Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!!

+2
waz
Logi
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! Empty 10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!!

Post by andy pyke Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:00 pm

Soooo excited (and a little apprehensive!) as tomorrow I will be catching a train to pick up a Hijet I bought on ebay. Risky and impulsive, I know, but I've lusted after one of these for years and this weekend I decided I couldn't wait any longer.

As a complete non-mechanic I have no doubt that I'll be spending plenty of money on this project and getting my hands dirty on a car for the first time in 47 years. First concern is to get it back home in one piece. I've read all the stuff on over-heating....very worrying! Anyone know a good mechanic in Maidstone, Kent?

Haven't been this excited over a new car for many years Smile

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! Empty Re: 10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!!

Post by waz Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi Andy, I am from Maidstone and can recommend a good mechanic.
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! Empty Re: 10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!!

Post by Guest Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:41 am

welcome Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:17 pm

waz wrote:Hi Andy, I am from Maidstone and can recommend a good mechanic.

That would be really useful, thanks. Drove it home from Southampton to Maidstone this afternoon. Honestly thought it would be 50/50 whether I made it but no problems really apart from it being soaking wet inside. I'm sure I'll start to discover the other problems over the coming days.

Andy

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 pm

andy pyke wrote:
waz wrote:Hi Andy, I am from Maidstone and can recommend a good mechanic.

That would be really useful, thanks. Drove it home from Southampton to Maidstone this afternoon. Honestly thought it would be 50/50 whether I made it but no problems really apart from it being soaking wet inside. I'm sure I'll start to discover the other problems over the coming days.

Andy

And thanks Scotia! (haven't yet worked out how to reply in line)

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:18 am

i am dutch but can understand english pretty wel
but i havent got a cleu what you ment by that... ``replying in line``

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:49 am

Andy - scroll down to the bottom of the page where you'll find a quick reply box and then a POST REPLY button - use either.

Scotia - Andy was replying using QUOTE rather than the methods above. And yes, your English is very good.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:33 am

aah ok thanx

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:37 am

The sheer quantity of beer that gets drunk up at Val Thorens during Dutchweek is crazy!

Respect those crazy Dutch
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:49 am

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:00 pm

So,  I now own a P reg 1.0 EFI MPV Hijet. Its sat on my drive with a tarp over it as the sunroofs have obviously been letting water in for a long long time and all the seats are wet.  The headliner is missing so I imagine someone tried to fix it in the past and failed.

Good bits:

+ Drove from Southampton to Maidstone without overheating
+ Looks like a new exhaust has been put on
+ Gear change was good
+ Drove in a straight line
+ Haven't seen any major rust yet

Bad Bits

+ Leaking sunroofs: No trim around them so assume someone tried to fix and lost all the bits. Screws    missing
+ No headlining. Probably ruined and thrown away previous owner
+ Drivers side sliding door mechanism broken
+ Passenger side sliding door mechanism rough
+ Window winders not working
+ Throttle: Very stiff
+ Back door operates fine but peeling paint from a large dent

Open to suggestions, but my plan of attack is to get it watertight first and then have a mechanic look at the engine so that I can get an idea of whether its worth spending time and money on doing up.

What do you think?

Last edited by andy pyke on Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:50 am

I should be able to help with sunroof surrounds and their fittings and the headlinings too. You'll need two pairs of hands to glue them in place unless you are an Octopus.

Also got door runners and new ball bearings for middle rail.I just bought 40 of them. Also the middle rails if needed. Window mechanisms NO. I keep them for sales vehicles. They are available on E-bay from the TreadMill Doctor for around £20 which is stupid money.  
My number is 0786 303030 9 . Email :  hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com.

And nearly forgot : WELCOME TO THE WACKY WORLD OF HI- JET OWNERSHIP AND LEOPARD PAGANS WONDERFUL CREATION OF THIS GREAT HI-JET FORUM.

Back to top Go down

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! Empty Is this for coolant?

Post by andy pyke Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Had a closer look today and need a little advice.Don't laugh, but is this where the coolant is/should be? Where does the non-connected pipe go to?

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! ?set=a.10153344857584966.1073741834

WD40 on the sliding doors and they seem to work! Will clean them up this weekend and see how good I can get them.

Thanks Smile

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Andy, looks like the overflow pipe
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:03 pm

andy pyke wrote: tomorrow I will be catching  a train to pick up a Hijet

Hi. Smile

How the f^ck did you get a Hijet on a train? lol!
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:20 pm

By the sounds of the coolant system you should have bought a return ticket!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:13 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:By the sounds of the coolant system you should have bought a return ticket!

It did get him back from Southhampton without overheating
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Hey, Waz, who was the mechanic in Maidstone that knows his way around Hijets? I really need to get some mechanical things looked at ASAP!

Many thanks

Andy

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:30 am

Hmmm friends are taking the p*ss out of my little obsession Sad

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! 10438331_10153367079854966_9194383785081938955_n

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:44 am

Yeah, that happens, until they need something shifted, then attitudes change Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 am

I find the thing that seems to attract a lot of attention (apart from the lovely growl from my Stainless Exhaust System) is from bystanders in towns watching you squeeze into a gap that most people would have a job to ride a pushbike into and doing a "three point turn" in ONE GO.
Always puts a smile on my face seeing their reactions.

Don't worry about you mates or other Idiots comments. You just enjoy your Hi-Jet and stick two fingers in the air to all those plonkers who can't park their big cars and MPV'S on the street.
Then have to find a space in the Pay Car Parks or even more funny, - - can't get their monstrosities under the barrier or in the Multi Storey Car Parks.
By the time they have driven round the town half a dozen times looking for a space we have done a Family Shop in the local Supermarket and gone again.
Not to mention the fuel economy especially if you have Dual Fuel Hi-Jets as most of mine are.

You hang in there Son and laugh at the Devil.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:54 am

i tottaly agree with woody.
the ones that say they dont like it and laugh are probably realy insecure douchebags.

in a city not far from here there is a carmeeting/gathering every sundaynight.
sometimes there are hundreds of modified cars there.
you should see the faces when i arrive there in my hijet and honk my t-ford horn a couple of times  Shocked  What a Face
i think thats realy funny and put up a steel face when arrive and park it up.

i have noticed that the ones that laugh are almost every time the modified unoriginal golf/corsa/bmw drivers.
they tent to be the bully type that likes to laugh at other people because they are realy insicure and want to hide it with douchbaggery.
they themself probably wouldnt have the balls to arrive in an hijet...ore be original and stand out from the crowd.

if anybody laughs at you doesnt that say more about that persons tiny balls than your tiny van.?

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am

Smile. Smile

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! Empty Should this be loose?

Post by andy pyke Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:25 am

Hey guys, this cap on the engine is loose. Is that OK? There is very little thread on it and it wont do up tight and still have the oipes facing in the wrong direction...

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! Photo

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm

i cant see the picture, only a small icon..
are there more members with this problem?

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:52 pm

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:53 pm

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! 10171815_10153371875614966_3890390263363818013_n

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

10th November...I get to meet my new Hijet!! Empty There's the picture...

Post by andy pyke Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:54 pm

scotia wrote:i cant see the picture, only a small icon..
are there more members with this problem?

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Andi, Nigel said you had phoned him, have you been to see him yet. Was that photo of your van taken at Senacre Hall ?
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 pm

The black cap is the oil filler cap - it just pushes on and then you can twist it to line up the breather tube.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next