work you will be a hero and a National Treasure.

Back to top Go down

Post by peekatu Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 am

Hi thanks for the advice ... the headlights are good apart from the chrome at the back  has gone a little .... I  seen on here that you can respray them with a chrome  paint ,how good that is I don't know , but need them done  to pass the MOT ..
peekatu
peekatu
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue May 05, 2015 6:00 am

Headlamps are probably the biggest bugbear to Hijet owners, period. So called "chrome " sprays are just bright silver, nfu for headlamps, I posted a link to proper chrome spray a while ago but it's prohibitively expensive, recently looked at the Extol lights, as they've got the height adjustment required for commercial vehicles, look possible to get to fit.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

The Extol Headlights are a good bit bigger Logi. I have an Extol in the yard so could send you comparison pictures. I think they look nicer and the lens is also plastic which stands up to knocks a bit better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Tue May 05, 2015 9:50 am

The perspex would be moulded so the same shape as the glass. As for why it's because HID's work differently and the surface pattern of the glass would disperse the light and cause glare to other drivers. Have a google there is loads of info about how they work. The only issue I do see is the side light which would need a silver reflector unless that could be swapped for something else. My comment was really an off the cuff remark as many have been modifying their lights, so why not the hijet fraternity?

Let me do some investigation on whether it really is a viable option?

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by peekatu Tue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Logi wrote:Headlamps are probably the biggest bugbear to Hijet owners,  period.  So called "chrome " sprays are just bright silver,  nfu for headlamps, I posted a link to proper chrome spray a while ago but it's prohibitively expensive, recently looked at the Extol lights, as they've got the height adjustment required for commercial vehicles,  look possible to get to fit.

Hi the paint i was looking at is this             http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320483309156
peekatu
peekatu
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by peekatu Tue May 05, 2015 12:31 pm

woody wrote:The Extol Headlights are a good bit bigger Logi. I have an Extol in the yard so could send you comparison pictures. I think they look nicer and the lens is also plastic which stands up to knocks a bit better.

Comparison pictures would be great!!, yes send please ...thanks
peekatu
peekatu
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue May 05, 2015 7:06 pm

peekatu wrote:
Logi wrote:Headlamps are probably the biggest bugbear to Hijet owners,  period.  So called "chrome " sprays are just bright silver,  nfu for headlamps, I posted a link to proper chrome spray a while ago but it's prohibitively expensive, recently looked at the Extol lights, as they've got the height adjustment required for commercial vehicles,  look possible to get to fit.

Hi the paint i was looking at is this             http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320483309156

It will not come out like the lid !!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by peekatu Tue May 05, 2015 8:58 pm

http://chromepaint.com/                              Have you seen this ?
peekatu
peekatu
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue May 05, 2015 9:44 pm

peekatu wrote:http://chromepaint.com/                              Have you seen this ?
Buy some, try it, let us know  Twisted Evil
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue May 05, 2015 9:48 pm

peekatu wrote:

Logi So called "chrome " sprays are just bright silver, 
Evil or Very Mad
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by peekatu Wed May 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Logi wrote:
peekatu wrote:http://chromepaint.com/                              Have you seen this ?
Buy some, try it, let us know  Twisted Evil

Yes I will , I emailed the company ...waiting for them to get back to me  cherry
peekatu
peekatu
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat May 16, 2015 3:30 pm

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 3:33 pm

You are out of touch!! You can pay between £150 & £250 at some Breakers. I won't part with one for less than £150.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Sat May 16, 2015 6:28 pm

Without upsetting the apple cart?

http://chromepaint.com/shop/liquid-chrome/

250ml for £58

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Sat May 16, 2015 6:29 pm

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat May 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Missed out on one in a breakers in Dumfries, they'd sold the good one already.

Price??

£15...

Was plus vat mind, Mad
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Complete waste of time and money. It doesn't look any brighter than the silver paint on your wheels.
I tried it and took it for Mot and it would not pass.
Personally I think Halfords that sold it to me should be taken the Office of Fair Trade for misrepresentation. It looks nothing like the Chrome finish on the lid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Sat May 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Woody that is not the same stuff you get from halfords and the like, it is a completely different composite and not a true spray paint. When this stuff came out they were charging hundreds for it. Chrome paint is just a coloured paint as you say and a bit of a con.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Sat May 16, 2015 9:33 pm

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 10:37 pm

So we're Daihatsu for Headlights. affraid
They were £500 each before they ran out of stock over 2 years ago.
I think that Logi and/or Matt have looked into this reflector problem and trying to find solutions.
I thought I had found an answer last year with a Nissan headlight that even had the electric load leveller on the unit too but it turned out to be to deep to fit in the lack of space in a Hi-Jet.
We unfortunately seem to cover this same old ground every 6 months or so with the new members that come and go.
I genuinely wish I could find a practical solution to our problem. The trouble is always time or money and the two never seem to go hand in hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Sat May 16, 2015 11:18 pm

I looked at the HID conversion and realistically as a one off is possible. Trouble is it would take a lot of time and effort, the other problem is the sidelight and at the end of the day would not be legal. The expensive chrome spray or hydro chrome or water chrome are viable options but does take a lot of due care to get it right. The black base coat is the important bit and to use as high gloss as possible. I have my drivers side to replace as it has crack/ hole in the glass. I have a replacement with crap reflector so will give the wrap a go to see how it looks, it's not expensive so worth a try. If I'm not happy with that then I will give the spray a go and will do a write up good or bad so at least others can see if viable or not rather than guess. At least will know for sure.
There is a lad who drives his pimped up 3.0 1.0L saxo around the corner from us. It has Chrome wrapped bonnet and even though the car looks shit the wrap does look like a very bright chrome.

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottyboy Sat May 16, 2015 11:34 pm

I used adhesive foil, worked perfectly

Scottyboy
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 17, 2015 6:37 am

I did have a go at that Scott, but it just ended in a folded mess of tin foil .  Applying flat material on a multi curved surface you cannot defy the laws of physics and you have to end up with lots of folds or usually teares in the foil.

If the material was plastic backed and stretchy and can be heated up to stretch then yes I can see that working.
The flat roofing material I use called Alwitra , a German product can be heated up to stretch it into shapes in internal corners and bends that defy the laws of physics and over the past ten years of using it I have got the mastery of it but it obviously does reach it's limitation point.

I haven't seen this " wrap " in operation but have seen a few examples and it does look amazing so if it can be stretched  into internally curved applications I would certainly like to see how it performs .

One concern would be how much heat it can sustain. A normal Halogen 60/55w bulb gives off a hell of a lot of heat and the top of the reflector gets exceedingly hot.
The bulbs I use in my Hi-Jet's are 100/80w and 130/100w in my  MPV so double the light and heat so would be interested how the wrap could cope with the higher power bulbs. You can't buy the 130/100w bulbs any more but I still buy the 100/80w ones and have loads of them in stock but sadly I have only got 4 of the 130/100w left now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next